PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to buy this 3040 chinese CNC?

aideym
09-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Is this the one for me?

Concerned at how I would go about building something for occasional use in my bicycle creating workshop I took to checking out the Chinese CNC machines on Ebay. The reviews seem fairly positive and the youtube action seems to cover pretty much what I would use it for. Cutting out aluminium dropouts from 5mm alloy, making plywood jigs etc.
I think the time is nigh for buying as I am just starting on a recumbent trike and will have all the steering and suspension parts to make.
Whilst I need a little accuracy, my creations aren't going into space and the alternative is using a jigsaw and a file.
Before I commit to buy, any warnings thoughts etc. This one is already in the UK so no horrid import duty to pay, bonus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3040T-DJ-3-Axis-CNC-Router-Engraver-Milling-Machine-Engravi

njhussey
09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Says it's not available or has been removed?

jimbo_cnc
09-03-2015, 09:17 PM
New link needed. Then I'm sure I'll have some comments based on my own experience.

jimbo_cnc
09-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Maybe this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381098138635?

When I researched 6040s I decided I wanted ballscrew (not trapezioidal screw), and I wanted a control box with individual motor drivers rather than a 1 board solution. I don't know if those are options on 3040s

Someone else will tell you how suitable the 230W spindle is for aluminium (it might be OK?) I bought 800w watercooled for doing plastic.

aideym
09-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Hi Jimbo, yes that link is the same machine as I was considering.

komatias
10-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I bought one of them, the electronics are a bit limp for aluminium but the mechanics are solid enough. Be prepared to take small 0.1mm depth cuts and do not expect the world from it.

Out of the box, I found that the cables are shocking. The spindle cables are not grounded, the electronics box is not grounded and the spindle drive burns a diode that sits parallel to the power transistor. I beefed up the diode and replaced the stepper driver board with a gecko 540 we had lying around.

I use a USB Smoothstepper on it now as I have found it to suffice since there are no ground loops or powerspikes even when switching the spindle motor on.

With a little effort you can also plum the spindle control into the box too. It takes frequency input to the spindle drive board that Mach3 is capable of sending (via lpt or smoothstepper)

My machine has been loaned to a client for a bit but I installed limitswitches to it before letting them take it.

May I suggest you go with this one instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-AXIS-CNC-ROUTER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-3040T-DRILLING-MILLING-CUTTER-Ball-Screws-/121591976878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4f7253ae

It has the watercooled spindle that is much better than the DC motor that the other one has.

Best of luck.

aideym
10-03-2015, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=komatias;67698]
This machine looks absolutely ideal for me. Thank you for the advice I'll see how much of a hit they will take on the best offer option.

regards
Aiden

Lee Roberts
28-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Aiden,

Did you manage to get one with a "best offer" or did you get something else?, its currently showing as out of stock at the mo.

.Me