PDA

View Full Version : EM/AM digital driver selection

Neale
15-12-2014, 04:41 PM
As usual, I'm confused. I have just had an email from Zapp giving a discount to previous customers, so I'm looking to get the drivers and motion controller for my new machine. I think I'm going for the CSMIO-IP/M, despite its lack of slave axis homing, as I can work around this and everything else about it ticks the boxes. The PLCM-E3 looks good (and does dual-axis homing, I believe) but add in a breakout board and it's getting on for the same price, 5V not 24V, etc.

However, I need to update my old analogue drivers that I am currently using to get the advantages of digital control, resonance reduction, stall detect, and so on, especially as I'm going dual-motors. Zapp have the AM882 and EM806 available. Reading through the specs, I can't see much difference between them (and they are the same price). I really don't want to get the one that is going to be obsolete a month after I buy it (again...)

Which is best, and why?

Gary
15-12-2014, 04:45 PM
The AM is discontinued by us and we have one left in stock.
The EM range replaces the AM range and has basically the same features but is a better driver.

Neale
15-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Ah, possibly answered my own question...

Did a bit more digging around and found a thread (http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6638-Leadshine-website-and-AM882) on this forum that seems to suggest that the EM806 is the replacement for the AM882. Is that correct? In which case, the EM is the one to go for.

(Edit - and thanks to Gary who answered faster than I can think!)

Gary
15-12-2014, 04:54 PM
yes this is correct.