PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen doors

D-man
22-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Ok guys just a quick question...

Since the new machine is almost done, ive been asked if im able to renew the parents and in laws kitchen cupboard doors.

My question is, how do these companies get the laminate over the top to finish them off?

I'm guessing the manufacture of the doors are from MDF, But like is said how would you finish them off in say a gloss or a matt finish?

Cheers

IanS1
22-10-2014, 06:15 PM
This might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKoufkFyp8

JAZZCNC
22-10-2014, 07:58 PM
So there's your next build.!. . .Lol

D-man
22-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Haha yeah I was just about to say that! Bugger making another machine just to do a dozen doors haha

Ger21
22-10-2014, 11:58 PM
You can always paint, but it's a lot easier to just buy them new doors, lol.

mekanik
23-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Got a mate who is a Joiner and specializes in that sort of stuff, he makes them and has them sprayed.
Mike

cropwell
23-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Got a mate who is a Joiner and specializes in that sort of stuff, he makes them and has them sprayed.
Mike
you can also spray them yourself. If you haven't got the kit, then cans will do the job. I would recommend that a car sprayer lacquers them with 2 pack for durability, but it would probably work out cheaper to just buy the doors.

I restored my guitar a couple of years ago and sprayed it black with a sunburst of silver flake and a candy black edge. After a coat of lacquer it polished up well. It looks a lot better than the sorry state it came back to me in (after a long term lend).

The shapes you see in the front are reflections of the staircase it hangs in.http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13686&stc=1

JAZZCNC
23-10-2014, 03:26 PM
You can also plastic coat them your self.? . . . . Yes plastic coating wood I've got one of these and it works a treat. http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

D-man
23-10-2014, 05:44 PM
now were talking Jazz! im very suprised at that i thought you could only powdercoat with conductive materials

JAZZCNC
23-10-2014, 08:02 PM
now were talking Jazz! im very suprised at that i thought you could only powdercoat with conductive materials

Nope I don't even use an oven just a Big Gas heater which heats my work shop. (Like those used in Kabab shops but horizontal) and I've even used just an heat gun for small parts.

Warn you thou bloody stuff goes every where so cover up.! . . . . . . I love it thou because it's far better than paint and any over spray just settles as powder dust which blows or vacs off.
Clean up is simple just blow out the gun with air no messing around with thinners and gunwash etc.

Finish is nice as you see in pics and some good colours but you need to experiment as they don't always turnout like they show. The chrome for instance is awesome when first applied but needs a clear top coat and soon as you do this it goes a crappy silver grey colour.!

D-man
23-10-2014, 08:10 PM
looks nice that pal! are these machines you are building for peeps?

EddyCurrent
23-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I restored my guitar a couple of years ago

Must be a self build I don't recognise the shape.

cropwell
23-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Must be a self build I don't recognise the shape.

It's a Westone Spectrum GT, about 30 years old. Japanese.

jimbo_cnc
24-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Just as I was moving away from MDF, I find out you can powdercoat it! I am very interested in how resilient to knocks an edge roundover is. And how easy it is to spray cupboard sized areas.

JAZZCNC
24-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Just as I was moving away from MDF, I find out you can powdercoat it! I am very interested in how resilient to knocks an edge roundover is. And how easy it is to spray cupboard sized areas.

Spraying cupboard size areas will be easy enough but cooking the buggers will need proper oven setup. Knock wise then to be honest I'm not sure on MDF but suppose it will match paint.? . . Will try next time I've got it out and bash it up a bit.!

Ger21
24-10-2014, 02:34 AM
We actually buy some powder coated MDF components on a somewhat regular basis. I believe that it's far more difficult to do than powder coating metal. The MDF needs to be preheated before coating to prevent outgassing during baking. It also needs a low temp powder. And I've heard that climate control of the MDF is critical.

The supplier we've been using does outstanding work, and it's really an amazing product. We haven't done any destructive testing, but it appears to be far more durable than any other finish you could put on MDF.
While it's fairly inexpensive, we've found that you do get what you pay for. We got some samples from a (much) cheaper supplier, and their quality was not nearly as good.
If you can find a shop that does it in your area, you might be surprised at how affordable it can be. I'd highly recommend it.

Mylesrussell
02-10-2016, 05:08 PM
If I were you, I would strip back using a quality sanding paper with a medium grit, and then buy some high quality waterproof paint (http://www.internationalpaintsuppliers.com/coatings-additives-/custom-mixed-disolac-industrial-paint/)

Good luck with the project :wink: