PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone please got an idea where I could get a bolt like this?

suesi34e
10-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I have looked at great length for a square headed bolt like this.

I comes out of a Kity 635 planner thicknesser which I am due to sell due to lack of space. I only want £175 for it I could stick it on a pallet if it helps

I am not expecting anyone to know where I can get one but thought it worth a try as I don't want to replace all the bolts.

Bolt size 9.9mm square head
M6 thread
15mm overall length

I have tried Sheppach.com and NMA agencies but no joy.

Many thanks if anyone knows where to try.

All the best http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14363&stc=1

Suesi

EddyCurrent
10-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Could you cut and file a square piece of steel the same size as the head then drill and tap an M6 hole in it and screw & glue a piece of studding in ? A flash over with matt black paint would finish it off.

suesi34e
10-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Hi EddyCurrent,

Thank you for your reply that was quick to come up with that. I guess I could go with your idea if I cant get a bolt. I was thinking of replacing the bolts to all hex head but it seems a bit wasteful. I guess they want to high tensile due to the stress on them.

Hope your project is coming on it sure looks great.

Many thanks

Suesi

EddyCurrent
10-01-2015, 10:57 PM
It was just a guess because I didn't know what they did on the machine.
Re. my project, it's finished, the thread shows all there is to know, I just need to make something with it now. Next I need to do mortice & tenon, fancy dovetail types but not the regular dovetail shape.

suesi34e
10-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Silly me mate not mentioning what the bolt does! I holds a cutter wedge.
Yes, I think the cut out in the table is great, I can see it being very useful. I look forward to hearing what you make.
All the best
Suesi

EddyCurrent
10-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I knew you were going to say it holds the cutter wedge, it's similar to mine and the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. In that case I would try to get something better than my first idea.

suesi34e
10-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Yes, sorry my fault for missing the most important detail!

i2i
10-01-2015, 11:57 PM
make one, you have the machines:wink:

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 12:12 AM
I don't know about that!
Yes, I have a mill but not the software and to say I am finding my feet with it is an understatement. It is that old thing of we all start somewhere. I set eyes on an old whitworth bolt the other day that made me think knowing it was good material.
Cheers Suesi

T0rnado69
11-01-2015, 01:58 AM
bit of sq stock in a 4jaw on a lathe. turn it down then thread it ?

Clive S
11-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Silly me mate not mentioning what the bolt does! I holds a cutter wedge. It would need to be the same weight to balance the others if it is on the cutter block. :concern: ..Clive

mekanik
11-01-2015, 11:53 AM
If it's retaining your planer blade you are going to need it making from a decent piece of steel, if Kity don't do spares i would do as per Tornado69 post but not quite sure regarding the tensile strength of MS square stock, to be on the safe side i would get an oversize Unbrako bolt and machine from that, the Unbrako fasteners i have used in the past are very tough.
Hope that helps
Mike

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Hi Clive,

Thank you for your msg. Yes it would have to be pretty close for weight I know the importance of balance many years ago I ground by hand cutters for the old whitehill blocks. Not one of my favourite jobs!

Many thanks Suesi

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi T0rnado69,

Thank for your msg not sure why but it never came into my email inbox. I nearly missed it had it no been referred to. Using a good bit of material that is a very good idea. If I cant find the bolt I think I will look into going that way.

Many thanks

Suesi

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi mekanik

Thank you for your msg. I had never heard of Unbrako fasteners but just looked on the site they are obviously good stuff. I think I will contact them to see what they do square head wise before getting one made. I see they used to do some!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270919445056?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Many thanks Suesi

JAZZCNC
11-01-2015, 01:14 PM
I ground by hand cutters for the old whitehill blocks. Not one of my favourite jobs!

I've still got scar from one those lethal bastards.! . . Cutter let go skimmed my belly and embedded it's self in wall. My mate wasn't so lucky when is let go embedded it's self in his thigh.!! . . Messy job.:sour:

Think your only option if Kity won't reply is to make one then heat treat it. Will need good grade of steel or bolt if you modifie something.!

EddyCurrent
11-01-2015, 03:21 PM
This seems to be the mostly likely place to get Kity spares, but people say drive belts are about the only thing available.
http://www.kitystc.eu/index.php

mekanik
11-01-2015, 04:16 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-x-1-25mm-Fine-Pitch-Black-Allen-Bolt-Socket-Cap-Screws-High-Tensile-12-9-/231388117504?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item35dfce7a00
That might turn down not sure off hand of the dia of the head if someone has any M10 socket heads and could post the dia that would be helpfull you can then compare it with the cross corner dimension on your item if it's larger it's a winner.
Mike

m_c
11-01-2015, 04:17 PM
I've still got scare from one those lethal bastards.! . . Cutter let go skimmed my belly and embedded it's self in wall. My mate wasn't so lucky when is let go embedded it's self in his thigh.!! . . Messy job.:sour:

It's illegal to use Whitehill blocks now. If H&S catch you using them, you'll have an awful lot of explaining to do.
Any blades now have to have a pin/bolt that passes through the blade so it can't just fly out as soon as it slackens off, or be of a design where it can't come out just by being loose.

JAZZCNC
11-01-2015, 05:20 PM
It's illegal to use Whitehill blocks now. If H&S catch you using them, you'll have an awful lot of explaining to do.
Any blades now have to have a pin/bolt that passes through the blade so it can't just fly out as soon as it slackens off, or be of a design where it can't come out just by being loose.

Aww ye I know all about the Work place Gestapo and they are long gone anyway I didn't need telling. All replaced with lovely safe chip limited tooling no more dodge city. . Lol

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi Jazz

There not nice know especially the smaller ones. Happy days for euro and serrated blocks. I used not be a big fan breaking through a false fence - needless to say I was pretty quick to get the powerfeed in situ and clamp a section of timber in front of it!

I have found a hex head bolt for the purpose in question. If the outfeed table was adjustable I would think about getting a Tersa or similar block! Yes a lot of money to spend but it is a real handy little machine. I guess I could do that anyway if it comes to it!

Many thanks

Suesi

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Hi Eddy, tar very much for that mate I will fire them off an email and see what happens!

Many thanks

Suesi

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Hi mekanik,

Thank you for your msg and link I appreciate it. I must have a m10 socket head I will have measure and see what happens. If the worst comes to the worst I can get a bolt made up I guess.

Many thanks

Suesi

suesi34e
11-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks m_c I don't use a spindle anymore but I went over to euro and serrated blocks long ago and I can't say I miss hand grinding cutters! They did get me out of a fix a few times for just a quick simple run. Thanks very much suesi

mekanik
11-01-2015, 09:00 PM
If you can't make it yourself make sure it is made from height tensile steel, also take a sample and tell them to reproduce the radius were the dia meets the square, if this is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser.
Regards
Mike

bmbaz
11-01-2015, 09:48 PM
if you know the material that the bolt is made of turn and thread one 14mm diameter then put the square on, the formula is 1.414 x across flats for the dia of a square, this should also be about the same weight if this cant be done I could knock you one up at work out of en8 or 19t

suesi34e
12-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Hi mekanik,

Thank you for you msg. I can't make one myself. However, I can tell what you are telling me is important although I am sorry I do not understand what you mean by "tell them to reproduce the radius were the dia meets the square" I could learn this I think it could be doing. You say if that is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser, so is there a time when a blunt tool is better?

Many thanks for the help

Suesi

suesi34e
12-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Dear bmbaz,

Many thanks for your help and offer to make me a bolt if I get stuck. I understand the 1.414 side of things. If I take you up on your offer please let me know what I owe you and I will pay you.

Many thanks

Suesi

Neale
13-01-2015, 12:12 AM
You say if that is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser, so is there a time when a blunt tool is better?

No, it means use a sharp tool, but with a rounded tip rather than a sharp angle at the tip. That would leave a radius in the corner rather than a square corner, which is good from a stress-reduction point of view. Any sharp change in dimension concentrates the stress at that point. It's very seldom better to use a blunt tool for anything!

mekanik
13-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Suesi
Dia is an abreviation for diameter ie 6mm the radius is formed where the diameter intersects the square section (like head of a bolt) when a bolt is torqued it actually increases slightly in length and loads the assembly,if there is a sharp junction a crack can propergate in that area especially if the item was subject to and impact. The radius helps to distribute the load, some of the guys on the forum have the software that can show stress analysis.
As for the cutting tool,NO there is no time when a blunt tool is preferable to a sharp one (to the best of my knowledge), in this case you would just produce a slight radius on the tip of the tool still maintaining the correct clearance angles. hope that makes some sort of sense.
Regards
Mike

suesi34e
13-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Hi Neale

Many thank for your msg. I see what your saying and understand now.

I appreciate the help

Suesi

suesi34e
13-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Thank you mekanik, what you and Neale have said makes a lot of sense and I see where your coming from. It is a long time since I have had cause to look in my Zeus book but I will have a look through it as I seem to remember something about what your mentioning been in it.
I am very grateful of your help.
Suesi