PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New member

philgiggins
28-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Hi all, Im Philip and 1 am currently building my first CNC router. I feel like i know a lot of people on here already from reading various posts etc. Mechanically im nearly there however, Im having a few problems deciding on the electrics. So far they consist of a 800 x 600 x 250 steel enclosure which is empty at the minute! I am using slaved axis for Y. Y is 3m long and is driven by 2 damen cnc rack and pinion anti backlash unit with a 5:1 gearbox. X is 1400mm wide and is driven by a 25mm ballscrew with 10mm pitch. Z is 200mm and is driven by a 25mm ball screw with a 5mm pitch. I am planning to use this router in my furniture business , so i would like a controller that is robust and reliable. I have done a lot of research but i still feel like ill be jumping in and end up wasting time and money. I was looking at the 10amp 4 axis kit with 8MN steppers from benezan for example. Then i thought maybe closed loop. Whatever i use i would like it to be fairly straight forward to wire. Any advice or observations would be appreciated.
Thanks Philip

philgiggins
01-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I realise i was a little vague with my first post. As this was my first time to post i didnt want to be to specify or seem demanding. Anyway on the electrics front i had some clear ideas but no.1 would like to know if anyone else has tryed this. No 2 has anyone had any bad experiences with any of the components.
Option 1.
Cs Labs CSMIO/IP-M
Leadshine ES-M23480 (8NM) Motors
Leadshine DS-808 Closed loop drivers
Linear power supply.
Heres where im unsure
My machine is 4 axis and i emailed Cslabs about the IP/M and they said use the IP/S. In my head if i have the IP/M with a closed loop system then technically my gantry should be locked together has it should be impossible to lose steps?? Am i completely wrong in this assumption. If anyone has any opinions no matter how negative i would appreciate them , as i would like to get some parts ordered soon.
I should probably mention i already have the IP/M , it was bought a while ago for a different project, but i would like to use it if at all possible.

Thanks Philip

njhussey
01-07-2015, 01:23 PM
With the IP/M whilst I think you technically can slave I think it's a bit of a fudge around but I'm not 100% on this....jazz will better advise you (I've got an IP/M but am using one stepper and belt for my x axis) when he comes along...

philgiggins
01-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Thanks Neil,

Still a little unsure which way to go. Was looking at the IP/S but i think i would go with an open loop system if i bought this due to budget restrictions! I could always sell the IP/M to offset some of the cost. I had a look through your build log , thats an impressive looking Control box! I think when i eventually get all electrical parts on the bench i will be using some information from your log if you dont mind.

Thanks Philip

njhussey
02-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks Neil,

Still a little unsure which way to go. Was looking at the IP/S but i think i would go with an open loop system if i bought this due to budget restrictions! I could always sell the IP/M to offset some of the cost. I had a look through your build log , thats an impressive looking Control box! I think when i eventually get all electrical parts on the bench i will be using some information from your log if you dont mind.

Thanks Philip

Use whatever you like from the build log, that's what it's up there for! I'm just about to go and do some more wiring on it after a 6 week or so break...struggling to remember what I was going to do next!!!

Lee Roberts
02-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your machine.

.Me

philgiggins
02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your machine.

.Me
Thanks Lee, if and when i get it finished ill post some pics!

Use whatever you like from the build log, that's what it's up there for! I'm just about to go and do some more wiring on it after a 6 week or so break...struggling to remember what I was going to do next!!!

Lee Roberts
03-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Cool stuff bring on the pics :)