PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi all ship modeller

timtom1
12-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new to this and am hoping people can help me realise my dream of building a ship model from Solidworks to milled parts out of swiss pear.

Thanks

Tim

MikeyC38
13-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new to this and am hoping people can help me realise my dream of building a ship model from Solidworks to milled parts out of swiss pear.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim
Welcome on board. The first thing to do is to follow the build logs and "immerse" yourself in the termingology etc. Study a number of designs and follow the Build Logs to learn their strengths and weakness (here (http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8206-Ar-last!!!-Started-my-Gantry-3-Axis-CNC-Build)is my build log in progress). Ask questions on this forum if you can't find the answer yourself by searching the forum. Here (http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/4031-Design-Help-Pt2-Required-for-CNC-design-Build)is the link for my initial design process .Also now is the time to learn how to use your chosen CAD package, if you don't already have those skills. This is vital as part of the workflow from going from design to manufacture. Study and build your knowledge first before spending money! - this will save you money and time in the long run. Also on this forum there are some great guys who have PRACTICAL experience of designing, building and operating these machines. Listen to them.

All the best
Mike

Turner_110
19-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Hi Tim

I am also a model boat builder currently part way through a 60" plank on frame tugboat. I use Inventor and have several models created waiting the arrival of a 3d printer (Resin SLA) to make deck fixtures.

Through a maker group I have used a laser cutter to make an electrical control panel and a pair of motor mount plates in Acrylic (might redo in sheet metal - but the laser wont cut that) and am currently experimenting with a Boxford CNC mill to cut a part in cast nylon that I have modelled.

Have (tucked away in the back of my mind) an idea to build a 1:25 fright ship which would be 15' long for the tug to tow - thought about laser cutting or routing some 19mm foam board slices (once modelled in Inventor) and sticking all 400+ of them together to make the model. LOL one day.....

What sort of boat are you planning? Excuse my ignorance is swiss pear a type of timber?

David