PDA

View Full Version : sieg kx3 cnc mill

DGH
29-05-2009, 06:22 PM
can anyone tell me what they think of the sieg kx3 milling machine .:feedback:

John S
29-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Having been closely tied up with the development of these machines I'm probably one of the best persons to ask but my replies 'may' be seen as being biased.

Can you be more specific in what you want to know and I'll try to answer as truthfully as possible.

DGH
29-05-2009, 07:14 PM
What I'm looking for is a milling machine to buy that I can use to mill some aluminium parts for a 1/6th scale r/c tank ( drive sprockets ;sprockets ;idler wheels ;bump stops ; Turret turnings; basically all the milling machine parts) I'd like a machine that would be easily capable to handle all of these componants. the biggest part are the sprockets, which are about 5 inch diameter. You say Kip, this machine is not to your liking, what sort of machine would you suggest?

:feedback:

-Dave

John S
29-05-2009, 07:23 PM
You say Kip, this machine is not to your liking, what sort of machine would you suggest?

-Dave

Probably a Hurco VM2 with 40 tool changer, 25 horsepower spindle that runs off single phase plug and cost £199.99 but we can dream on can't we ?

Or Kip can build you one for less than that.

DGH
29-05-2009, 08:50 PM
can anyone tell me if this machine is up to machining these parts:feedback:

John S
29-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Not miffed at all my son, I don't sell them so no vested interest there.
Looked at the picture you posted but can't see any motors, the OP asked for CNC and in this post the Sieg KX3.

So to post back to the OP there is no reason why a KX3 cannot do what you need.
Biggest limitation on the KX3 for what you require is the Y axis travel is 150mm.
The X3 converted to CNC is 190mm in the Y axis.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/locowheel2.jpg

This is a stainless steel loco wheel 85mm diameter, 10mm thick cut with a 4mm carbide cutter.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools1.jpg

Batch of 12mm square lathe tools in high tensile steel.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flywheel.jpg

Flywheel 80mm diameter in brass, drawn, coded and cut in 40 minutes to prove how easy the concept of CNC is.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/housing1.jpg

Two housings in aluminium approx 5" x 3" for a vintage Alvis car, all CNC machined including the thread milling but not the welded bridge which was done after.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/helical1.jpg

Helical gear done on the 4th axis with simple form tool.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/helical2.jpg

Herringbone gear done in one pass as one piece on the 4th axis.

John S
29-05-2009, 11:41 PM
??????

I don't have any machines to sell. I have about 9 CNC's here, none of which are for sale.
The OP asked a question, I'm trying to be helpful.

If you have something to sell him then please don't let me get in your way as I say I don't sell machines.

Lee Roberts
30-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Nice examples john, thank you for your support towards Dave.

I also recived your email and a note has been made, please continue as you have been and i will look into it.

John S
30-05-2009, 01:45 AM
No Dave is the original poster, to whom we are both replying, his sig is at the bottom of his posts.

John S
30-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Kip that picture isn't an X3 SX3 or KX3, it's a special machine made for JET in the US with a sliding Y axis.

I still don't have a vested interest in the KX mills, I worked on them but don't sell them, the quoted post from Helmsworthlad was for the X3 which has actually been discontinued since the appearance of the KX series.
That part of ARC's website hasn't been updated but I am thinking about resurecting the kits as I'm getting about 2 enquiries a month.

I didn't realise that you had to be completely neutral to post on this site, after all I have seen many pointers to people making and selling things.

I haven't hid behind anything, I made it clear I worked with both Seig and ARC, perhaps that has upset some ? I don't know.

The OP, posted asking for advise, all he got to start with was abuse.
If there as anyone else on this group who can truthfully answer with practical experiance of what the poster asked then by all means let him post.
So far I haven't seen any, I was loath to at first because of my links, I even said I could be accused of being biast and instaed of saying how good / bad what features etc I posted actual parts made on one.

Lee Roberts
30-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Guys,

I don’t have a problem with any of you promoting, supporting, endorsing or being affiliated with machines and/or companies. The point is to help others and give advice; you do not need to be neutral at all.

If people want to "plug" related products that’s fine to, as long as it’s done tastefully and what comes of the "plug" is a decent discussion.

I can’t see that Dave received any abuse; I can see that Kip gave his opinion and also his recommendation of an alternative machine. You then continued to support Dave with regards to the sieg machine John. Great job you are doing please continue, if you get some unintentional additional business from it that is Great and not a problem.

"I can’t manage peoples personalities, only there behaviour".

Peace.

Westmach
09-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Although this post isn't probably relevant anymore i've just purchased a Sieg KX3 and I am really happy with it for a small mill. I purchased it second hand off ebay but it was like new. All I will say there was about 0.07mm backlash in each of the screws consecutively and the chap who had it previously hadn't compensated for that in Mach 3 and he was complaining about the finish on his parts.22764 This was only part of the problem the machine is heavy for a small machine but if you see on the photo the guy had it on the shittiest stand imaginable which was a self build and was causing the majority of his machining issues as literally it would move everytime the machine made a cut. I am currently in the process of building a high quality enclosure and changing the standard R8 to a TTS/ Tormach Tooling System holder with Pneumatic drawbar. I will do a seperate post on that and please check out my Youtube vids.

David
19-09-2019, 02:56 PM
I have a SIEG KX3 with servo motors and their PC ethernet controller - not sure if the G-code is similar to the MACH controller ones
The biggest issue is I haven't been able to sort out a post for it
I don't have sample G-code to compare with

Can anyone assist please?

For CAM software I am using BOBCAD

Westmach
19-09-2019, 05:57 PM
You are going to have a few issues here depending on the settings of your machine. Personally I would just use Mach 3 as your machine software and use the machine settings file that comes with the machine. I would also use Vectric aspire and use their Mach3 metric arcs output code.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArtyMarty
07-10-2019, 03:32 AM
I've been trying to decide what CNC to get for the last 6 months. It's doing my head in as it's a big investment and I don't want to screw up.

I was originally going to get some sort of mill and convert it, however, I want to start making things now, not spend the next year building a cnc.

I saw one of these Sieg kx3 on the weekend and was impressed.
My only worry is the spindle speed seems a bit low. 5000rpm max. Looking at a speeds and feeds chart for carbide tools in aluminium.
3 - 6 mm dia = 10,000 rpm
8 - 12 mm 8,000 rpm
14- 16 mm 6,000 rpm
18 -20 mm 4,000 rpm

Would it be a problem?
Is there an upgrade motor?

Cheers, Marty

chas-SX3
08-10-2019, 08:19 AM
I've been trying to decide what CNC to get for the last 6 months. It's doing my head in as it's a big investment and I don't want to screw up.

Cheers, Marty

Depends if you want to make £money with it or just use it for hobby use with the BIG question of how much are you prepared to spend.

I have a much older Syil SX3 @3500rpm & with a little TLC she can kick out some very accurate parts with good surface finishes in ally. You just need to experiment with feeds & speeds until you hit your sweet spot and never take the various calculators speeds for granted. I use cutters from 1mm upto 16mm in mainly 6082 t6 & get great results from engraving right through to 3d carving.

Your biggest plus with going with a KX3 would be the user base is at your level and prepared to help with what might seem unsurmountable problems to you at first but usually turn out to be the small niggles that are just part of the learning curve. You don't get that with the pro machines . . . .