PDA

View Full Version : T5 Pulleys and belts - Advice sought

cropwell
07-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I have 3 sets of T5 10mm wide pulleys and steel reinforced PU belts left over from a build that never happened. I would like to use them in my new build, which will have 4.5Nm steppers. I haven't calculated the gantry weight yet, but the build will be in steel box section and the Y axis is about 600mm (quite a bijou machine). My question is are the belts just going to shred? Looking at the price of 25mm wide pulleys and belts, I would rather not have that expense.

What does the team think ?

Cheers - Rob

Boyan Silyavski
08-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Shred? No. I greatly doubt that. They will not even stretch. However this is assuming you use square supported rails, align them precisely using precision square and straight edge and don't intend to use the machine for deep routing or aluminum every day.

I have belt driven small machine with AT5 steel belts 10mm and to tell you the truth the belts are its smallest problem :cool: . I have 0.8kw spindle and i go 6mm deep with 6mm tool in wood and whatever material. Aluminum i don't do, but this due to the V bearings, not the belts.

If you are not very aggressive with speeds and feeds + use sharp cutters i don't see a problem even with bigger spindle.

But now lets step back. Why 4.5 Nm steppers? Most used steppers here on forum are low inductance SY60STH86-3008B Nema 23 Stepper motor (http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-products/stepper-motors/nema-23-stepper-motors/sy60sth86-3008b-nema-23-stepper-motor.html).

At the end it greatly depends on what you want to invest in the whole machine. If you make a cheap build aimed for wood, go for it. If you will make a heavy gantry and spend money on all else. Then why cripple the machine with 10mm belts.

It would be wise though to make all so, that later could fit 25mm belts if needed.

cropwell
08-02-2015, 11:36 AM
But now lets step back. Why 4.5 Nm steppers? Most used steppers here on forum are low inductance SY60STH86-3008B Nema 23 Stepper motor (http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-products/stepper-motors/nema-23-stepper-motors/sy60sth86-3008b-nema-23-stepper-motor.html).

It would be wise though to make all so, that later could fit 25mm belts if needed.

Thanks Sylv. The steppers I have in the cupboard are 4 of Nema 34 4.5 Nm and 4 of Astrosyn MY103H702. My spindles are Kress 800 or 2.2Kw water cooled. So guess my choices :smug::smug::smug:
I think I will investigate AliExpress as belting online want about £14 per belt and I need 4 and £6.25 per pulley rising to £15.72 according to machining required ( I need 8 of those) So that brings it up to £180. Quite a price Eh !

Regards, Rob