PDA

View Full Version : roller blind style covers

tumutbound
26-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm looking for ideas on building a roller blind style machine covers for my Sieg X2 mill (Something like this (http://www.gortite.com/covers/light/shade.html))
While there are a number of commercial ones available, I'd end up paying more than I did for my mill!
I've found a few DIY builds of bellows style covers but nothing for roller types.

Any pointers/suggestions?

tumutbound
26-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I must admit I didn't look for what's available locally in a bellows/curtain style cover.

It seemed to me that a roller blind style would not be too difficult to build, the problem would be in choosing the right material to use for the blind itself. Having a closer look at the commercials ones, even the smallest are too big for the X2.

irving2008
26-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I dont see why it would be that complex. All it would need is a tube of the right width, slotted along the length to grip the cover (or some other fixing arrangement), and two inserts for the ends of the tube to provide stub axles and a locator for the return spring which could either be a clock spring arrangement, or a cord and linear spring arrangement. Indeed if there were two blinds, each side of the slide the cord arrangement is prefered as the cord for each blind would be connected via a tensioning spring so one winds in as the other winds out.

Finding suitable cover material might be trickier.