PDA

View Full Version : 3D Relief work

petesos
05-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Hi All
I know its been a while since i posted but have been to busy loosing money:tennis: ( may as well tell it how it is )
But i was wondering if anyone on here knows of anyone on here that converts pictures to 3D STL relief models to be carved on the cnc

Pete

dazza
05-06-2015, 08:19 PM
if your not after a freebie have a look at his work in the link..i don't what his rates are.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5972-custom-3d-models-for-CNC-sculpture-portraits-reliefs?highlight=veres

Neale
05-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Not quite sure what you are looking to do, but PhotoVCarve from Vectric will take pictures and produce "relief" toolpaths. You need to look at the website to see what it can do. Commercial product (i.e. it costs) but free trial available.

I have used 123D Catch to convert a set of photographs of an object to a 3S STL model, then used a freeware programme to turn it into a toolpath. 123D Catch is a free online "service" where you upload your photographs and some time later download a model. I found it difficult to use, but it did work and I took a series of images of an object right through to a machined piece. I think I used Pycam for the 3D toolpath generation although I'm not sure about that now; these days I use the Vectric Cut3D programme (but that one costs as well).

petesos
05-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Cheers bud I will check out the link , I dont want a freebe as i need to pass the cost on to the client for this work to be done Pete
if your not after a freebie have a look at his work in the link..i don't what his rates are.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5972-custom-3d-models-for-CNC-sculpture-portraits-reliefs?highlight=veres

petesos
05-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Hi Bud
I have the Cut 3d program and the Vectric 3D but it does not convert a photo to a 3d relief does it ?
Pete

Not quite sure what you are looking to do, but PhotoVCarve from Vectric will take pictures and produce "relief" toolpaths. You need to look at the website to see what it can do. Commercial product (i.e. it costs) but free trial available.

I have used 123D Catch to convert a set of photographs of an object to a 3S STL model, then used a freeware programme to turn it into a toolpath. 123D Catch is a free online "service" where you upload your photographs and some time later download a model. I found it difficult to use, but it did work and I took a series of images of an object right through to a machined piece. I think I used Pycam for the 3D toolpath generation although I'm not sure about that now; these days I use the Vectric Cut3D programme (but that one costs as well).

phill05
05-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Have a look at Vectric PhotoVcarve will do all you want.

Phill

petesos
06-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Phill

Will have a look :smug:

Neale
06-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Hi Bud
I have the Cut 3d program and the Vectric 3D but it does not convert a photo to a 3d relief does it ?
Pete

No - that's what PhotoVCarve does. I had suggested a couple of ideas but they do very different things. Sorry if my post was confusing.

petesos
06-06-2015, 08:27 AM
No - that's what PhotoVCarve does. I had suggested a couple of ideas but they do very different things. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Cheers bud I will go and have a look at that and see where it leads me
Pete

Boyan Silyavski
06-06-2015, 01:19 PM
That from the link above seems to me like top quality jobs. Being myself an artist, have done myself a couple of things in the past, so i could spot the good stuff.

petesos
06-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi Bud
Is this a job you could do
Pete

petesos
07-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Phill

Had a look at this program yes it does photos but I have a 80 watt Laser that does my photos far better quality than a cnc but the customer wants the Lancaster Bomber to look as though it is flying out of the wall :hopelessness:
Pete

phill05
08-06-2015, 05:49 AM
Had a look at this program yes it does photos but I have a 80 watt Laser that does my photos far better quality than a cnc but the customer wants the Lancaster Bomber to look as though it is flying out of the wall :hopelessness:
Pete

But your question was about getting an image through to cnc!! To get the best out of photoVcarve Use the highest resolution photos you have, first run through an Image edditing program & increase the contrast, then convert them to black and white (not gray scale).

If you want to make a part of the image stand out more then you are going have to put some work into it to raise or lower said part, then you are looking at using another program such as Vertric ASPIRE in which you import an image work on it and take it through to produce the toolpaths for cutting on a cnc or laser, but going this route is expencive but rewarding in the finished piece.

Phill

petesos
08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
But your question was about getting an image through to cnc!! To get the best out of photoVcarve Use the highest resolution photos you have, first run through an Image edditing program & increase the contrast, then convert them to black and white (not gray scale).

If you want to make a part of the image stand out more then you are going have to put some work into it to raise or lower said part, then you are looking at using another program such as Vertric ASPIRE in which you import an image work on it and take it through to produce the toolpaths for cutting on a cnc or laser, but going this route is expencive but rewarding in the finished piece.

Phill

Right Phill, I am going to have another go with it and do what you have said ,,,worth a try and will post the outcome Bud
Pete

Neale
08-06-2015, 05:10 PM
From what you are saying, you might be looking to turn a picture into a 3D model, rather than the light-and-shade conversion that PhotoVCarve does. This is something I did a while back - I can't pretend that it's good, but it's better than I expected. It's part of a project to make a nameplate for my house. I used 123D Catch to turn a bunch of digital photographs of the badger model into an STL model which I then hacked around a bit, and used Cut3D to turn into a toolpath. It was all done when I was new to the software and the whole CNC thing, so it's not done very well, but it illustrates the art of the possible, maybe. I could imagine using this technique to get an impression of an aircraft emerging from a flat plate.
Original model:
Machined model:
The grooving effect is because I didn't use an appropriate step-over for the ballnose cutter used for finishing. As I say, it's not good but even to achieve this was a lot of work. I guess you might be able to find someone with 3D scanning capability, given an aircraft model as a starting point.

Boyan Silyavski
08-06-2015, 05:41 PM
So you would like to do it by cutting or by laser, i don't understand?

Cause if by laser you need to retouch the file in Photoshop and make it look beveled

Or you need to make it a real 3D with Aspire or similar.

phill05
08-06-2015, 05:53 PM
This bike is worked through Aspire and cut into a stone memorial.

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15488&stc=1

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15489&stc=1

petesos
08-06-2015, 06:06 PM
From what you are saying, you might be looking to turn a picture into a 3D model, rather than the light-and-shade conversion that PhotoVCarve does. This is something I did a while back - I can't pretend that it's good, but it's better than I expected. It's part of a project to make a nameplate for my house. I used 123D Catch to turn a bunch of digital photographs of the badger model into an STL model which I then hacked around a bit, and used Cut3D to turn into a toolpath. It was all done when I was new to the software and the whole CNC thing, so it's not done very well, but it illustrates the art of the possible, maybe. I could imagine using this technique to get an impression of an aircraft emerging from a flat plate.
Original model:
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15486&stc=1
Machined model:
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15487&stc=1
The grooving effect is because I didn't use an appropriate step-over for the ballnose cutter used for finishing. As I say, it's not good but even to achieve this was a lot of work. I guess you might be able to find someone with 3D scanning capability, given an aircraft model as a starting point.

Not bad Bud and we all need to start somewhere , when I tried it in photo v carve a while ago it looked like Road kill , Honestly

petesos
08-06-2015, 06:08 PM
So you would like to do it by cutting or by laser, i don't understand?

Cause if by laser you need to retouch the file in Photoshop and make it look beveled

Or you need to make it a real 3D with Aspire or similar.
Hi Bud yes I want to make it a 3D carving but my skill level is not up to it:blue:

petesos
08-06-2015, 06:11 PM
This bike is worked t
Pete

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15488&stc=1

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15489&stc=1
Hi Bud
Is this one you have done ??
Pete

phill05
08-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes it's cut into a Portland stone memorial and you can see the detail you can get but you need to work at it.
This is an STL file and if you set up to turn your blank over to cut both sides you would have a 3d model in full, or cut two seperate sides and attach together.

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15490&stc=1

Boyan Silyavski
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
A bit busy but will try to help. Send file and desired size at costademaria @ gmail.com. send me as much info possible , material, why, what when....

masinecc
07-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi all, i am searching for a software which can convert multiply color images to depthmaps, so i can make a relief from a depthmap using Aspire. Any idea ?

Boyan Silyavski
08-09-2015, 08:15 AM
if you want good result, forget about multiple. You will need to touch manually here and there. But Photoshop can do all you need, batches also. In fact Photoshop is the standard. All else is a copy of it. But check if Lightroom could do that.

Dragonfly
08-09-2015, 01:08 PM
No program in the world will do a real high quality 3D model/ bas relief from a photo.
It's an artistic work only a human can do.

Musht
09-09-2015, 01:42 AM
Its art rather than science, how far in depth do want to go

http://www.cnc4free.org/

Cambam and Meshcam Art both have fre trials and will do bmp to height maps

Dragonfly
09-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Height map is a totally different thing.