PDA

View Full Version : New project - Aluminium Guitar Nut Height Gauge

Washout
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Hi All,

Been a few weeks since I posted a project video, as I've been busy luthiering, err doing luthiery, errr making a guitar.

To help with that in the future I made a Nut Height Gauge block which holds a DTI so you can measure string height at the first fret and then file the slots for the strings to the correctt depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfpz9_cNpRk

routercnc
06-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Nice project. I just got my guitar back from a service after over 20 years of use and abuse and it is now a totally different guitar. They re-profiled the frets, cleaned everything, fixed the broken tone control, improved the earthing, fitted new strings, lowered the trem bar string rocker (don't know the name!) so the strings are closer to the frets, and it is so much nicer to play and has such a nice sound.

Should have done it years ago!

Washout
06-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks and agree a good service on a guitar does wonders - what guitar have you got?

I've just bought a fret levelling kit from Crimson Guitars for the kit I'm building and then I'll hopefully (if I feel confident enough) I'll start on my collection - the Strat hasn't been done since the mid-90's and the Les Paul and Tele not since they left the shops in 02 and 96 respectively.

I've got some other luthier tools that I think I can CNC as well.....an example will be the action/saddle height gauge which is similar in application to the nut slot gauge.

routercnc
06-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Yamaha RGX112 (red) into a Peavey backstage 110 amp. I've had both for over 20 years. Seem to remember the big reason for buying was the extra frets (24?) to play some of the solos. Lots of guitars have less frets.

Often wondered about cnc machining a new one but with little time I'll stick with my shop bought one for now.

p.s. Next video with guitars needs to show you banging out a tune !

njhussey
06-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Nice Project Chris, reminds me that my guitar (Vintage SG copy) needs a damn good service. The frets need at the very least flatting/re-profiling and probably some of them replacing. They'll first have to scrape off the thick layer of dust from it.....

Once I've made a new back plate for my Z axis to give me more cutting height I want to make either an explorer or a V :eagerness:

Washout
06-10-2015, 10:31 PM
That will be a cool project to watch Neil, although Gibsons are a more complex build from what I've seen, hence I'm sticking with Fender styles for now. You can kind of see with a machinist's eyes how Leo Fender designed his guitars for mass production and minimising the operation times for each component.

njhussey
06-10-2015, 10:48 PM
What cam software do you use Chris?

JAZZCNC
06-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Nice little project and video but you know I've got to comment on that "poor mans Adaptive milling" . . Lol . . . . .He can't be that poor because he likes wasting electricity and time cutting air.!!

Com-on Washout I'd thought by now you'd know how to manual g-code to do that job in half the time.! :concern:

Washout
06-10-2015, 11:04 PM
What cam software do you use Chris?

Vectric Cut2D (old version).

Washout
06-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Nice little project and video but you know I've got to comment on that "poor mans Adaptive milling" . . Lol . . . . .He can't be that poor because he likes wasting electricity and time cutting air.!!

Com-on Washout I'd thought by now you'd know how to manual g-code to do that job in half the time.! :concern:

Lol yeah I thought that might provoke some comment. Its at least better than the back and forth one I ran on the Mic Pop Filter project :-)

You're right of course I should know better and have dabbled recently with a bit of manual editing of G-Code. I'll likely have a crack at shortening the operation time on this part if I need to cut another one like a good CNC padawan should :)

JAZZCNC
06-10-2015, 11:46 PM
You're right of course I should know better and have dabbled recently with a bit of manual editing of G-Code. I'll likely have a crack at shortening the operation time on this part if I need to cut another one like a good CNC padawan should :)

Look towards subs using M98 and "L" option for repeating and then using G91 incremental mode for stepping over inside the sub.!! . . . . have fun it's good exercise worth the effort in long run for simple stuff like this.

Another good tool often under used is Mach3's mdi and Teach tool.? Teach remembers the Mdi commands and writes them to txt file. Great for short runs or odd unusual jobs that are best done with MDI air cutting first.!! (I often use MDI for creeping up on dimensions or correcting Cock ups, not that I ever make any of course.!:hopelessness: ). . . . Try it you'll be surprised how easy it is and quite rewarding.

Washout
08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
p.s. Next video with guitars needs to show you banging out a tune !

Nearly forgot this one - there are 3 bits of music I'm playing, which are buried in the videos on the channel - one should be fairly obvious (:cough: Falcon 4 Development video :whistle:) and then there's the doubleneck guitar project intro video, which has me butchering what must be by now a Geordie folk song riff :friendly_wink: and another where I'm finger-picking on a 12 string.

I am slowly recording other incidental music so I can dispense with the Youtube royalty free stuff, but I think my stage days maybe behind me - might demo the guitars I make though......