PDA

View Full Version : Difference between exotic material and not exotic

hoezap
14-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Hello
Thank you for entering in my post

Today I was told most of the material we are machining are exotic material, I did not even know that, what's the main difference between exotic material and not?

I mean in terms of machinability, and I guess they will have also a different British codes.

We do machine a lot of fabrication jobs which are mainly in mild still or aluminium.

Then we do also machine many amoured alluminiom plates and mild still plates.

If am really machining exotic material I cannot see any difference between a normal material and exotic material regarding machinability

Thank you very much in advance for your support

JAZZCNC
14-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Are you serious.??? . . . . If you don't know the material grade how are you programing the speed and feeds..!!!

There's huge differences in how Exotic materials are machined compared to every day materials like Mild steels and plain Aluminium grades.

Maybe someone is pulling your chain at work telling you it's an exotic material when it's just normal grade.

hoezap
14-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Are you serious.??? . . . . If you don't know the material grade how are you programing the speed and feeds..!!!

There's huge differences in how Exotic materials are machined compared to every day materials like Mild steels and plain Aluminium grades.

Maybe someone is pulling your chain at work telling you it's an exotic material when it's just normal grade.

Yes I think you are definitely right I never machined exotic material

njhussey
14-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Standard stainless steel grades for instance are 304S, 316S....exotic are UNS31803 Super Duplex Stainless.....

hoezap
14-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Standard stainless steel grades for instance are 304S, 316S....exotic are UNS31803 Super Duplex Stainless.....
Thank you very much!

Tenson
16-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Do you mean unusual 'exotic' grades of steel and aluminium or do you mean exotic alloy like titanium, cobalt etc?

I guess some unusual grade of aluminium might not be difficult to machine but simply have non-standard properties in other areas. However you will certainly know if you machine solid titanium, carbide, cobalt etc..

hoezap
16-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Do you mean unusual 'exotic' grades of steel and aluminium or do you mean exotic alloy like titanium, cobalt etc?

I guess some unusual grade of aluminium might not be difficult to machine but simply have non-standard properties in other areas. However you will certainly know if you machine solid titanium, carbide, cobalt etc..

Thank you very much for your support

magicniner
16-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Beware anything with black lipstick, almost always fairly exotic ;-)

Tenson
16-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Sometimes you need to use a slow feed when drilling exotics.

komatias
16-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Sometimes you need to use a slow feed when drilling exotics.

Sometimes exotics drill back :playful:

Tenson
17-10-2015, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't go boasting about that story ;)

JAZZCNC
17-10-2015, 01:12 AM
fairly exotic ;-)

It's those Fairy Exotics you have to beware drilling.!!

magicniner
17-10-2015, 11:50 AM
It's those Fairy Exotics you have to beware drilling.!!

I wouldn't mind an Exotic Fairey, sadly the budget 'round here doesn't run to fast boats ;-)

hoezap
17-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Can ARMOURED ALUMINIUM ALLOYS and Ballistic Grade Aluminium be considered exotic material?

komatias
17-10-2015, 11:56 PM
You could say you have an exotic grade of aluminium as it is difficult to source or is used in special applications..making it ££££££. your descripotion of the material could be anything really. Your clients however will be saying they need e.g 7075 aluminium with min Yield strength and each batch tested and inspected and accompanied by material certs etc, etc etc.

Exotic alloys usually have special properties. Examples that spring to mind are stainless steels with nitrogen content, nickel alloys such as inconel, titanium, kovar, invar. Some people also class composite plastics such as carbon fille PEEK as an exotic.

it all comes down to your own definition