PDA

View Full Version : Harrison M250

Arthur Kingdon
29-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I class myself as a jack of all trades and definitely a master of none. I flit between woodworking and metalworking and dabble in ornamental turning. I am keen on older machines and enjoy their restoration. However, I would like to bring myself rather more up to date and learn about CNC machining. I have a Harrison M250 CNC Trainer but haven't a clue as to where to start, despite the fact that I have a programming manual for it. Is their anyone out there who may have some experience of these lathes who can offer some guidance? I live in North Wiltshire and my workshop is always open for visitors.

Tom
29-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Hello Arthur

Welcome to the forum (I'm new here too).

I'm no-where near Wiltshire unfortunately (and in any case only know the theory of CNC (so far!) so wouldn't be much help). There'll be some more knowledgeable people along shortly.

Have you found the "on" switch yet? How about trying some g01 moves a safe distance from the chuck, or using M codes to start and stop the spindle?

Tom

Arthur Kingdon
29-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello Tom,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and thanks for the encouragement. I can get the display to illuminate but that's about it. I did try inputting a few codes but nothing happened so I guess I did something wrong - I'll give it another go (at a safe distance as you suggest).

Tom
29-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmm, sounds tricky...
There are definitely people here who can help diagnose any problems though...

Would it be possible to get some pictures of your machine uploaded? (a "virtual tour" :-) How about a picture of the screen you're seeing - that'll definitely get everyone's creative juices flowing.... :biggrin:

Arthur Kingdon
29-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Hmm, sounds tricky...
There are definitely people here who can help diagnose any problems though...

Would it be possible to get some pictures of your machine uploaded? (a "virtual tour" :-) How about a picture of the screen you're seeing - that'll definitely get everyone's creative juices flowing.... :biggrin:

Hi Tom,

Good idea - just taken some snaps. Not sure how to add them but I'll give it a try...

Arthur Kingdon
29-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Arthur :wave: < smiley has lost his bike.... Never seen that particular lathe so can't offer any help....does it accept G-code? The only Lathes I use regularly are my cheapo Chinese manual a Colchester Mascot and a Triumph.....the CNC is a Leadwell with a scary spindle....My code gets checked before being run through that as I'm a noobcake CNC lathe operator :D

Give us some pages from the manual......Most users of home cnc gear are using Mach or if they have 10 years free EMC2 (I'm gonna get slapped for that emc comment lol )

Hi Kip,

Yes it does accept G codes, M codes also.

The Harrison brochure lists: ISO codes, decimal point programming, radius programming, 250 blocks of memory (8K!), programming absolute and incremental, cassette programming or RS 232 interface etc.

The machine dates from 1985 so probably predates Mach?

The brochure also stressed the 'ease of use and simplicity with respect to programming'! Mmmm

I'll have to look into scanning a few pages and how to post them.

Thanks,

Arthur

Ross77
29-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Arthur
looks like a nice set up, Just about to learn how to use a manual lathe so no advice im afraid.

I watch with interest as I feel like building one but always imagine the tool hitting the chuck :scaredycat:

Do CNC lathes not have limit swithes then? I planned to cnc my lathe at some point but not sure now :eek:

irving2008
29-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Arthur,

I take it you have read the info here (http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison-m/) on Tony Griffiths site? Looks quite a nice beast...

Arthur Kingdon
29-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi,

Yes thanks, I've seen the info on the Tony Griffiths site but it only covers the manual version of the M250. Mine is the manual/CNC Trainer that was used to supply colleges etc. I've been using it for a while in manual mode and the stepper motor on the cross slide does not interfere with such use. It's a good piece of kit and I'd really like to explore it more fully.

Arthur

irving2008
29-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I had a quick google for any examples of use but nothing found, although lots of places to buy the manuals... but you have the programming guide already.

So get 'em scanned and I'm sure between Kip, myself and few others we can help you work it out!

Arthur Kingdon
30-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I had a quick google for any examples of use but nothing found, although lots of places to buy the manuals... but you have the programming guide already.

So get 'em scanned and I'm sure between Kip, myself and few others we can help you work it out!

Hi,

The scanning is no problem but what is the best way to let you view the pages?

Thanks,

Arthur

irving2008
30-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi,

The scanning is no problem but what is the best way to let you view the pages?

Thanks,

ArthurIdeally scan to PDF, but if not just scan to tif files and post them here.

Arthur Kingdon
31-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Ideally scan to PDF, but if not just scan to tif files and post them here.

Right then, scans done as 96dpi bitmaps and saved as tiffs - size around 100kb, not good for printing but should be OK for viewing on screen. I hope they don't take too long to download.

I have scanned a few pages which I think might be relevant plus the contents page to show what is in the manual.

The uploads just failed - 'invalid files' - perhaps tiffs are not acceptable?

Arthur Kingdon
31-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Right then, scans done as 96dpi bitmaps and saved as tiffs - size around 100kb, not good for printing but should be OK for viewing on screen. I hope they don't take too long to download.

I have scanned a few pages which I think might be relevant plus the contents page to show what is in the manual.

The uploads just failed - 'invalid files' - perhaps tiffs are not acceptable?

Just tried again after saving files as bitmaps (Windows format) and it seems to have worked. Not sure if mac users will be able to view.

John S
31-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Arthur, not stuck my nose in before as I can't help out because many of these commercial controllers are special to the manufacturer and / or machine.
Silly things like hold the prgm key in until it boots then release.

Because it's a commercial control you could ask on the CNC machining page on Practical Machinist, there are some knowledgeable people there and few UK posters who may have had M250 experience.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/cnc-machining-21.html

Arthur Kingdon
31-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Arthur, not stuck my nose in before as I can't help out because many of these commercial controllers are special to the manufacturer and / or machine.
Silly things like hold the prgm key in until it boots then release.

Because it's a commercial control you could ask on the CNC machining page on Practical Machinist, there are some knowledgeable people there and few UK posters who may have had M250 experience.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/cnc-machining-21.html

Hi John,

Thanks for the input - the Harrison flyer states 'The CNC control has been specifically designed for this lathe and its training applications' so you are correct in suggesting it may be special. I'll post a question on the Practical Machinist site - I can't be the only person using one of these, surely?

john andrews
15-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Arthur, I am a new member but I would like some advice on my Harrison lathe so here goes perhaps you can help me: I have recently bought this machine but unfortunately its 3 phase and I would like to convert it back to single phase, can anyone advise where I can get the electric motor and also single phase pump. also although I have the manual on it can anyone recommend a good book which would give you more ideas on what its capabilities are.
Thank you - John Andrews.

Ross77
15-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Arthur, I am a new member but I would like some advice on my Harrison lathe so here goes perhaps you can help me: I have recently bought this machine but unfortunately its 3 phase and I would like to convert it back to single phase, can anyone advise where I can get the electric motor and also single phase pump. also although I have the manual on it can anyone recommend a good book which would give you more ideas on what its capabilities are.
Thank you - John Andrews.

Hi John
Dont now if the following will be of any help but here goes...

Is your lathe cnc and therfore the spindle speed is controlled by the main controler? If not then most people seem the favour the 3 phase motor anyway and just get a VFD. (varible freqency drive)

I got one off the bay for £50 ish. That way you can have varible speed but still have full power. Irving and John S helped me a lot on this. may be ask them, or wait and see if they chip in...:whistling:

Might be worth starting a new thread as more people will see it then.

irving2008
16-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi John

Is your lathe cnc and therfore the spindle speed is controlled by the main controler? If not then most people seem the favour the 3 phase motor anyway and just get a VFD. (varible freqency drive)

I got one off the bay for £50 ish. That way you can have varible speed but still have full power. Irving and John S helped me a lot on this. may be ask them, or wait and see if they chip in...:whistling:

Might be worth starting a new thread as more people will see it then.M250 has 1.8HP, 1.3Kw motor AFAIK -but check as this is not definitive.

The one I bought was £35 - the guy I got it from had a few more but I checked with him and no more left :sad:. A full price one is £170 - 200 but they do come up regularly on eBay. A 1.5 or 2.2 kW single phase motor to replace the 3phase one is going to be about the same price so you may well be worth waiting for a while for an inverter to come up...

John S
16-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Need to check in the morning but I'm sure I have some 2 Hp 3 phase foot mount 4 pole motors brand new here.

irving2008
16-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Need to check in the morning but I'm sure I have some 2 Hp 3 phase foot mount 4 pole motors brand new here.Yes, but JohnA wanted to go to single phase from 3phase...

I on the other hand am looking for a cheap 1hp/0.75kw 3phase for my mill... :whistling:

John S
16-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Of course, he already has the 3 phase motor Duh, well it is getting late and the pop is taking effect.

Can't help with the 0.75Kw, just had to buy 8 new ones.

John S
16-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Sorry 6 new ones, God this 2009 Asda scrumpy must have been a good year.

john andrews
18-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi John

Might be worth starting a new thread as more people will see it then.

Thanks Ross77 I have almost decided to go this route anyway it seems a lot less mucking about. Thanks for your help.
John Andrews:whistling:

Nickster
14-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Guys, id be grateful if u could download the whole manual cuz i have that lathe but no manual, or do u know a place i can buy it from, thanks