PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Looking for cable braid

Smiler
30-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi everybody, (hi Dr Nick) one for the Simpsons fans out there, you know who you are.....

Ok, looking for about 6 metres of cable braiding, the flexible net stuff you sheath cables in. I need some that can accomodate 4 x 9mm cables plus 2 6mm cables all in a bundle, that will mean braiding in the 25mm dia sort of size should do it. Anyone know where to find it to buy online?

The gremflex site is naff and you have to phone for prices, probably get told my order is too piddling.
:beer:
Regards, Jeff.

John S
30-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Hellermann polyester braided sleeving

10 to 30 mm dia £13.15 for 10m 302-9133
18 to 54 mm dia £15.79 for 10m 302-9194

No idea how that compares with anyone else
Perhaps others can post what they find.

Smiler
30-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Hellermann polyester braided sleeving

10 to 30 mm dia £13.15 for 10m 302-9133
18 to 54 mm dia £15.79 for 10m 302-9194

No idea how that compares with anyone else
Perhaps others can post what they find.

Thanks John,

Why do I never think of RS?????:redface:

Use them all the time at work, they are pricey but most times the cost of spending an afternoon looking for a widget online is more than offset by just being able to get it from RS in minutes

Regards, Jeff.

HS93
30-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I have used this chap for some time nice and quick no min order, he is very quick on delivery.

Peter

http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/heatshrink/cat_147046--013-Black-Expandable-Braided-Sleeving.html

John S
30-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Jeff,
I have found RS to have two price tiers some thing, often what you don't expect are cheap and other things you can't live with their prices

If you order by phone there is a delivery charge, order on line and it's free ?

That braiding may seem dear, I don't have anything to compare with except the last link which is in 1 metre lengths, so order 10 metres and the 30mm stuff is £24.90 a length plus postage.

Now try buying crimping tools from RS and I don't know what gets crimped first your cable or wallet :whistle:

I buy engineering tools from cromwell, J&L, WNT and some of the other on line suppliers, a few weeks ago I wanted a new 15mm reamer, J&L who are reasonable wanted £21 for a generic one and upwards for a branded, plus £4.50 carriage so for a laugh I looked at RS.
£17 for a Dormer, free delivery.

Just pointing out it pays to look, Farnell or CPC can often beat RS on electrical bit but their web sites suck.

HS93
30-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I didnt know Rs was free delivery if you order on line, I want some 4mm stainless and somebody sugested RS but I could not find out delivery charges and some one had said they can be dearer than the item, Ill liook again bearing that in mind..

If you email the chap from Heatshrink on line with an order and ask for a price he does knock a bit off for multipal items.

Peter

John S
30-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Peter I can't tell you RS's deliver charges because I always order on line but when the web site has been down I've had to order by phone but they have waived the delivery because of this.

I know they use DHL because if I order from J&L and RS the same guy delivers. J&L charge £4.50 per order

I do try to order a decent amount if possible because I feel guilty at times.
A few months ago just checking by toolbox ready for a job next day and realised I'd run out of 6.3 amp 20mm glass fuses.

Had to run round trying to get something else on the order because getting one box of 10 fuses delivered to the door seems a bit of a piss take :heehee:

Lee Roberts
30-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I use this guy Jeff: eBay (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/SMCS-UK-Commonwealth-Stamps_Braided-Sleeving_W0QQ_fsubZ15QQ_sidZ18834295QQ_trksidZp463 4Q2ec0Q2em322)

Always been a good service, he even droped some gear off to me the same night as we are both in Milton Keynes.

Think you have got a few choices now mate !

Lee Roberts
30-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Np, i'v got 300m that i imported from the USA, its only 3mm tho. I'v also put some extra bits in your box of stuff kip. I dont many toys i can share but i just grabed a few bits you may use at some point.