PDA

View Full Version : 2.2KW 3HP Inverter help

adamh
30-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Morning All

I have bought a 2.2KW Spindle from eBay to replace my smaller 1.5KW Spindle. I now need a 2.2KW Inverter to run it.

Rather than buying a cheaper Chinese one what can i get from the UK with technical back up if needed

Thanks Adam

Clive S
30-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Morning All

I have bought a 2.2KW Spindle from eBay to replace my smaller 1.5KW Spindle. I now need a 2.2KW Inverter to run it.

Rather than buying a cheaper Chinese one what can i get from the UK with technical back up if needed

Thanks AdamI don't see any problem with the Chinese inverters you can get them from the UK from Portsmouth if you wish. I think if you had bought the spindle with the inverter you may have got a better deal.

njhussey
30-07-2015, 01:18 PM
As Clive says the cheap Chinese ones seem fine, lots on here (me included) have them. ABB are good ones the ACS355 I believe is used by a couple of people on here (EddyCurrent and Jazz I think...)

Boyan Silyavski
30-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Good or bad, i will always prefer a brand inverter if i have the cash. Not that i did not buy Chinese 3kw inverter for my big machine :-). i would not put a China VFD in a client machine though. Only if they insist to go super cheap, and man, these are no good clients, these are fellow forum members :-)

here is one seller (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ukspeedcontrols/m.html?item=111716051042&hash=item1a02cba862&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562) i know in UK, on ebay from many years ago. no experience with him.

I personally recommend inverters_and_motors seller from Italy and this VFD (http://www.ebay.it/itm/INVERTER-TOSHIBA-PER-MOTORE-VFnC3-230V-HP-3/310190796090?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D20140402094601%26meid%3D95d9261bfc75447 681bfdb75293c2757%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D 10%26sd%3D310190794471). When i want to buy a brand inverter i buy it from him,warranty +Toshiba are very reliable VFD. Much more versatile than the typical China clone. Judging from the control of 0.8kw spindle i would say its great, as it outputs enough power to mill aluminum with 2mm depth and 6mm cutter at 12000RPM.

Clive S
30-07-2015, 07:33 PM
i would not put a China VFD in a client machine though. Only if they insist to go super cheap, and man, these are no good clients, these are fellow forum members :-)
.I don't think it is fair to knock the Chinese spindle and vfd as I would guess about 70% of the people on here use them without problems.
You could buy two of the Chinese VFD's for one of the others, you have to remember that most people are doing this as a hobby and not using them commercially.
Are you saying that the fellow members on here are not good clients!!!.
For the record how many of the Toshiba units have you used to highly recommend them? Would you mind quantifying how much more versatile they are than the typical China clone.
I am not having a go Boyan but you have to remember that most people are on a budget. :beer:

corkcnc
30-07-2015, 09:11 PM
When I retrofitted my bridgeport I went with an ABB simply because I wanted one with a safe torque off option to wire through my spindle on/off. Whilst many would consider it over kill I didn't want to be grasping an 80mm flycutter in a tool change if that 1 in a million failure event occurred causing my spindle motor to go live. It did cost about £300 quid delivered including the front panel but it's quality kit that only has to be bought once.
Never dealt with the Chinese vfd so can't comment on them.
Just my two cent.
Best of luck with it.
Noel.

I don't think it is fair to knock the Chinese spindle and vfd as I would guess about 70% of the people on here use them without problems.
You could buy two of the Chinese VFD's for one of the others, you have to remember that most people are doing this as a hobby and not using them commercially.
For the record how many of the Toshiba units have you used to highly recommend them? Would you mind quantifying how much more versatile they are than the typical China clone.
I am not having a go Boyan but you have to remember that most people are on a budget. :beer:

Boyan Silyavski
30-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi Clive,

Here are my thoughts below. We are all on a budget. I would like to remind you that some people value time more than others and are willing to pay for that.

I don't think it is fair to knock the Chinese spindle and vfd as I would guess about 70% of the people on here use them without problems.

As i said i also bought chinese 3kw VFD. That does not mean it was the right choice. In my case it was the right choice as i spoke with fred from BST and bought it from him, latest model and one of the reliable they use in China. So no, i did not jump on the first ebay spindle and VFD combo.

I am saying that a good client is one that values his time and money and makes right decisions. I am saying also that about 10 percent of people lurking on forums make Pro grade machines and use them to make money. I am saying also that 50 % at least of people building machines are trying to save to the last penny and time is not an issue for them, so yes, these are not good clients according to me. Hell Clive, i am not always a good client cause i want maximum savings :greedy_dollars:

-For the record i have fitted only 2 personally on machines. I use one of them in very dusty, humid /60-90%/ and hot/ 30-45C/ enviroment in the last 5 years everyday.
-i have recommended to 2 people on this forum and they have bought it, later helped them with adjustments. No problems so far that i know of, so all should be working well
-have recommended and helped to other people here in Spain, all happy
-have dealt with the company i recommend, received help from them and no problem with warranty once i thought the VFD was wrong but at the end it seems i made some error adjusting it / in the early days/

-The Toshiba has a function that for 1 min i could see and put on a paper all the custom adjustments i have made and send it to you. So instead of lurking reading 350 pages manual you could program it for 1/2 an hour. if i remember correctly the first time i dealt with VFD it took me days to understand what they are talking about.
In the same way i could help a client and see what he did to the VFD for a min.
-auto tuning function to the exact spindle you connect it to
-many other specific functions but in general the Chinese VFD was like a crippled cousin compared to that. Thats what i felt when first i read the manual of my China VFD i mean.

I am not having a go Boyan but you have to remember that most people are on a budget.

The question here was : "Rather than buying a cheaper Chinese one what can i get from the UK with technical back up if needed", so i believe i answered it correctly without implying anything

Clive S
31-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Boyan If you don't understand what I am trying to say then it no point me answering the above so we just have to agree to disagree. ..Clive

Boyan Silyavski
31-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Boyan If you don't understand what I am trying to say then it no point me answering the above so we just have to agree to disagree. ..Clive

Funny i thought the same :hysterical: