PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi from Leamington Spa

Norcaid
22-06-2009, 03:30 PM
My project is to do a CNC conversion on an old Ultra desktop jig borer I happen to have. I'm a designer by trade, so the plan is to be able to generate machine driving instructions via my 3D CAD models, to produce prototypes.
Anybody out there with experience of these machines? (Also badged as BCA or Excel).
Any advice on the conversion kit gratefully received. From what I understand so far, stepper motors seem to be recommended for small machines, but the lack of feedback control seems a downside?
To get rid of backlash, I guess ballscrews are the answer, but adapting the slideways to take them doesn't look as though it's going to be easy......is 16mm the smallest size?
In any event, I will endeavour to post progress as it happens!

ptjw7uk
22-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Ballscrews are available down to 8mm (smallest I've seen) all at a price.
The most reasonable is the 12mm.
Only problem is fitting the ballnut in as that is usually the largest bit.

Peter

Gary
22-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Ball screws are available in smaller than 16mm, but normally are more expensive and not generally stocked.
An off the shelf ball screw /Nut will generally give you a max of 0.05mm of backlash, but you can have the ball nut pre loaded to reduce the backlash.

My project is to do a CNC conversion on an old Ultra desktop jig borer I happen to have. I'm a designer by trade, so the plan is to be able to generate machine driving instructions via my 3D CAD models, to produce prototypes.
Anybody out there with experience of these machines? (Also badged as BCA or Excel).
Any advice on the conversion kit gratefully received. From what I understand so far, stepper motors seem to be recommended for small machines, but the lack of feedback control seems a downside?
To get rid of backlash, I guess ballscrews are the answer, but adapting the slideways to take them doesn't look as though it's going to be easy......is 16mm the smallest size?
In any event, I will endeavour to post progress as it happens!