PDA

View Full Version : RockCliff Linear Hardware

geoff.sim
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Based on what is on offer from Marchant Dice, I have to decide which route (pun) to take.

1. Simple kit for around £80. However, where would I source a 3/4" (19mm) bit to route out the channels for the rods/bearings? I have only seen one and that cost about £22. Also, 6mm screws seem a bit weedy. Perhaps 8mm would be a better choice?

2. Kit with pillow blocks at around £150. At least I would not have to buy a 3/4" router bit and have to get the channels parallel ;-)

3. Full kit with screws. At just over £250 it is probably out of my budget... However, would it make the build that much easier?

To be honest, the £250 route seems the best.
Also, using #2 or #3 above would allow me to reuse the components for a decent moving gantry router later...

---
To date, I have spend around £170 on steppers/controllers/PSU & 700w spindle.

geoff.sim
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
After much deliberation, I have decided to have a go at the gantry design (drawing set D) as I can see a lot of possibilities here - and it looks easier to build !

Robin Hewitt
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Sounds like you're making a CNC router with ball bushings? Are you using monster linear shaft or splashing out on the pre-drilled? Have you considered cheap steel bars with ball races running up agin them and all bolted to a bit of box section? It isn't quite so off the shelf but it's certainly strong enough.

How big is it and how are you going to drive the gantry/head? Screws? racks?

Good luck anyhow :D

Lee Roberts
14-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I'v also talked a little about the kits on your other post Geoff.

geoff.sim
19-10-2007, 09:07 AM
My plan is to build a machine with a work area of 300mm x 600mm x 100mm.
I will start a build log this weekend.

I have cut and routed most all of the wood required and am reasonably pleased with the results.

However, my first fau pas is to buy 12mm rod from Marchant Dice instead of 1/2", so the rails are not a good fit in the 1/2" grooves! I didn't realise that MD can supply imperial sizes too!

Geoff.

Lee Roberts
05-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Yea thats what i went with the 12mm rod from MD, nice choice till we find our feet then we can go for the big boys toys and spend yet more money ! lol

Let me know if you have already got your gear from MD yet as i do have a contact in london who can do the bearings for about £13 and there twice the size MD sells.

CM