PDA

View Full Version : I am wondering if a PC that has CAM software could safely be connected to the net.

suesi34e
19-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys,

I don't get a lot of time to spend on my CAD/CAM PC. So I was thinking would the more experienced on here trust having a CAM software on a PC connected to the net. My concern is could I be producing thousands of lines of code only to find it is corrupted some how, off I go with it on a dongle to the offline PC with Mach3 on it only to find the machine throws a wobbler due to something that was created on machine that was on the net. I guess I would be risking getting burnt.

Many thanks to anyone who knows and can put me right.

Steve

needleworks
20-12-2015, 12:59 AM
My workshop pc is constantly connected to the net, and "touch wood" over the last couple of years I`ve had no problems at all.

suesi34e
20-12-2015, 01:11 AM
My workshop pc is constantly connected to the net, and "touch wood" over the last couple of years I`ve had no problems at all.

Hi, that is interesting and many thanks for letting me know.
Have a good Christmas now
Steve

Doddy
20-12-2015, 02:24 AM
My Shed-PC has been connected via WiFi to the home network, and thus the Internet for any amount of time. My problems lie more in expecting the machine to do more than what it's intended for, than any influence from the net.

Of course, you need to be vigilant with what software you install.

magicniner
20-12-2015, 06:33 PM
I've been running CAD/CAM on a connected PC for several years without a hitch, I back up all my configuration and data to network attached storage and have a spare, hardware identical PC waiting in the wings in case of failure,

- Nick

JAZZCNC
20-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Based on the fact I know steve is running Mach3 then If your running an external motion control card you'll be much safer than running parallel port driven machine.
PP based can't afford for any interupts from the system and Internet can be problem, esp if machine is low spec or tuned on the high side so PP is working hard.

In all cases it's a little like playing russian roulet you never know when you'll get the bullet.!! . . . Often machien will give blip and the mistakenly gets blamed on something else when it's the Tinternet that did it in the background.!!

My suggestion is to turn off the Wifi while cutting and then turn back on if you need to make changes to Cam.

needleworks
20-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Based on the fact I know steve is running Mach3 then If your running an external motion control card you'll be much safer than running parallel port driven machine.
PP based can't afford for any interupts from the system and Internet can be problem, esp if machine is low spec or tuned on the high side so PP is working hard.

In all cases it's a little like playing russian roulet you never know when you'll get the bullet.!! . . . Often machien will give blip and the mistakenly gets blamed on something else when it's the Tinternet that did it in the background.!!

My suggestion is to turn off the Wifi while cutting and then turn back on if you need to make changes to Cam.
Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned that my mill uses a motion controller, I don`t think I`d be so confident using my lathe which runs of a PP:subdued:

magicniner
23-12-2015, 12:16 AM
My concern is could I be producing thousands of lines of code only to find it is corrupted some how, off I go with it on a dongle to the offline PC with Mach3 on it......

With a separate offline controller PC I don't see you'll have a problem, most current CAD/CAM software is written with the assumption that you have an active internet connection,

- Nick

JAZZCNC
23-12-2015, 12:27 AM
With a separate offline controller PC I don't see you'll have a problem, most current CAD/CAM software is written with the assumption that you have an active internet connection,

- Nick

That's what he's asking Nick. What affect would a ON line PC have if used for the controlling machine.!
This way he can change code on the fly at the machine if needed rather than going from Offline controller PC back to his ON line PC in house.

magicniner
23-12-2015, 12:49 AM
That's what he's asking Nick. What affect would a ON line PC have if used for the controlling machine.!

No worries, it's this bit -

off I go with it on a dongle to the offline PC with Mach3 on it only to find the machine throws a wobbler.

Which threw me as it appears to refer to transferring code from an on-line CAM machine to an off-line Mach3 machine and finding a problem with the code generated ??

- Nick

suesi34e
23-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Hello Doddy, thank you for your reply to my post.
Happy machining and have a good Charistmas
Thanks
Steve

suesi34e
23-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Hello Jazz,
Thank you for the help here. I could have explained things better in my post. My concern was if I had CAM software on PC (A) a PC that is on the net and produced G-code on that machine, then going to PC (B) a machine that is permantly off line could I be going wrong via perhaps having the G-code damaged whilst being created on machine A. I wish I had a external motion control but it is the old PP I have at the minute. Montion control for my next machine for sure.

I don't know if anyone has had an issue but messages on here have stoped coming through via email.

Have a good Christmas and thanks very much

Steve