PDA

View Full Version : 2.2KW water cooled spindle and Altivar 12 2.2kW 230V 1ph to 3ph

gabi68
08-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Hi to all,

I bought this VFD https://www.inverterdrive.com/group/AC-Inverter-Drives-230V/Schneider-ATV12HU22M2/ . I am having problems to make it work.
Can somebody more experienced have a look and tell me what settings do I need for this to run the spindle?

Thank for your time
Gabi

JAZZCNC
08-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Hi to all,

I bought this VFD https://www.inverterdrive.com/group/AC-Inverter-Drives-230V/Schneider-ATV12HU22M2/ . I am having problems to make it work.
Can somebody more experienced have a look and tell me what settings do I need for this to run the spindle?

Thank for your time
Gabi

Need you to be a bit more specific than "Having problems making it work".

What is or isn't happening.?
What have you done or tried.?
Have you set the parameters in VFD.? . . . . If so which ones and to what values.?

Are you sure it's wired correctly.? Tell or show how you wired it.!
Are you start/stoping/speed control manually or thru machine Control software.?

Give us or me some starting point and I'm sure we'll have you working soon enough.!

Edit: Also some details on the Spindle. Ie: Max speed and frequency, Rated voltage and Amps wrote on side

gabi68
08-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Hi Jazz,

I did not wire the spindle, but I think if I put live to R/L1 and neutral to S/L2/N and earth to ground main side and UVW to spindle side I will be OK.
Spindle is 24000 RPM, 400HZ, 220V, 8.5A, 3 phase.
My problem lies on the parameter side. I read the manual and I am not to confident which parameter I need to change and with what.
Can you help?

Thank you
Gabi

Christian Knuell
09-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Hi,

there are usually only 4 important parameters:

Basefrequency (400Hz) - if you leave this to 50Hz you spindle may have a very short life.
Maxfrequency (400Hz) - so you're able to reach 24000rpm
Minfrequency (100Hz) - sets the lowest rpm (6000 rpm). You an go a bit lower but the spindle will have close to no torque below this point anyways.
Acceleration (and deceleration) time (1 or 2 seconds are OK)

Be careful - VFDs are no toys - they can kill you even if you have an RCD installed in your house.

Christian

JAZZCNC
09-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Important parameters required to Run correctly:

Rated Motor Voltage. . . . . Set to what's wrote on the Spindle
Rated Motor current. . . . . .Set to whats wrote on the spindle.
Rated Motor Frequency. . . .Set to whats wrote on the Spindle.
Rated Motor KW. . . . . . . . .Set to Spindle rating. (Next 2 probably Not actually required to work but best entered)
Rated Motor speed. . . . . . . Set to Spindle Max RPM

General setup parameters for correct speed etc:
Maximum Frequency. . . . . Set to maximum you want to run spindle at, no higher than the spindle max frequency rating.
Minimum Frequency . . . . . Set to lowest you want to run spindle. Setting to Zero won't hurt anything but there will be little torque left below 5000rpm or 84hz.
Acceleration. . . . . Set between 2-3s . . . Don't set to these low else you may fault VFD.
Deceleration . . . . .set between 2-3s

Try these and should get you working.

I also echo Christians warning. VFD's are not toys and never mess around with wiring while switched on and leave several minutes before touching after turned off. Even then don't go poking around too much has there are high powered capacitors in side which will spoil your day quickly.!!

Lee Roberts
09-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Have they really got no bleed resistors fitted ?

.Me

JAZZCNC
09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Have they really got no bleed resistors fitted ?

.Me

No rarely do unless asked for and often not needed has the tool size is small so inertia is low. Provided the DC braking isn't set to high it's never a problem. Try to accelrate to full RPM too quickly is what often trips VFD.

Edit: Ah just realised you meant Bleed resistors for the Caps in VFD.!! . . . Yes probably have but still not something to mess around with.!

gabi68
09-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I found some time to read the quick start guide.

I need to set up the following parameters:
- bfr - standard motor freq - that suppose to be 400 - right?
- npr- nominal motor power - what should I put here - 2.2KW?
- ncr - nominal motor curent - 8.5A - right?
- lth - motor thermal curent- no idea?
- acc - acceleration - 3 sec.
- dec - deceleration - 3 sec
- lsp - low speed - probably 50 RPM
- hsp - high speed - 24000 RPM
Please have a look and advise.

Thank you
Gabi

paulus.v
09-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Edited: Here are the Schneider ATV12 settings for the Chinese 2.2kw water-cooled spindle:

bFr - 50 Hz
HSP - 400 Hz
nPr - 2.20 kW
nCr - 0.8 LN (8.0 A)
Allt - 10V
UnS - 220 V
FrS - 400 Hz
nSP - 24000 RPM
tFr - 400 Hz
Ctt - PErF

personal choice:
ACC - 10 s
dEC - 10 s
LSP - 1.0 Hz
rPt - LIn
nrd - yES
SFr - 16 kHz
SFt - HF2

Edit: regarding the low minimum frequency I like to have it from zero. If I need to touch the material in the old fashion, with a piece of newspaper, I feel more safe running the spindle at 1-3 Hz with almost no torque. On the other hand I managed to cut 9 holes in 20mm pinewood with this (http://www.rotopino.co.uk/photo/product/f980x600/hole-saw-for-wood-wolfcraft-42126.jpg) tool at 1500 rpm with 10 mm/min :)

gabi68
14-10-2015, 05:20 PM
I got everything running as it should be.

Thank you Dean and Paulus V.

Many thanks
Gabi

routercnc
14-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Since my spindle cable is floating I would like some opinions about how I mount that on the router without affect the stepper lines.

Many thanks
Gabi

I went for the 'safe' option of not running in the router frame at all, although I've noticed that Dean's machines tend to run the spindle cable in some energy chain back to the Y carriage so if you take the precautions you can run it on the machine frame.

Here is my very old machine but you can see the simple hook arrangement which allows the machine to move around:

BUT - if you have this sort of GX16 screw-on connector to the spindle it will work loose on the pins over time and in case you don't know you must not allow a break in the circuit when under power. It will almost certainly kill the VFD stone dead - ask me how I know! :

So you can replace the connector with a strain relief grommet (see top of spindle):

Plus solder the cables direct to the motor by removing the end cap.

JAZZCNC
14-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I went for the 'safe' option of not running in the router frame at all, although I've noticed that Dean's machines tend to run the spindle cable in some energy chain back to the Y carriage so if you take the precautions you can run it on the machine frame.

Yes when done correctly using shielded cables with correct grounding precautions taken then running VFD cable loosely along side other cables isn't a problem. I do try to run some separation by placing water pipes between cables but still there are places they rub and meet which can't be avoided.

Regards the Spindle connection then I suggest making some form of bracket to help take the strain off the connector and cables. Here's how I do it.!

16300 16301 16302