PDA

View Full Version : wood supplier.

D-man
02-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Hey guys where is the favoured place to order all different types of wood?

EddyCurrent
03-11-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm talking about just hardwoods here.
I imagine that unless you order it by the waggon load, most will use wherever is nearest, and for some that might be a mile away or over 100.
For me, John Boddy Timber is the closest for anything approaching exotic, but it's a round trip of 230 miles. Locally I can get some hardwood such as
oak, ash, sycamore, beech, yew, cedar, but to be honest there's only a couple that are useful to me.
That only leaves mail order, so it's just an internet trawl for the cheapest place that has what I'm looking for, the down side is I then rely on them to send me good stuff.

D-man
03-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah, we have some crappy wana be timber yards here unfortunatly

gavztheouch
03-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I use http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/

Good for sheet goods as well as hardwoods, the Glasgow branch is massive and full of great stuff. They also have some interesting high densitiy MDF's including some coloured stuff.

EddyCurrent
03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I just remembered about Hexamshire Hardwoods at Hexam, it's a while since I was last there though. It's right on my doorstep, just 140 mile round trip :distress:

D-man
04-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Ah Hexam isnt too far away, just got to battle the metrocentre traffic, guess thats why employee people to sit in it for me when we are quiet haha

Clive S
04-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Ah Hexam isnt too far away, just got to battle the metrocentre traffic, guess thats why employee people to sit in it for me when we are quiet haha Have you tried (as have already been suggested) - James Latham Gateshead
: Tyne & Wear - 0191 469 4211 which is I think is quite near you. ..Clive

GEOFFREY
04-11-2014, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=EddyCurrent;63426]I'm talking about just hardwoods here.

Locally I can get some hardwood such as
oak, ash, sycamore, beech, yew, ]

Don't mean to be pedantic Eddy, but I think that yew and cedar are softwoods!!! G.

EddyCurrent
04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=EddyCurrent;63426]I'm talking about just hardwoods here.

Locally I can get some hardwood such as
oak, ash, sycamore, beech, yew, ]

Don't mean to be pedantic Eddy, but I think that yew and cedar are softwoods!!! G.

You do mean to be pedantic :thumsup: and you are correct, yew is a hard softwood and cedar is just softwood. My excuse is I just copied and pasted the wood list from sellers website.

Jonathan
04-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Fitchett and Woollacott (here (http://www.fitchetts.co.uk/)) are good. They're within walking distance of me but nowhere year you...

D-man
04-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Have you tried (as have already been suggested) - James Latham Gateshead
: Tyne & Wear - 0191 469 4211 which is I think is quite near you. ..Clive

I will give them a look (i missed that post thanks.

Cheers for the replys guys

Ccrewz
10-04-2015, 08:48 PM
I am looking for some "furniture" grade plywood that I will use to make some wooden clock gears and a book case for my granddaughter's bedroom.
Does anyone know where I can order some?
Thanks in advance :joyous: