PDA

View Full Version : New member about to get his feet wet

linskill
24-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Chaps,
I am a semi retired marine grease monkey who makes ends meet by doing the odd agri repair.
I have been considering a plasma table for a while now but I really cant justify £10K plus for a turn key unit so the idea is to build one, besides that the information on this site is excellent and I will enjoy doing it.
Initially I was thinking along the lines of a full sized table (as I have the space) but to be honest a 1250 x 1250 will do everything I will require.
Now, before I go and do a man thing and try to re-invent the wheel and design my own (we always know better) can anyone recommend a certain type or a good set of plans (I dont mind paying for a good set).
I know I am going to have to upgrade my trusty 9 year old Ching Chong Cut50 with a newer machine, I am restricted a bit by the lack of three phase, bearing in mind I need to cut 12mm+ anyone got any suggestions?

Davek0974
24-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Hi

I am in the middle of building a 1250 table, no plans, just a bit of cad and sketches ;)

I would look at Hypertherm for the plasma source, I tried others and had nothing but troubles. I have a PowerMax 45 now and that will do 1/2" ok

There's a lot of good help on the 'net.

T0rnado69
27-07-2015, 09:54 AM
take a read of all the build threads.
a lot of good info on there.....

is the powermax 45 single phase or 3 phase.

cheers.

linskill
27-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks chaps, My problem is the lack of 3 phase (last quote 30k+ to install it) I don't think the Powermax 45 is big enough to cover all my needs (wants). I am thinking along the lines of the Tec Arc OptiCut 95 which comes as single phase and they quote some impressive cutting capacities. Does anyone know anything about them ?

Boyan Silyavski
27-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Thanks chaps, My problem is the lack of 3 phase (last quote 30k+ to install it) I don't think the Powermax 45 is big enough to cover all my needs (wants). I am thinking along the lines of the Tec Arc OptiCut 95 which comes as single phase and they quote some impressive cutting capacities. Does anyone know anything about them ?

Are you sure you want that exact machine? I have never heard of it but its 3 phase definetely, come on- its 90A machine.

Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics / Victo, Esab/ are the ones that could deliver thickest cut on 1 phase. For thicker than 12mm i will definitely not experiment with other machines

PS. Ok i see i was wrong they say run on 1 phase on their web site, claiming to be the only one. Which is not the case as their cutter is similar to Powermax85 which also could run on 1 phase if i am not mistaken.

Robin Hewitt
27-07-2015, 07:24 PM
I heard that Hypertherm was the bees knees on that American CNC site, but it is a lot cheaper over there. Is one torch for all thicknesses the problem with the cheaper cutters. Maybe a low power fine jet torch for thin sheet and something altogether fatter for plate is the missing ingredient?

Boyan Silyavski
27-07-2015, 08:31 PM
I heard that Hypertherm was the bees knees on that American CNC site, but it is a lot cheaper over there. Is one torch for all thicknesses the problem with the cheaper cutters. Maybe a low power fine jet torch for thin sheet and something altogether fatter for plate is the missing ingredient?

Good torches have different nozzles for fine cuts with smaller kerf/ again Hypertherm/. Its true they have it more cheaper there than here. I actually have combined a China plasma with SL60 torch from thermal dynamics, that's an universal torch. Still have not made any cut with it as i am waiting for the 16mm adapter to connect it to the plasma. compared side to side with the china hose and torch, the latter is a joke.

Will report soon the result but i don't doubt that a torch that is the same price as my whole plasma machine will not work well.

The guy that sold me the THC also recommended a Binzel torch combined with the china plasma and i have seen photos of cut pieces with that combo that look perfect. .

linskill
27-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Are you sure you want that exact machine? I
At the moment I am not sure of anything - more research needed.
As I said earlier I do a lot of agri repairs, some of the material is quite heavy and to be able to quickly cut a replacement part would be a real bonus. Today's job was a good example, a buck rake came in with a damaged Merlo Hitch (30mm plate, How it got so bent I will probably never know) but that meant a 50mile round trip to get a new one.
The only thing I know for sure is that if I am going to shell out the necessary to build a CNC table scrimping on the cutter is probably false economy and being a male of the species I want the biggest I can get on single phase.

T0rnado69
28-07-2015, 03:12 AM
if I am going to shell out the necessary to build a CNC table scrimping on the cutter is probably false economy

if you want to do it right and once.
then you don't want to scrimp on the drivers,motors or linear gear either.

but i agree you want the best cutter you can have.

linskill
28-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Speaking of the control electrics, Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I was thinking of one the Bladerunner kits from candcnc. I am not sure about the THC - whats the difference between the DTHC IV and the DTHC II.

Boyan Silyavski
28-07-2015, 08:54 AM
At the moment I am not sure of anything - more research needed.
As I said earlier I do a lot of agri repairs, some of the material is quite heavy and to be able to quickly cut a replacement part would be a real bonus. Today's job was a good example, a buck rake came in with a damaged Merlo Hitch (30mm plate, How it got so bent I will probably never know) but that meant a 50mile round trip to get a new one.
The only thing I know for sure is that if I am going to shell out the necessary to build a CNC table scrimping on the cutter is probably false economy and being a male of the species I want the biggest I can get on single phase.

If i were you and having in mind that the machine you like manufacturer is from the same country, its a no brainer for me. Call them, arrange a meeting to see a working machine cutting, go and see it and eventually come back with it. With the added benefit to know them personally in case you need help later.

linskill
01-08-2015, 07:08 PM
As no one has made any comment concerning the Blade Runner kits from CandCNC I am not sure what to make of them, are they any good or is there a better option?

Davek0974
01-08-2015, 07:53 PM
As happy customer of CandCNC - I have one of their THC units, I can only guess that their kits are of equal, excellent quality.

I wouldn't have any worries about buying one if i needed it.

Boyan Silyavski
03-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Speaking of the control electrics, Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I was thinking of one the Bladerunner kits from candcnc. I am not sure about the THC - whats the difference between the DTHC IV and the DTHC II.

http://www.candcnc.com/CompartChartOnly.htm

As no one has made any comment concerning the Blade Runner kits from CandCNC I am not sure what to make of them, are they any good or is there a better option?

If you are looking for a simple solution its a well proven choice. many people at forums run this setup.

However i choose another setup coupled with Neuron THC. Still have not made a cut but: i prefer buying from Europe, did not like CADNC attitude at some cnczone discussions, prefer servos than steppers for plasma, don't like the way he is closed his system, the Neuron seems more modern and with some more possibilities, etc...