PDA

View Full Version : solidoworks tapped thread depth and blind hole depth

reefy86
09-11-2015, 03:49 PM
whats the difference between blind hole depth and tapped thread depth? i have 2 plates that i want to bolt together which are 20mm thick so im using m10 cap screws and in solidworks im using the hole wizard and im using the straight tapped option. how do i work out this?

cheers

Ash

routercnc
10-11-2015, 08:04 AM
In my CAD programme (not solidworks) the blind hole is used to set the depth of the pilot hole, then the thread depth is usually set less than that so I don't need to tap right to the bottom. Basically the hole is over drilled in depth e.g hole is 15mm, thread to 10mm.

Also I have to do the counterbore and clearance hole in the top plate as a separate CAD operation to the threaded hole in the other plate. Are you trying to do all holes in one go in CAD? Not sure how solidworks offers this in the hole wizard but it could only apply to each part in turn, so 2 separate operations ?

JAZZCNC
10-11-2015, 04:14 PM
whats the difference between blind hole depth and tapped thread depth?

Total depth of Blind hole is deeper than Tapped depth because of the Point of the drill. So the Tapped Depth is the Total hole Depth (-) Point height.