PDA

View Full Version : Gecko G540

Sparks
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Ordered a G540 from the manufacturer last week and actually received it less than 48 hours after ordering it.
I'm amazed how small it is to say theres 4 drives and a bob in there, it literally fits into the palm of my hand!

Just got to build my PSU now.

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=513&stc=1&d=1244373584

John S
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Did you get hit for customs ?

Sparks
07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
John, No, Fedex man just dropped it off, all he wanted was my signature.

Kip, Yeah its a lovely piece of kit, all the step//dir pins/sockets are numbered although you can't see them in the pic. They also supplied 4 9 pin plugs to go with it, a nice touch I thought.:smile:

John S
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
That's probably the answer then in using Fedex.
If it had come thru the PO it would have attracted VAT plus handling.

I had some repaired units returned and the bastards charged me VAT for the second time because they had marked the package with the purchase price and not FOC repaired units and there is no way you can get this back.

It would have meant getting a letter from the supplier, who can't be arsed as it's not his problem, then appealing against it, time wise a non starter in that wasted times would be greater than the VAT and handling paid, bastards.

Robin Hewitt
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
A few letters exchanged and I managed to convince em they weren't getting a cent out of me....

You don't think they'll just wait until next time someone sends you something by Fedex, then hold it to ransom :joker:

irving2008
07-06-2009, 05:40 PM
You don't think they'll just wait until next time someone sends you something by Fedex, then hold it to ransom :joker:
Thats just Machiavellian, Robin... or its your paranoia showing through...

Robin Hewitt
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Thats just Machiavellian, Robin... or its your paranoia showing through...

I just pay it, OTOH I get to reclaim the VAT content :beer:

lateAtNight
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I thought I got away with not paying the import/VAT on my smooth stepper, but alas, a letter turned up a few weeks later demanding a stupid amount :(. Still haven't paid it, but last time I did that they sent out another letter saying they were going to send out creditors.

Sparks
08-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm expecting my letter sometime soon, however on one occasion they did forget me.:dance:

I know that they can be sods for overcharging too, this link points to a site that provides all the different duty rates etc: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/tariff?r.l1=1079717544&r.lc=en&r.l2=1079841842&r.s=tl

Anyways from what I've gleaned I'll be liable for 15% VAT and 2.1% import duty.

Lets hope they forget me again!!

Dave

irving2008
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
or secondhand parts or used items... no VAT then

tumutbound
09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Is there a lower limit on which you still have to pay VAT/duty?

Here in Oz, anything brought in for personal use and valued under $1000 is GST (VAT) exempt.

--
Regards
Geoff

irving2008
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
You sure you're not a Yorshireman Irving: :DOnly by association - I am fan of the wide open spaces, walking the moors in the rain, and driving over Saddleworth Moor in the sunshine with the roof down at insane speeds... the A616/629 from the M1 to Holmfirth (I have a good friend who lives at Thongsbridge) isn't bad either for a spirited run!

Lee Roberts
11-06-2009, 07:10 PM
They are nice units, whats the cost per unit Sparks ?

Yea ill defo join Kip on this one, really nice gota love the size of them. Cant wait to see how you put them to use/mount Sparks !

Sparks
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Hello Lee

They cost $299 + $25 shipping, thats around £200ish at current exchange rates.

Yes its a cracking unit, built in bob and quite good functionality, also if any of the individual drives fail all you do is pull it out and plug in another.

The unit is going into a 19 inch rack mount case into a cut-out in the front panel. PSU also going into a separate rack case, I'm trying to make it modular so I can swap things about if need be. Also helps things out from an EMC prospective as well.

Router stand nearly fabbed up, was given a couple of beer :beer: pumps so now I'm thinking of using one of them for a suds pump or spray mist unit????? dunno yet. So much to do so little time! I'm now fancying a Wabeco mill!! Where will it all end??

Catch you later

Phil Gravett
29-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm considering a Gecko 540 for my Starmill. Are you happy with it's performance?