PDA

View Full Version : How do I wire a stepper driver to a stepper motor?

swood1
20-09-2014, 07:06 PM
This may sound a stupid question but I am new to playing with stepper motors and drivers. I am hoping someone can help with my query. Basically I bought some stepper driver boards off Fleebay. The drivers have 6 connectors for the outputs. These are:-

- Enable +
- Enable -
- Direction +
- Direction -
- Pulse +
- Pulse -

I only have 4 connectors on my breakout board, these are

XE - enable?
XD - direction
XS - Pulse/step
XN - Ground

Would I be right to assume the three negatives are linked together and then back to XN?

Steve

Clive S
20-09-2014, 09:15 PM
This may sound a stupid question but I am new to playing with stepper motors and drivers. I am hoping someone can help with my query. Basically I bought some stepper driver boards off Fleebay. The drivers have 6 connectors for the outputs. These are:-

- Enable +
- Enable -
- Direction +
- Direction -
- Pulse +
- Pulse -

I only have 4 connectors on my breakout board, these are

XE - enable?
XD - direction
XS - Pulse/step
XN - Ground

Would I be right to assume the three negatives are linked together and then back to XN?

SteveGenerally enable does not need to be used so just ling the -ve on the others. ..Clive

cropwell
21-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Generally enable does not need to be used so just ling the -ve on the others. ..Clive

I learnt my lesson with floating inputs 30 years ago, so my question is - is there usually built in bias towards the enabled state in stepper drivers ?

swood1
21-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi Clive,

Thanks I shall give it a go, see what happens.

EddyCurrent
21-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I learnt my lesson with floating inputs 30 years ago, so my question is - is there usually built in bias towards the enabled state in stepper drivers ?

In my Leadshine manual it says, High level for enabling, low level for disabling. Usually left unconnected (enabled)

So the default state you might say is 'enabled', I expect that rather than floating, the input has a pull-up resistor to keep it 'high'

Clive S
21-09-2014, 12:51 PM
In my Leadshine manual it says, High level for enabling, low level for disabling. Usually left unconnected (enabled)

So the default state you might say is 'enabled', I expect that rather than floating, the input has a pull-up resistor to keep it 'high'
Thanks' for that it saved me replying I do use my enables but as you say it is not necessary. ..Clive

swood1
21-09-2014, 01:01 PM
So let me get this correct. Do I only connect the following:-

Direction - to XD
Pulse - to XS

All other connections are left disconnected.

irving2008
21-09-2014, 05:40 PM
There are a couple of options but the common one is:

Pulse+ to XS, Pulse- to XN
Direction+ to XD, Direction- to XN