PDA

View Full Version : aliexpress

gavztheouch
18-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Hi, I am thinking about placing an order for some laser cutting parts on aliexpress the order comes to a total of roughly £600. Is the aliexpress guarantee that you will get your parts actually worth anything. Do they vet they're sellers? I am buying from someone with very little feedback, is this wise?

Cheers

gavztheouch
18-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I forgot to add a link to the seller. I am buying a kit to build a laser cutter. The laser working area will be 600mm by 900mm and the cost of the kit is £600ish including delivery to the UK

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Linear-Shaft-Support-Rail-belt-drive-high-rigidity-smooth-motion-Aluminum-Alloy-Motion-Ball-Slide-Unit/1542960565.html

Jonathan
18-11-2014, 03:30 PM
The lack of any feedback is concerning. Their system works such that the seller only gets your money once you have clicked the button to say you have received the goods and they are satisfactory. If not then you can try to resolve it with the seller. I've placed 22 orders with Aliexpress in the past year and can only find fault with part of one of them. The first item I purchased from aliexpress was two 2200mm long, 20mm TBI linear rails with four bearings for $415 including shipping - I used aliexpress because it was over two years ago, so before they started appearing on eBay and (still) a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

I think it's a pretty safe system, but it's up to you in the end.

Also, don't forget about the customs charges - they will be quite a lot on something of that value.

gavztheouch
18-11-2014, 04:02 PM
The lack of any feedback is concerning. Their system works such that the seller only gets your money once you have clicked the button to say you have received the goods and they are satisfactory. If not then you can try to resolve it with the seller. I've placed 22 orders with Aliexpress in the past year and can only find fault with part of one of them. The first item I purchased from aliexpress was two 2200mm long, 20mm TBI linear rails with four bearings for $415 including shipping - I used aliexpress because it was over two years ago, so before they started appearing on eBay and (still) a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

I think it's a pretty safe system, but it's up to you in the end.

Also, don't forget about the customs charges - they will be quite a lot on something of that value.

Thanks Jonathan,

So does the escrow type system always apply, even when paying with a credit card? I watch a youtube video, where this guy was talking about how to not get ripped of on aliexpress and he said alway try and choose a seller who uses the escrow system but it now looks like that is not an option and was wondering if that is just the standard way of doing it now.

I was counting on customs charges about £15 plus 20-25% :(

Jonathan
18-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I've never seen it not apply - it should be clear upon checkout?

Your estimate for the customs charges seems reasonable, if a little pessimistic.

gavztheouch
18-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Yep it seems hit or miss as to whether you get hit with customs or not, but the parts seem cheap enough not to worry too much. I couldn't build a flying optics system like this for the same money in parts never mind the time it would take me so I would be happy to pay the extra. Assuming it works ok.

Looks well enough made but I wouldn't like to use it for anything other than a laser or 3d printer.

gavztheouch
21-11-2014, 10:37 AM
I placed the order this morning, fingers crossed, it arrives in time for christmas :snowman:

EddyCurrent
21-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Not wishing to put the dampers on it but let's hope you bought what you thought.

This was the title, "Linear Shaft Support Rail belt drive high rigidity smooth motion actuator laser machine electric valve guideway flange bearing"

So put some maths type brackets round it; (Linear Shaft Support Rail belt drive high rigidity smooth motion actuator laser machine electric valve guideway) flange bearing.

and wondering if it's the same as saying; (Home cinema 2000 watt amplifier full hd tv ) mounting bracket

gavztheouch
21-11-2014, 11:24 AM
It was a custom order, so I just bought 7 units of the listed item and I have a quote from the seller outwith aliexpress showing the kit that I have actually purchased which is the complete flying optics set in a 900 by 600mm format.

Your making me paranoid now Eddy.

Jonathan
21-11-2014, 05:38 PM
They just put as many relevant words in the title as they can fit, to get more hits when searched for ...

EddyCurrent
21-11-2014, 08:35 PM
They just put as many relevant words in the title as they can fit, to get more hits when searched for ...

hopefully :angel:

grain_r
21-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Hey Guys

Well I have had both experiences on AliExpress. A while ago I bought some tablet PC's to sell about 10 of them before the hype all kicked off with these things and the seller hadn't much feedback on this product but had on others so went for it. I was given a tracking number but it didn't seem to work and after many weeks of trying to contact the seller got more worried each day and then others reviewing started to put things like bad fake seller not had my items. So I contacted the Ali Express system and they gave the seller a certain time to respond when they past there dead line they then agreed to give me my money back. So the Escrow system does work However. because of the difference in time what they don't tell you is you get your money back on the days exchange rate not when you brought it. I lost about £40.00 in the whole experience but from what it could have been I considered myself lucky.

On the flip side of this I purchased my rails and screws for my CNC from Aliexpress and it couldn't have gone smoother the kit was even on special offer so brilliant.

I would certainly feel confident in buying from Aliexpress again. but always check the feedback is really good.

hopefully it make you feel better about buying.

thanks

Rob

gavztheouch
23-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the review grain_r, good to know the money back guarantees are worth something.

gavztheouch
12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
This arrived today, got hit with customs charges so in total the package cost around £750. The quality is great cant wait to see if it works as well as it looks.

Overall very impressed with Aliexpress and the product.

IanS1
12-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Great news, always a relief when importing stuff turns out well. Obviously, we need to see some pictures. :pride:

Popp Ann
13-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I have been using AliExpress for quite some time now and never had any problem with any order unlike ebay which i have had plenty of problems with different items i have ordered.
on AliExpress as someone else stated the seller does not receive the money until you give feedback stating you have received the item and are happy with it also i have been told if a seller has more than a couple of problems then AliExpress closes their account and will not let them sell on it again until they have sorted out there problem with the buyer.

also under UK law you get a guarantee from your credit card as you are buying the items from the credit card company and not from the seller so that is another layer of protection for you.

regards Poppy Ann.

Tomnewry
31-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi Gavz did you get the complete kit for that price or just the rails?

gavztheouch
31-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi Tomnewry,

£750 included delivery, the rails, mirror mounts, laser lens holder, laser tube mounts and both 3:1 reducers plus the 10 mm shafts to join the Y axis rails together.

You can then add anything between 1500 to 2500 to the total to complete. This would be for stuff like the mirrors, lens, DSP, laser, stepper/servo, frame, z axis table.