PDA

View Full Version : Getting a TIG welder and need some advice please

cropwell
08-11-2015, 06:50 PM
I am thinking about getting a TIG welder and need some advice.

The frame I will be building is 5mm thick section, so the first question is - What power welder do I need ?

Is this one suitable ? It is in my price range http://welduk.com/product/sip-05266-weldmate-p178hf-inverter-tig-torch-160-amp AND WeldUK deal with welding equipment and not much else. I have bought from them before and I trust them. I say this because the cheaper 200A welders on eBay all seem to be sold by businesses that sell all sorts of fancy goods and have low feedback scores.

What does the team think ?

Rob

Web Goblin
09-11-2015, 07:32 AM
I like the advert. Very high duty cycle @60%. I think not!
You will be low on current at 160 amps for 5mm thick. I think you would need around 200-220 amps.
Why tig? Why not MMA?

komatias
09-11-2015, 12:01 PM
With a TIG welder you will be able to do MMA (stick) they, just need to swap polarities. MMA's are cheap as chips nowdays.

When I was looking for a welder, I wanted something that would do AC as well, mostly because I wanted to do aluminium. The price does go up though. In the end I went with the R-Tech 161 as I could pick it up from close to the office and they had shop soiled items at a discount compared to new.

cropwell
09-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I like the advert. Very high duty cycle @60%. I think not!
You will be low on current at 160 amps for 5mm thick. I think you would need around 200-220 amps.
Why tig? Why not MMA?

The WeldUK advert is just lifted from the SIP site, so they say 60% :rolleyes:
I think I could multipass weld 5mm OK

Rob

cropwell
09-11-2015, 03:21 PM
When I was looking for a welder, I wanted something that would do AC as well, mostly because I wanted to do aluminium.

That's a good point about ali, I was wondering why this one stated welds steel and copper. Thanks for highlighting that.

How about this machine and supplier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-WELDER-240-V-INCS-FREE-AUTO-DARKENING-HELMET-AND-FOOT-PEDAL-2-YEAR-WAR-/311481470776?hash=item4885be0f38:g:ivEAAOSwDk5Tz61 8 anybody got any experience of this seller ?

Rob

JAZZCNC
09-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Tig is nice but only if you want to weld materials that have heat considerations like Stainless, Ti, Ali etc or thin materials. Also To weld Ali and other exotics requires much more expensive gases like Pure Argon or Argon & helium mix etc so unless you have need for cosmetic welds and thin heat sensitive materials then for the run of mill steels then much quicker and cheaper with MIG.

Then you have the learning curve which is much higher than MIG or MMA esp when you talking Ali etc. You'll use much more consumables with TIG when learning because just the slightest touch down of the tip means stopping and redressing the tungston otherwise your always going to struggle.

Also Don't buy a Cheap Tig if you plan on welding Ali or more exotic material or thin material and cosmetic welds etc because you need the flexabilty of the settings and they are often limited.

For 5mm steel I'd go MMA for the cheapest option or Big Mig with decent duty cycle.

cropwell
09-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Well now it looks like I can't afford anything for a while. I had to buy a new office printer after the old colour laser 'refused to cooperate'. I shall be taking it for an extended holiday at the recycling centre !

I have a reasonable Mig machine, so I can live with that, but Tig would have been a nice toy. I have learned a lot about Tig in the past couple of days though.

Cheers

Rob

sambo2
08-07-2016, 08:26 AM
What a bummer! If you do decide to get one in the future I can recommend R-Tech. I went down the same route as you by the looks of it and ended up spending slightly more on an R-Tech unit. The service and returns was the main thing that swayed me, didn't fancy sending a faulty machine back to china! Its been faultless for 5 years now. I also got mine as an ex display unit which brought the price close to £300.
Regarding the gas, I used Forest Gas in Lydney for pure argon if you're around that neck of the woods. I also use BOC argoshield for MIG on the volkszone offer, not sure if they are currently offering it but it was cheap at about £50/year rental and £25 fill.

Cheers
Sam

cropwell
08-07-2016, 10:16 AM
£50/year rental and £25 fill.

I went for Hobbyweld, as I am not a habitual welder. The cylinder was a one off £60 and it is £30 a refill. I don't like paying rental for something that can sit in the workshop for 6 months at a time between jobs.

Cheers,

Rob

sambo2
08-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Sorry for the thread resurrection Rob. I read it as the last post was 13 hours ago but that was the last time you were online.. oops.
Do you mind sharing your gas supplier? Mine is just sitting there most of the time too. I haven't used it for a year now, I only remembered I still had it when boc invoiced me haha.

cropwell
08-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Just look up Hobbyweld on t'interweb. You can see the range and prices and find your local agent.

Cheers,
Rob

sambo2
08-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Cheers Rob. I thought Hobbyweld was the make of your welder, must me half asleep today!

needleworks
09-07-2016, 06:52 PM
This is one of the guys I follow on youtube, he does some fairly "in depth" reviews on RTech welders here for anyone that`s considering buying a welder.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doubleboost/search?query=rtech