PDA

View Full Version : Z axis hesitating

Janste
01-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Hi all
i have a 3040 T machine. Had it for a few weeks now and slowly been learning my stuff
its running with mach3 and I have managed a few good results. However it has developed a fault where the z axis will lift and stall partially but mach 3 still shows it's going up
same problem going down sort of shunting as if it's getting stuck on the screw thread?
can anyone shed any light on how to fix
many thanks guys

cropwell
02-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Check wiring to Z axis first.

Janste
02-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Ok thank you
i have looked at the connections they seem ok but not delved too deep
I will delve a bit further

Clive S
02-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Hi all
i have a 3040 T machine. Had it for a few weeks now and slowly been learning my stuff
its running with mach3 and I have managed a few good results. However it has developed a fault where the z axis will lift and stall partially but mach 3 still shows it's going up
same problem going down sort of shunting as if it's getting stuck on the screw thread?
can anyone shed any light on how to fix
many thanks guysWithout the machine being powered and turning the motor by hand does it feel that it is binding if so that will need to be sorted. ..Clive

Janste
02-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Hi clive
it isn't biding when I turn the knob at the top of the motor it's notchy but just like the other motors
any other ideas I may try

cropwell
02-02-2015, 09:38 AM
If you can swap connections around, try changing with another axis to see if the problem is transferred. If it is , it's electrical. If not it is mechanical.

njhussey
02-02-2015, 10:50 AM
If Mach is showing it as moving but it's not is the Z axis coupling slipping?

Janste
02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
I will try swapping the connections around and see what happens
also will look to see if the z axis coupling slipping (not sure where to look for this tho?)

thank you all for the positive replies
I have heard the wiring to there are a little suspect
would I be able to purchase better wiring from say Maplin (what size gauge etc)
or is it a more specialized shop

thanks

njhussey
02-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I will try swapping the connections around and see what happens
also will look to see if the z axis coupling slipping (not sure where to look for this tho?)

It connects the Z axis stepper motor to the Z axis ballscrew/leadscrew....looks a bit like this probably...14579

Janste
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
thanks
will I find allen type head bolt in the holes that may need tightening

njhussey
02-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Depends on the type fitted to your machine, generally I believe they're socket head cap bolts so yes.

JAZZCNC
02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Sounds to me that your have the motor tuning wrong and motors are stalling.

Go to Motor tuning in Mach3 and click on each Axis at the side and give us the Velocity and Accel numbers. Better still take a screen shot and post the pics.
Remember to Click on each axis in the side bar.

Janste
02-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Swapped wiring over with y axis but problem remained
the bottom retaining bolt holding the motor to the threaded rod was a tad loose
i undone it and removed the motor and spacer. The bolts holding the sliding rails were also a tad loose. I tightened them up and tried it and it was much better
i re fastened all the bolts and am now doing a test cut
all seems good at the moment
thanks to you all
im making a key ring out of acrylic I've alllready made a coaster I will try and load up images later
thanks guys