PDA

View Full Version : linux

universally
30-01-2015, 01:47 PM
hi all, ive unsuccessfully trying to install linuxcnc on my laptop, i have a working version of Ubuntu but cant find a successful install for the linuxcnc, can anyone help or share a link, i have found links that go back to older version of Ubuntu but nothing up to date, HELP!!!

Clive S
30-01-2015, 02:01 PM
hi all, ive unsuccessfully trying to install linuxcnc on my laptop, i have a working version of Ubuntu but cant find a successful install for the linuxcnc, can anyone help or share a link, i have found links that go back to older version of Ubuntu but nothing up to date, HELP!!!Have you tried here http://www.linuxcnc.org/ and used the live cd. Its not good using laptops for cnc as they use power saving etc. ..Clive

universally
30-01-2015, 03:14 PM
yeah ive managed to do it, lord knows how but its on, just wanted to have a look at it really, will use a desktop for cnc, cheers clive

Neale
30-01-2015, 07:43 PM
...and don't try to install Ubuntu and then LinuxCNC. LinuxCNC includes a custom-built Linux kernel that has been specially crafted to improve real-time operation. Download the kit from the LinuxCNC site, burn a DVD or write to a memory stick (the site gives instructions) and boot/install from that. That gives you all you need - it works pretty well. I went through the process a few weeks back when rebuilding a PC.

JohnHaine
30-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Can you load LinuxCNC so it dual boots with Windows? I'd like to try it for turning but keep Mach for milling.

Neale
31-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Yes - instructions on the LinuxCNC website. Install Windows first, then LinuxCNC. My garage PC is set up to do this and it seems to work fine.

JohnHaine
31-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Excellent! Thanks Neale.

universally
31-01-2015, 03:54 PM
good advice :) whats the ease of operation with linux compared with mach

Neale
31-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Purely personal view (no axe to grind over the whole Windows/Linux shouting match) - for the kind of work I do at present, not much difference at all. I admit to only playing with a demo copy of Mach3 so far, but I shall be migrating to that as my new machine will use a motion controller that doesn't work with LinuxCNC. I helped someone get Mach3 up and running on a new machine once, and even though I had to do a bit of web browsing to find out where various bits and pieces and parameter settings were in the interface, the underlying functions were the same as LinuxCNC. For vanilla out-of-the-box operation, they both do all the basics. I am only moving to Mach3 because of the motion controller support, although the availability of various add-on options (different screen layouts, additional interfaces for controlling probing, things like that) seems to be much better on the proprietary Mach3 system than the open-source LinuxCNC. The garage PC only runs the router, so apart from LinuxCNC/Mach3, all I do is copy files over the network from my main server system, or occasionally use a web browser or play radio recordings (but not while cutting). Not a lot to choose between the systems for that kind of thing, once you have them set up.

The differences, where they exist, might be a bit subtle for the new user looking to choose. For example, one relevant difference for me is that Mach3 supports proper dual-motor homing on a single axis, where LinuxCNC (surprisingly, considering how long people have been talking about it) does not. But even that functionality varies once you add in an external motion controller. People can and do argue for hours about which is the "nicest" user interface but frankly, you can get to grips with the basics with either, or look for add-ons (or even write your own) in either system if you are that way inclined.

Clive S
31-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Again not getting into Mach v Linux I use both mill Linux and router Mach.
One big difference is that Linux will pause almost instantly while Mach has to empty it buffer (that can mean the machine can run half the table length before it will stop). I think you can get motion controller card for Linux.
You are right saying Linux won't do the homing with twin axis. That was one reason I had to go with Mach3.
Mach has the more user friendly front end. But both are good. ..Clive