PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New Member - Cardiff

SWMS
03-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Hello, my name is Ryan, I have owned a home build 60Watt Laser cutter for about a year. I was going to attempt a build myself but upon speaking to a guy in Scotland that had built his own, I bought his hah hah.

My family are artistic, Prop maker, wood turner, seamstress and I am a bit of a Jack of all Trades. I am always willing to learn something and give something a go.

The Laser cutter has a 1220mm x 660mm bed and I looking at various upgrade options as I have a few niggles with a home brew cutter. I am also a DT teacher ( soon to be ex DT Teacher). I would be interested in talking to anyone and particularly those local to me for a skill swap/share/learn, friendship etc. :)

i2i
04-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Hi Ryan, i'm also based in Cardiff. Would your laser cut carbon fiber sheet approx 3mm thick ?

SWMS
04-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Hi Ryan, i'm also based in Cardiff. Would your laser cut carbon fiber sheet approx 3mm thick ?

Unlikely I am afraid, You'd need a very high powered laser and a way of extracting the nasty gasses given off by the epoxy.

If you have anything else you want cutting just do a search for laser cut and the material, that will tell you if it can be done.

:)

i2i
04-02-2015, 07:43 PM
that's a shame.

If you need any help i have a fairly well equipped cnc workshop.

jcb121
04-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Hey, also from Cardiff here with a self built cnc router. What school did you teach in? if you don't mind me asking.
I'm after one of those small world moments really.

A laser cutter is cool.

J.