PDA

View Full Version : Vcarve workpiece orientation

D-man
29-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a bit or a mate at the moment with the workpiece in vcarve pro outputting to the machine.

for example if I want to cut along the Y on the machine I have to create my workpiece vertically in VCP

any ideas

Bazzer
29-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Not sure I understand, can you upload a vcarve file and I'll have a look if you want

D-man
29-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Don't think the file would help much to be honest as I think it on my side.

Basically if im doing text along the width of my table I have to draw it vertically in VCP. When really it should be across my screen

Ger21
29-10-2014, 10:34 PM
In V-Carve Pro, the X axis is left to right. It sounds like you stand at your machine with the X axis moving from front to back.

D-man
29-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm running the uniport.

There's Geary, is there a way to solve this orientation wise?

Earle
29-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a bit or a mate at the moment with the workpiece in vcarve pro outputting to the machine.

for example if I want to cut along the Y on the machine I have to create my workpiece vertically in VCP

any ideas
Like me you stand to the side of the machine, I just swopped over the X and Y axis where the cables go into the control box. Solves it in 2 seconds

Thus you can design in vCarve in the orientation you prefer.

happy milling

earle

D-man
30-10-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm unable to do that due to running 2 motors on the x

phill05
30-10-2014, 09:36 AM
draw it in X-axis and rotate into Y-axis

D-man
30-10-2014, 09:39 AM
yeah thats what im currently doing but thought i would rather try and fix it so i dont have to mess about

phill05
30-10-2014, 09:45 AM
It only takes a couple of key strokes!!

D-man
30-10-2014, 09:52 AM
yeah, i get that, but surly you can see im a fussy twat haha

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 09:54 AM
This is how my machine is, you can see the direction of text on a work piece. When I designed that workpiece on my computer the text would be showing left to right.

So is your's like that ? if so then it's normal.

phill05
30-10-2014, 10:02 AM
yeah, i get that, but surly you can see im a fussy twat haha

Wait till your asked to design text on one piece at all different angles & upside down and raised & sunken then you might get fussy.

D-man
30-10-2014, 10:02 AM
so its a case of just living with it

phill05
30-10-2014, 10:32 AM
If you were doing lots of it the same way then you might want to change but if you are working on different layouts I would say leave as is, quick rotate is select all press Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right

Ger21
30-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm unable to do that due to running 2 motors on the x

Then just change your ports and pins settings (and slave settings), so that you have two motors on your Y axis, and one on the X.

Earle
30-10-2014, 01:36 PM
If you were doing lots of it the same way then you might want to change but if you are working on different layouts I would say leave as is, quick rotate is select all press Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right

Surely that just rotates vectors that you have created on the workpiece it does not rotate the workpiece. When I looked into this originally I could not see or find (google) anyway of rotating the job/workpiece. It would be great if you could rotate everything on the XY Datum.

Earle

Ger21
30-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Surely that just rotates vectors that you have created on the workpiece it does not rotate the workpiece. When I looked into this originally I could not see or find (google) anyway of rotating the job/workpiece. It would be great if you could rotate everything on the XY Datum.

Earle

You can use G68 in Mach3 to rotate the program 90°.

BUt my preference would always be to configure the machine to match V-Carve Pro. Having to rotate anything should be a rare case, rather than the norm.

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Maybe part of the answer lies here; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8004-DRO-backwards?highlight=backwards
D-man, how did this conclude ?

phill05
30-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Earle
The Vectors are the workpiece!!

D-man
30-10-2014, 02:09 PM
As Gerry mentioned i reversed ports and pins, however the workpiece is now inverted and im getting narrow letter (test) also when doing to i get rounded corners, not sharp ones
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13777&stc=1

D-man
30-10-2014, 02:18 PM
ok so ive managed to get the T the right way up to where i want it.

will i have to do the steps per again due to swapping the axis, and also with the T being very narrow

firetrappe
30-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Looks like your motor tuning calibration needs swapping over too. I'm guessing you've got different pitch screws on your x and y?

That should sort out the narrow letter problem.

Edit : Check your cursor keys for jogging from the keyboard too (hotkeys). You'll probably need to change those too.

Si.

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 02:21 PM
The Vectors are the workpiece!!

I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)

D-man
30-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Awesome, im running rack and pinion on both axis. however one is on a gearbox and other two on cncrouterparts drive pulleys

Ger21
30-10-2014, 03:47 PM
You shouldn't need to change your jogging hotkeys, unless you've already changed them to a non standard configuration.
You will need to change your steps/unit, and accel and velocity settings if they are different for X and Y.

D-man
30-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys i now have it the way i wanted it :)

phill05
30-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)
Eddy,
Why would you want to rotate the material? I am working every day like this, I set the Job "stock" dimensions greater than the model sizes and square, set the origin to centre, create the part I can then rotate to any angle with ctrl 9 and ctrl 0 then F9 to centre create the toolpaths and cut no problems whatsoever.
If I want a pair then copy and paste move 1 each side of centre.
If I was on txt same as above you can rotate, move, scale reverse, and only toolpath and cut what you want.

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13779&stc=1http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13780&stc=1http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13781&stc=1http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13782&stc=1
look at the time taken to rotate and screenshot only seconds.

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Eddy,
Why would you want to rotate the material?

I don't, I only have a demo of V Carve Pro, I was just pointing out that using the shortcut keys described by Earle, only the vectors rotate. You said the "the Vectors are the workpiece" which to my mind was not 100% correct because surely the material is part of the workpiece. Beyond that I care not a jot, I use F-engrave because it's free and does the job.

phill05
30-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't, I only have a demo of V Carve Pro, I was just pointing out that using the shortcut keys described by Earle, only the vectors rotate. You said the "the Vectors are the workpiece" which to my mind was not 100% correct because surely the material is part of the workpiece. Beyond that I care not a jot, I use F-engrave because it's free and does the job.

The vectors are the workpiece that is the part you will cut and use, think of the "material" as your piece of paper you are drawing on, you only need to set the thickness of the material for the size of the part required.

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 09:46 PM
The vectors are the workpiece that is the part you will cut and use, think of the "material" as your piece of paper you are drawing on, you only need to set the thickness of the material for the size of the part required.

I can see why it's easy to think like that but No, the material is the stuff you are cutting, so it's the workpiece.

Ger21
30-10-2014, 09:50 PM
What if you're v-carving a rectangular workpiece? Rotating the vectors only will give you a very different finished workpiece.

phill05
30-10-2014, 10:07 PM
What if you're v-carving a rectangular workpiece? Rotating the vectors only will give you a very different finished workpiece.

Say you have a sheet of ply 8' x 4' and is the max of your machine bed 8' is in X axis but you want to V carve text to go across 4' Y axis you draw it in X axis and rotate and place in Y axis.

You cannot rotate the "Material" as Eddy seems to think you can.

EddyCurrent
30-10-2014, 10:14 PM
You cannot rotate the "Material" as Eddy seems to think you can.

Okay, this is my last post on this. I do not seem to think you can rotate the material. All I'm saying is two things;

1. Only the vectors rotate when you apply transforms, the material does not.
2. As I see it the material is part of the workpiece

And lastly I don't have any problem with this, it's just the way it is.

phill05
30-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Okay, this is my last post on this. I do not seem to think you can rotate the material. All I'm saying is two things;

1. Only the vectors rotate when you apply transforms, the material does not. "Correct"
2. As I see it the material is part of the workpiece

read what D-man asked for in post 1 "Hey guys, I'm having a bit or a mate at the moment with the workpiece in vcarve pro outputting to the machine.

any ideas

EddyCurrent
31-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Okay, this is my last post on this.

I lied :smug:

phill05, if I was cutting shapes from sheet material or stock that was well oversize for the job, it would not matter that only the vectors rotate.
But if you cut like I do where the material profile is cut to size first on a saw, then clearly if only the vectors rotate they would no longer fit the stock material.
I use CamBam mostly and it's the same with that, if I apply transforms the stock material is unaffected, so what I have to do is resize the stock to orient it in the other direction, i.e. swap over the X and Y values.
Now all that is fine and I don't have a problem with that but what I am saying different to you is this, the material or stock in some instances, as above, is clearly the workpiece.

phill05
31-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I lied :smug:

I guessed you would (smile)

Now all that is fine and I don't have a problem with that but what I am saying different to you is this, the material or stock in some instances, as above, is clearly the workpiece.

Eddy the question asked was how do I create my workpiece Vertically in VCP to which I replied, change workpiece orintation.

Eddy It was your contribution that first saw light of Material: "I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)"

Eddy I am working on different designs every day of many differnt sizes and the Vectors are my workpiece, I don't get to see a machine bed or get my hands dirty, I design and feed G code to 2 machines, I tell the guys 30 plus miles away from me in which axis to load the stone, power on and leave me to it.

So could we both agree / disagree the we could both be right.

Last question to D-man great you got sorted mate lets see some of your work now, and who looks the fussy twat now.

Phill

EddyCurrent
31-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Eddy the question asked was how do I create my workpiece Vertically in VCP to which I replied, change workpiece orintation.

Eddy It was your contribution that first saw light of Material: "[COLOR=#333333]I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)"

No

post #17, Earl said your hotkeys in post #15 only rotated the vectors not the workpiece
post #20, you said, "The Vectors are the workpiece!!"
post #24, I was responding to your post#20 by confirming what Earl said in post #17.

Then I started to think about what constituted the 'Workpiece', it was different to your thoughts, and it went on from there

Eddy I am working on different designs every day of many differnt sizes and the Vectors are my workpiece, I don't get to see a machine bed or get my hands dirty, I design and feed G code to 2 machines, I tell the guys 30 plus miles away from me in which axis to load the stone, power on and leave me to it.

And that explains how you visualise the workpiece.

So could we both agree / disagree the we could both be right.

In the greater scheme of things it does not matter who thinks what, but I generally like to find a difinitive answer such as the definition of 'workpiece'

Maybe this ? http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/workpiece