PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium profile cnc build

valdis034
11-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Hello everyone. I am here completely new, but thinking of building a cnc for a while. I had built small router from mdf sheet and drawer slides, so now i want to go for more accuracy.. :)

My aim is to build a machine with this working area: x1500 y1000 and z20 or 30. Not really sure about the Z. As I am now in a early designing stage all the advices are really apreciated. Main frame is going to be from 80/40 and 40/40 aluminium profiles. It will be used for wood cutting, plastic, mdf sheets and similar materials. Thinking about chinese 1605 ballscrews which I see are quite widely used, rails and blocks will be 15mm hiwin. Spindle is going to be water cooled 1.5kW or 2.2kW . Steppers nema 23.

My big question for now is from which width should be used two ballscrews on the longest axis instead of one ballscrew in the middle? I am worried about it can start to wiggle a bit, which off course will affect accuracy. All the sizes of ballscrews, rails steppers and spindle are still considered, it is not my final decision. I found on internet a cnc with the same structure as I am thinking to build, so now you have rough vision what I am speaking about :) Thank you very much!!

njhussey
12-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

for the size of machine you're looking to build then twin ballscrews are a must, at 1000mm wide cutting (at least 1300mm wide gantry) you'll get racking when cutting off centre with just one central ballscrew. For a 1500mm cutting area you'll need to look at the size of ballscrew you need to use as at this length you're right on the edge of ballscrew whip when cutting fast with 1610 ballscrews (what most people use as they give you the speed you need for plastics and wood) so will probably need to go up to 2010 (20mm diameter) ballscrews which will most probably need Nema34 steppers to overcome the inertia of the ballscrew.

Have a look through the build logs in this section of the forum and inwardly digest all the information that's there, knock up a design and we'll all comment on it and help you :eagerness:

valdis034
13-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the answer. What could be better to drive those two ballscrews with seperate motors, or put one motor in the middle and drive both screws with a belt? and if we run each screw with separate motor so this means we need adittional driver, or it will be enough one driver which has enough power to handle the current of both motors?

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G900F Tapatalk 4 Lt

Clive S
13-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the answer. What could be better to drive those two ballscrews with seperate motors, or put one motor in the middle and drive both screws with a belt? and if we run each screw with separate motor so this means we need adittional driver, or it will be enough one driver which has enough power to handle the current of both motors?

Well that debate has been going on for a long time and both ways have there pro's & con's. If using one motor it normally needs to be bigger and generally a higher voltage on the drive. But you only need one homing switch on one side.

Using two motors you will need two drives and two homing switches to make sure the gantry is square and good drives with stall detect in case one motor stalls and tries to rack the gantry.

It is not a good idea to use one drive with two motors.

Both systems if correctly done work fine.

routercnc
13-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

My experience is 600mm is the maximum width for single central ballscrew. Even then you have to be mindful of hard cuts at the ends of the travel, but in general it's fine. Above that it is double ballscrew all the way (or drive from each side anyway).

As Clive mentions single or double motors will work. Draw it out and take your pick. I like double motors as then you can buy lots of the same motor spec and driver and use them on every axis. Not a strong reason, but can make things simpler.

Something to point out is that in post #1 the last picture (5-8.jpg) shows a better machine in the top corner with double ballscrew drive. This will cut wood and plastic well, but you can go a step further than this and remove the gantry sides (weak point) and raise the X axis rails up to meet the gantry cross beam. Use a series of legs to support the raised X axis connected back down to the bed and for not much extra effort you will have a much better machine.

Good luck with the project . . .

valdis034
03-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Hi again. After a I while now i am going to put my free time into designing as much as possible. For now i have just several main extrusions with rails and blocks on them. Now want to start to count what exact lenght I need of extrusions, where to place rails and ballscrews, which is quite confusing to start with. I am considering if it is worth to buy custom made rails and ballscrews lenght to my exact dimensions, or it is cheaper to have a bit smaller work area than I wrote in my first post and to go with standard lenght which is 1500mm and 1000mm? I mean how expensive it can be to have those lenghts of rails and ballscrews at those dimensions, which could let me have exact 1500x1000 work area.

Here is the picture how it looks at the moment.

All the corners i am going to join with 90 degree L shape brackets. Do i Need the legs? If yes, then probably it would be nice idea to have a pair of legs in the middle yes?
Thanks a lot! :)

valdis034
08-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Lots of views no comments, ok probably i need to bring my design without initial questions. Thats what i will do :)

njhussey
08-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi, sorry didn't see this thread pop up again! You'll definitely need legs in the middle and you'll need cross bracing. Depending on what your bed is going to be made of you'll probably need more cross bed supports...

JAZZCNC
08-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Yes Sorry I didn't see this thread at all.!!

The machine design you are thinking to build is very similair to routers I build. I can tell you without doubt that you will need stronger than 80x45 to give the cutting area want at this length. 120 x 80 is what i'd use or at minimum 80 x 80.
With correct profile you won't need middle leg and infact you can't have middle legs with this design because of the cross brace between gantry.

The base will need at least one more support. Cross bracing isn't strictly required because the bed base forms part of the structure but it wouldn't hurt having some just to hold resonably square.

valdis034
08-02-2016, 06:37 PM
I am not so used to this machine terminology, but cross bracing in my case are these aluminium extrusions which are joining longest (x) axis, yes?
And if i understand right i cant have middle legs because that cross brace between gantry, but that aplies only for single ballscrew on x axis. I am going to have two ballscrews on x axis driven with belts by separate motors.
The bed probably i will have several 40×40 extrusions attached to the main frame, and on those extrusions i think should be good to have sacrificial plywood or mdf.

Does that sound good?

And sorry for my terminology, i promise i will get used to that! :)

JAZZCNC
08-02-2016, 08:19 PM
I am not so used to this machine terminology, but cross bracing in my case are these aluminium extrusions which are joining longest (x) axis, yes?
And if i understand right i cant have middle legs because that cross brace between gantry, but that aplies only for single ballscrew on x axis. I am going to have two ballscrews on x axis driven with belts by separate motors.

YES. But 2 screws will mean having them on the outside where they are unprotected from Debris. The Cross brace allows you to keep them under the table out the way.

The bed probably i will have several 40×40 extrusions attached to the main frame, and on those extrusions i think should be good to have sacrificial plywood or mdf.

Does that sound good?

No 40 x 40 isn't strong enough really you want 80 x 40 for the bed supports. Or at least two with 40 x40 filling the in betweens.

valdis034
10-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Yes, so today i changed a profile size, and added extrusions as cross braces and as a bed, on which should go plywood, and added adjustable legs. Not sure how it is better to do with middle legs, if i want keep ballscrews under the bed, it means i cant have them in the middle. On the other hand seen a lot designs with screws on the sides, what is better?
About taking screens in solidworks, i take them view>screen capture>image capture and then paste into paint and the quality of pictures when i upload them here doesnt seem as good as seen in other threads, thats the way it should be done or there are some other ways ? Cheers! :)1757317574

JAZZCNC
10-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Much much better. Could drop one 40x40 from each section if wanted. Less drilling and material for not much loss of support.
The main difference with screws under bed is they are obviously more protected from debris. This may seem a little detail but in practise it does make big difference to life span of screws and to some smaller degree performance because they don't get clogged with debris.

valdis034
11-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Thank you for you replies! :) Now i need to position rails and ballscrews on x (longest) axis. To do that i think is good to start from side plates then i see where to put rails and screws. Aswell thinking about thicknes of the plate, 20mm would be enough?

I am going to use wide bocks. Wondering what distance should be between them. The lenght of block is 61.4mm if i add 27.2mm between them it will be 150mm. So if am using 1500mm rails the usable travel distance will be 1350mm. Maybe i need bigger gap between the blocks or maybe even smaller? 17579

Here are my corners, should be allright? 17580
I could use anchors, like these 17581 or even combination of 90 degree angle and anchors under them? Lots of thoughts how to start everything and put together, so sorry if all those questions sound silly :)

njhussey
11-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Most on here use a distance of about 200mm for the carriages, not sure if there is any scientific reasoning but 200mm seems a good compromise between compactness and giving a sound footing for the gantry.

The other thing you need to bear in mind is not having your spindle dangling too far in front of the front bearing, keep it as close to the gantry as possible. In an ideal world you'd have it between the bearings but then you'd lose cutting area as the gantry would be wide....

valdis034
23-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Hello again. Now I am on Z axis design and I am thinking for which pulleys to go. As I found in a lot of threads that htd pulleys of 15mm wide and 5mm pitch are the most common, how many teeth should be? On RM1610 ballscrews it will be mounted with grub screws yes? Thinking how to mount the motor for z axis, we want z axis plates as short as possible. Yes? Here is what i have for the moment..
I am going for a bit smaller size than said in the beggining. Now I am using 1400mm length rail (x axis) and get 1190mm of travel from it leaving 5mm each end unused, in Y axis using 1150mm lenght rail and get 940mm of travel, the same using 5mm each end. Should I leave more in the ends?

All the plates seen in screenshots are 20mm thickness except motor mounting brackets and y axis ballnut housing attachment to z axis.

Thank you for any input! :beer:

valdis034
19-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Hello again after a while. Had some interruptions, broken computer, but i am back again with in my opinion more or less final design. Mainly i am going to use it for woodworking, and hopefuly i will be able to machine aluminium at low speed. 2.2kW water cooled spindle should be capable doing that?

Lets start from main dimensions.

X(longer) axis. 1400mm lenght Hiwin 20mm rails with HGW20CC carriages. 200mm between carriages ends. It gives 1190mm of travel leaving unused 5mm of rail each end.

Y(shorter) axis. 1170mm lenght Hiwin 20mm rails with HGW20CC carriages. 200mm between cariages ends. It gives 970mm of travel leaving unused 5mm of rail each end.

Z axis. 330mm lenght Hiwin 20mm rails with HGH20CA carriages. 178mm between carriages ends. It gives 133mm of travel leaving unused 9mm rail each end.

The frame, legs, and gantry is from 80x80 extrusion. Frame cross bracing is 40x80 extrusion.

All the plates are 20mm thickness except Y axis ballnut housing connection plate (which is 10mm thickness) with Y and Z axis assembly.

For bed i iam going to use 20mm plywood sheet.

Have 4 adjustable feets in all corners. Do i need in the middle aswell?

All extrussions will be clamped with 50x50x3 steel brackets:

I am using 1610 ballscrews for X and Y axis, and 1605 for Z axis. Pulleys on all screws are htd 15mm wide 5mm pitch. Have 20mm slots for belt tensioning, and for ability to go for different gear ratios. I see that these pulleys are most comonly used. Are they the best option for me?

The question if it is enough of shaft inside the pulleys? With standard ballscrew end machining it doesnt go trough all the pulleys bore. I left 1mm gap between pulley and BK block. The same with motor, 1mm gap pulley and motors bracket.

Here it is at its max position in X axis:

And about Z axis. I have sandwitched ballscrew and mounting blocks between the plates so I have 9mm cutout in the front plate.

Z axis motor is angled because with sraight slots motor spacer was in belts way. So now the belt is going right between the spacers.

Another question is what spindles positioning is the best? Here Z axis is all the way up:

And all the way down:

Whats still left to do:

1. To decide which exact litmit sensors to use so i can desing them into the assembly.
2. To route energy chains routes, to have a trunking for them.
3. To design rail dust guards.

Before ordering all the mechanical parts would like to get some comments from all you. Maybe there are some weak points, or something. There is always something can be done better, so others can see it better.

I Dont have any parts bought yet, except i have high indtuctance stepper motor from my previous build and tb6550 drivers with BOB which i am not sure if to use them.

Thanks!

Clive S
19-07-2016, 10:34 PM
I Dont have any parts bought yet, except i have high indtuctance stepper motor from my previous build and tb6550 drivers with BOB which i am not sure if to use them.
You would cripple the machine if you used them. Have a look for AM882 drives and nema 23 motors from Zapp or CNC4you.

Re the screws you will probably requite the F dimension to be about 30mm it doesn't cost much more to do it right.

valdis034
20-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I changed ballscrews shaft to 30mm in it is sticking out a bit. And I saw quite a lot people are making it from 15mm to 30mm. It is not a standard? They can do any dimension i like or not?
And how about motor shaft? I could cut out a bit depper in the bracket but it will start to loose its strenght, isnt it? At the moment i am using 10mm plate and motor is 5mm in it. Do i need to go deeper?

How deep it is:

Clive S
20-07-2016, 11:12 PM
I changed ballscrews shaft to 30mm in it is sticking out a bit. And I saw quite a lot people are making it from 15mm to 30mm. It is not a standard? They can do any dimension i like or not?
And how about motor shaft? I could cut out a bit depper in the bracket but it will start to loose its strenght, isnt it? At the moment i am using 10mm plate and motor is 5mm in it. Do i need to go deeper?

How deep it is:

18910The conventional way is like this 18911so the the motor will stick through. The motor shafts are normally OK. 2-3mm is OK

valdis034
21-07-2016, 10:30 PM
I opened the bracket the same like you showed me, but i still have 8mm left. I checked motors dimensions and pulleys dimensions all seems ok. Where that difference could come from? Maybe you are using different pulley?

Clive S
21-07-2016, 10:52 PM
I opened the bracket the same like you showed me, but i still have 8mm left. I checked motors dimensions and pulleys dimensions all seems ok. Where that difference could come from? Maybe you are using different pulley?

The shaft on a nema 23 from Cnc4you is about 22.5mm long.

valdis034
21-07-2016, 11:06 PM
The one in my drawing is 20.6 mm and it is exactly the same like in any drawing you could find on internet with nema 23 dimdnsions. Double standard?

Clive S
21-07-2016, 11:08 PM
The one in my drawing is 20.6 mm and it is exactly the same like in any drawing you could find on internet with nema 23 dimdnsions. Double standard?

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G900F Tapatalk 4 LtIs your measurement just to the end of the key in the shaft?

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepper%20Motor%20Nema%2023%2060BYGH301B%203.1Nm.p df

routercnc
22-07-2016, 06:43 AM
My motor shafts don't go all the way through the pulley and have been running fine for years.

If it is more than half way into the pulley and the grub screws have a good lock onto the shaft I don't see any major problems.

njhussey
22-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Just looked at my Z axis and it looks a little like this.....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/4ee73d2a56d52fd77fa14d717ca50bda.jpg

Shaft is 3/4 the way in the pulley and held on with 2 off M3 grub screws @ 90° to each other...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/10395e153f23d9dc586eb5bf67805a6d.jpg

Plate thickness is 3mm so 17mm pocket machined out the plate.

valdis034
22-07-2016, 12:30 PM
So do we actually need that thickness of a plate if anyway we are machining almost all the through the thickness?

njhussey
22-07-2016, 01:06 PM
It has to have some inherent stiffness to stop any bending forces from the belt, I had it 20mm thick as it came out the same sheet as the rest and I needed the thickness to put the M8 bolts into....

valdis034
22-07-2016, 01:09 PM
So in my case i have it 10mm and attaching it to the other plate with M6 screws. Is that allright?

valdis034
25-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Is there any chance that somehow i have blocked my posts, so others cant see it? The same with massages? Or people just doesnt respond as much as i would like? :D

Clive S
25-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Is there any chance that somehow i have blocked my posts, so others cant see it? The same with massages? Or people just doesnt respond as much as i would like? :D

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G900F Tapatalk 4 LtNo your posts are fine and not blocked. But it is not easy to answer a question without more details of what you are trying to achieve.

valdis034
25-07-2016, 11:24 AM
In which point you would need more details? Just let me know. I tried to give screenshots of every important point, but if there is something you would like to see i can put them in here.

How about the whole frame structure, z axis and things like that?

Clive S
25-07-2016, 01:02 PM
In which point you would need more details? Just let me know. I tried to give screenshots of every important point, but if there is something you would like to see i can put them in here.

How about the whole frame structure, z axis and things like that?

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G900F Tapatalk 4 LtDo I detect sarcasm ?

So in my case i have it 10mm and attaching it to the other plate with M6 screws. Is that allright? What is the other plate.?

Is your measurement just to the end of the key in the shaft?

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...1B%203.1Nm.pdf (http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepper%20Motor%20Nema%2023%2060BYGH301B%203.1Nm.p df)
You don't give feedback

valdis034
25-07-2016, 01:15 PM
No. No sarcasm at all i cant understand why you spoted it in there. It is all good! :)

My "other" plate is the one on which is going motors mounting plate and both of them are making 90 degree angle. And whole this assemble is mounted onto the leg.

About the shafts in my model they are the round ones whitout key. So i will go for the key shaft for longer shaft and better grip for grub screws.

JAZZCNC
25-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Valdis in Reply to your PM then can't see any major issues with the design. Couple of small suggestions but other than these nothing seriously wrong.

#1 I would brace the connection between bearing plate and gantry side.

#2 Would bring the rails on the Gantry to front slot to lessen the lever affect.

njhussey
25-07-2016, 01:51 PM

I, for one, haven't replied because I've been away since my last post and then spent all weekend stripping out an old caravan back to bare walls I've recently bought plus welding up the frame to get my CNC router upright at last :D

valdis034
25-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Valdis in Reply to your PM then can't see any major issues with the design. Couple of small suggestions but other than these nothing seriously wrong.

#1 I would brace the connection between bearing plate and gantry side.

#2 Would bring the rails on the Gantry to front slot to lessen the lever affect.

#1 If I move rails to the front slot i will have bigger gap between gantry and Z axis back plate (at the moment it is 3mm) if I am using wide carriages. Maybe i could use the narrow ones the same like on Z axis?

#2 How i could brace that connection? I have some of these so i could use them.
They are 40x40 and 6mm thickness.

OR this version?

JAZZCNC
25-07-2016, 10:40 PM
#1 If I move rails to the front slot i will have bigger gap between gantry and Z axis back plate (at the moment it is 3mm) if I am using wide carriages. Maybe i could use the narrow ones the same like on Z axis?

I was going from your pics which looked like wide gap between z rear plate and gantry profile. Without seeing better view then can't comment further.

#2 How i could brace that connection? I have some of these so i could use them.
They are 40x40 and 6mm thickness.

No wouldn't use those and would go with something like your second option.

valdis034
25-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Here it is. Between narrow carriage and gantry profile side is only 2mm gap, and the same dimension for wide one is 11.5mm. So the question is if I benefit a lot from wide carriages?

valdis034
03-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Some small update from me :)
During last days as i been advised moved Y axis rails to the front slot, then made a bit smaller plate on which going Z axis motor so saved some unnecesary weight. Now trying to find out the cable routes..

For the cables and water pipes on the gantry I done a channel from 1mm sheet metal just to see how it looks. Not sure if it will be strong enough to hold the chain.. Any suggestions on that?

Started to look for the companies which does aluminuum extrusions, got some quotes. The best price for all the extrusions seen in my model was £340, which is bit more than i expected, but i guess thats the price for them. Does anyone knows a good supplier for them where i could get for the best price? Thanks guys.

valdis034
17-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Hi. Here is what Fred wrot to me: Please attention the BK12 support we quota to you are in cheaper type with normal Deep groove ball bearing,if you prefer better quality BK12,we have P5 grade with Angular contact bearing type,seems many customers from UK are like this superior type,if change to P5 AC bearing type,the amount will be increase USD58.00 for the 4set.

Which one you would take? I seen somewhere talking about them cant find now.

Got quotes from aluminium warehouse for my aluminium plates, is it about right?

10mm plate

80 x 67 2pcs 6082 £4.10 ea tooling £5.46 ea
80 x 80 4pcs 6082 £6.58 ea tooling £8.75 ea
80 x 40 1pc 6082 £2.85 ea tooling £3.75 ea
114 x 120 1pc 6082 £10.76 ea tooling £14.32 ea
87 x 87 4pcs 6082 £6.58 ea tooling £8.75 ea
45 x 60 1pc 6082 £2.40 ea tooling £3.20 ea
50 x 60 1pc 6082 £2.00 ea tooling £4.20 ea

20mm plate

200 x 67 2pc 6082 £26.30 ea tooling £35.00 ea
200 x 50 1pc 6082 £16.40 ea tooling £21.81 ea

25mm plate

45 x 60 2pcs 6082 £6.00 ea tooling £7.98 ea
50 x 60 2pcs 6082 £6.58 ea tooling £8.75 ea
Cariage £22.30

JAZZCNC
17-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Yes go with the P5 AC bearings they are far superior and worth the extra cost.

toenee12345
18-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Hi valdis34, can I ask you a couple of questions on the material suppliers?

Where are you getting your aluminium slotted profile from?

It says 'tooling' on the quote for plates, are they machining them to your drawings ie holes faces etc ?

Many thanks
Tony....

valdis034
18-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Hi. There are quite a lot of companies here in UK which are doing extrusions. Did not buy them yet, but probably it will be company called Alprofil.

No, i will get all those pieces from the quote only cut to size, and will drill them myself. Aswell I will need some plates to be machined.

njhussey
18-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Those Aluminium prices seem high, but I guess I'm used to prices from my local supplier Taybroh Alloys in Eastington, Gloucestershire...might be worth giving them a ring to see if they will send to you?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

valdis034
18-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Yeah anything thats helps to reduce the price.. Found local machinist guy, so he will give me a quote for them in a next few days. Want to finally actualy start building it!

valdis034
20-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Did someone bought linear parts from aliexpres sellers the jason august store, huijuan mei or transmission cnc? They are quoting a bit cheper..

mekanik
20-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Valdis
You must have got the same email as i did this morning, @ least the seller is quoting genuine Hiwin. A lot of the sellers will show Hiwin in there add but if you check the description it says picture is just for general information and the supplied item will prevail so chances are they won't be Hiwin.
Regards
Mike

valdis034
31-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Which spindle bracket is better? Thinking if they will have the same strenght?

This one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dia-80mm-Spindle-Motor-Mount-Bracket-Clamp-2-Screws-For-CNC-Engraving-Machine/361688576801?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38661%26meid%3D56c921b95edc42d3b1a26f43372a 2e91%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D3222 25414288

or this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80mm-Diameter-CNC-Spindle-Motor-Holder-Mount-Bracket-Clamp-3-Pcs-8mm-screws/322063894075?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38661%26meid%3Deb20706e3ad14fb599cfef387f14 d430%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D3222 25414288

Davek0974
31-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Should be the same I think.

Lee Roberts
01-11-2016, 12:03 AM

This one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dia-80mm-Spindle-Motor-Mount-Bracket-Clamp-2-Screws-For-CNC-Engraving-Machine/361688576801?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38661%26meid%3D56c921b95edc42d3b1a26f43372a 2e91%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D3222 25414288

or this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80mm-Diameter-CNC-Spindle-Motor-Holder-Mount-Bracket-Clamp-3-Pcs-8mm-screws/322063894075?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38661%26meid%3Deb20706e3ad14fb599cfef387f14 d430%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D3222 25414288
The second link/item is the one to go for.

A_Camera
01-11-2016, 12:37 PM

This one:

or this one

Definitely the second one, but beware, even that can crack.

http://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/2016/09/cnc-upgrade-progress-disaster-strikes.html

(http://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/2016/09/cnc-upgrade-progress-disaster-strikes.html)This is how I fixed it:

http://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/2016/09/cnc-upgrade-progress-fixing-cracked.html

Anyway, I bought a new one but have not installed it yet and I think the quality is the same. Cast aluminum, at least the way these cheap brackets are made, are not the best for this purpose.

njhussey
01-11-2016, 06:51 PM
I'd buy a SBR50UU and use the housing as it's 80mm and slit along one side to clamp the spindle....

valdis034
01-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys, placed an order for second option. We will see how it will hold.

Today got my spindle and was surprised to find 3pin plug for it. Isnt it supposed to be 4pins ( three phases and earth)?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161101/78da8b70b479cfe74737ebcd0f10bde5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161101/43faa7c00c0996b11ef5554a09fb8289.jpg
Another thing the locking nut has been drilled, is that they way they tried to balance it? Is it normal?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161101/cf0960cf2eea1e1f97392b2aea8f9f54.jpg

Davek0974
01-11-2016, 09:06 PM
exactly the same as mine.

yes the drill holes are their attempt at balancing the lock nut.

Mine only has three pins - i connected the earth ground to the shell of the plug and tested for connectivity to the body, the whole machine is earthed anyway and the motor has a metal body so should be safe enough.

valdis034
01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Off course with spindle got the inverter and have the electrical box, thinking that box might be a bit small for all the stuff..
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161101/2444398b3b322553ad38d04c649fdeb9.jpg

what size enclosures you have to fit everything?

Here will be 4 drivers, BOB, toroidal transformer, 24v supply, realays, filtered fan on the door or on the side of the box and some wires..

Davek0974
01-11-2016, 09:52 PM
going to be tight i think, i like a bit more room - makes setting up/debugging/repairs easier IMHO.

njhussey
01-11-2016, 10:22 PM
I've got a 600 x 600 panel and its tight enough without the vfd in there....

valdis034
01-11-2016, 10:26 PM
This one is only 600×380. So yes, need to look for something bigger.

Lee Roberts
01-11-2016, 10:57 PM
I always tell people to get a 6x9...some listen...some dont.

JAZZCNC
01-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Word of warning on the VFD that is not a Huanyang VFD it's copy. So don't try setting it up from any settings found on here because they will relate to huanyang which is completely different.

I have fitted one in the past and it worked fine without any troubles but I wouldn't and won't fit anymore because the huanyang are much better, which is saying lot because they are not exactly top quality however they just do the job.!

If can send it back then I would or at least complain and ask for some compensation which is what I did. They refunded me some money because all the pictures showed Huanyang VFD but I think they have changed the pictures now so maybe nothing can do.?

valdis034
01-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Word of warning on the VFD that is not a Huanyang VFD it's copy. So don't try setting it up from any settings found on here because they will relate to huanyang which is completely different.

I have fitted one in the past and it worked fine without any troubles but I wouldn't and won't fit anymore because the huanyang are much better, which is saying lot because they are not exactly top quality however they just do the job.!

If can send it back then I would or at least complain and ask for some compensation which is what I did. They refunded me some money because all the pictures showed Huanyang VFD but I think they have changed the pictures now so maybe nothing can do.?
The thing is that it doesnt say that it is huanyang in the advert, so i dont know if i can say it now for the seller. The only difference i see is the colour of the warning sticker, to which i did not pay attention at all if that is the sign of huanyang.. Here is the one i bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191914498581

JAZZCNC
02-11-2016, 12:32 AM
The only difference i see is the colour of the warning sticker, to which i did not pay attention at all if that is the sign of huanyang..

Yes the case is exactly the same but other than that it's nothing like Huanyang. Completely different setup and if you look all the I/O terminals are different.
If I remember correctly the Analog 0-10v isn't isolated from rest of I/O. Also No on board Relay and possibly only 12V output not 24V but could be wrong on this it's been good while now since fitted it. It also won't display RPM only Frequency and Current I believe.

But like I say it worked fine and believe it still is so wouldn't be too concerned. But I'm fitting huanyang Vfd's all the time and can tell you 100% it's not huanyang and didn't want you trying to set it up like Huanyang.!! . . . . Only the case looks like it the rest is nothing like huanyang.

Clive S
02-11-2016, 12:35 AM
The only difference i see is the colour of the warning stickerplus the legends on the front panel are all different. But don't worry about it, It will work fine just make sure as Dean has said to only using the parameters in the manual you should get with it.:02.47-tranquillity:

valdis034
07-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Can i expect from equal aluminium angle 90 degrees on the outside? I was so sure that is 90 degree, so even did not check it when was buying it today. Took it home decided to check the squareness it and it is less than 90 degress.. Tried to google it out, and here is what i found: "A 90-degree angle is certainly the most commonplace for aluminium angle stock, but there are products which have less than a 90-degree bend".
So maybe i was lucky to get that with smaller angle or it is common not to have proper 90 degrees angle? I saw someone was using those angles in this forum to bolt together the frame, wondering if there were some issues with that?

valdis034
22-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Hello. Its been a while after my last post, but things kept moving a bit. Since that got aluminium plates, simple ones drilled and and tapped myself , more crucial parts like gantry sides, z axis plates, motor mounts will be machined by our guru JAZZ.

Then built a bench for machine to sit on 20450 and started to lay the frame profiles 20451 after drilling holes for profile fixings i put them together and here is my base of the machine 2046020454

After that folowed rails, cariages, plates, ballscrews, pulleys

when i was assembling bearing blocks when i put together bk bearing i have a gap between lock nut and pulley which i did not see anywhere in peoples threads, and i am thinking maybe i assembled them wrong ? everything is tight and there no play20457

Other weird thing is that i could not put all six screws through balscrew nut into its housing, holes doesnt align poperly. Once i put one screw i could not put second one because it just doesnt catch the thread. I have only one ballnut which took all 6 screws with no problems. 2045820459 And i thought that is not a big deal i will just open the holes a bit more, but i couldnt do that because the metal is very very hard. Then i noticed that the "Good" ballnut has tapped hole in it. it must be oiling point, all other ballnuts doesnt have it. Any one had issues like that? I probably would need to contact Fred to see what he will say about it, I bought all components from him. Thats how it looks for today 20456 Thank you for your attention! :)

routercnc
23-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Looking very tidy well done!

Gap between lock nut and pulley:
That is not a problem. The lock nut is used to pre-load the angular contact bearings inside the bearing block by pulling the shoulder of the ballscrew against the bearing on the other side. If there is no axial play and they turn freely then all is well. The pulley is only held onto the shaft with one or 2 grub screws so it can go where ever you need it to align it to the belt. It doesn't need to butt up to the nut to function.

Ballnut/mount hole alignment problem
I've always made my own ballnut holders/plates, but for my current build I bought some of those C shaped ballnut blocks that you have in the picture. However, I've not looked to see if the holes are aligned. Next time I'm in the workshop I'll have a look. Also, all the ballnuts I've bought (various places including Fred) have oil holes so makes me wonder if the ones which don't fit (and don't have oil holes) have been "sourced" elsewhere and not been to the standard. Did Fred have a drawing of the ballnuts on Aliexpress? If you measure your part and it is not per the drawing it is worth saying so. Good luck with it - I've not had to return anything to him so I don't know how good his returns policy is . . .

valdis034
23-01-2017, 02:19 PM
I contacted him, now waiting for reply. We didnt have any drawings it was only been said that ballnuts are comming together with ballscrews. But yes they are diffrent the flat side of the "good" ballnut goes flush with housing or lets say are in thevsame plane, whereas others has a step between them. Hopefully he will be able to send me the balnuts and i will just swap them.

Davek0974
23-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Fred is decent, i have had a couple of bits missing and one BK block was sent as a BF instead - in all cases he fixed the error, the only issue was the time delay due to distances.

Clive S
23-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I contacted him, now waiting for reply. We didnt have any drawings it was only been said that ballnuts are comming together with ballscrews. But yes they are diffrent the flat side of the "good" ballnut goes flush with housing or lets say are in thevsame plane, whereas others has a step between them. Hopefully he will be able to send me the balnuts and i will just swap them.

Put some pics up showing exactly what is wrong ie. is it the ball nut or the ball nut mounting that is wrong. I doubt he will just send a ball nut without the screw

valdis034
23-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Yes i am on it with him. He responded and said that he will sort it out, which sounds good to me. Ill tell what solution we will come up with.

valdis034
23-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Put some pics up showing exactly what is wrong ie. is it the ball nut or the ball nut mounting that is wrong. I doubt he will just send a ball nut without the screw

Here are some pics. I think whole centre hole for ballscrew is off center, thats what causing missalignment.

mekanik
24-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Hi Valdis
Machines looking good.
If you have a couple of V blocks you could support the screw in the blocks and put a DTI on the diameter that inserts into the block rotate the nut and record the runout. no idea what the tolerance is for the positioning of the flats but it could be +/- 0.5mm from centre. Dean might be able to better advise, as he is working with this stuff all the time, but if you measure as directed you have better information to give to Fred.
Regards
Mike

valdis034
24-01-2017, 07:54 PM
So here it is. All I can say Fred is top man, he takes all responsobility for that. His prices are a bit higher, but his service is awesome. Here are his last emails:

"Hi Valdas,

Thanks for all your help.

So sorry for the inconvenient to you,it is my first time to aware the ballnut size may have error possibility.

You are correct,seems the whoel centre hole are out of the position,the ballnut are produced in bulk quantity,I guess there may have some other wrong size ballnut went into market :(

I sincerely apologize for the problem to you,generally I will test whether it is in smootly running and the backlash,not measure size in before time,could you please tell me which the length for which 3set ballscrew have problem?I guess maybe all for 1610 model?

As now we are in holiday time,and here it is my opinions,
1)If you can waiting and build your machine in the later of next month,
Then I will arrange new production for you once back to office around on Feb.10,and hope can delivery around on Feb.12,if everything going well then shold can arrival on Feb.20.

2)If you need start your project as soon as posssible,
Then can check what's the selling price in your local market for similar Chinese ballnut?I know it will much higher than we selling,but since it is our mistake,so we have to afford all the responsbility,in order not influence your schedule too much,if you can get the ballnut from local market,no matter how expensive will be for the similar Chinese ballnut,I will pay for it.

Another question,are you skilled to install new ballnut?guess you know,the ballnut can't remove or install directly if there is no some tube between the ballnut,that means there must have something(like tube) in the middle of the ballnut,to prevent the inside steel balls dropp,and if you buy ballnut from local market,it is not 100% sure can be use directly,may need adjust the backlash to suitable according change different size steel balls.

If you didn't install the ballnut and adjust the bachlash in before time,then we will send the new ball screw with ballnut together to you,or you can buy the completed set for ball screw and ballnut together.

You can do it in any convenient way for your project.

Sincerely apologize again.

Best wishes
Fred

[email protected]"

Another one:

"Hi Valdas,

Thanks for your kindly waiting,really sorry for delay your schedule,in order to aviad the the new ballnut not in correct backlash in your present ball screw,I think we'd better delivery the completed set to you,so I will arrange the ball screw with ballnut together for the new delivery.

Will arrange the production work once back to office."

So actually i will get another set of ballscrews the only downside of its the time.

And now about something different than screws and ballnuts. Maybe someone wants a Rital enclosure for free? Its 700 height 500 width and 200 depth. I has some holes allready cut but some of them can be used i think. It doesnt have a back plate. If anyone is interested just let me know if not it is going to skip, just trying to save it from such a destiny.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/4231efeb4d3ecb32f5f4d69c15dbfbab.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/ac795b191a5d89f4cd1dfffe2565eb33.jpg

njhussey
24-01-2017, 08:08 PM
I'd delete Fred's email pdq if I were you before the spambots harvest it....

valdis034
20-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Hello. Coming back with some updates from my build.

So the news shortly are that mechanically machine is done, and partially wired. Now it will be time for the electrical drawings, laying out components buying some of them, mounting everything into electrical boxes..
Some progress photos:
22625226262262722628226292263022631226322263322634 226352263622637226382263922640

At the moment I ended up with some cables which will need to go to two control cabinets. Two because one is not enough which I got initially, so I got another one the same size, so I am thinking to have mains voltage distribution, for pump, powers supply, and vfd in one box and all the electronics to have in another one. 2264122642

Now I will be doing a bit more reading about electrical side, try to draw some drawings. Have couple of questions for now
1. About x axis (long one ) home and limit sensors. As I am using one sensor for homing and limits I will have senor traveling with the gantry (one sensor on each side of the gantry) and it will see a bolt in the extrusion channel in each end of the machine. How will I make them bolts in each side to be in exactly the same position so gantry will be square when it reach the sensors?

2. As my vfd is a bit different I don't rellly get how to control it with external signal from mach? That Chinese manual is not very clearly written. Lets say I want to start spindle . Do I need to short RUN terminal with GND terminal or I need to use 5v or maybe 12v inputs and then to set it in parameters? Jazz said he used one of them before, might remember it. Heres the drawing:

3. Bought 13 liters tank for coolant I think should be ok? I had a tiny aquarium pump 1000l/h wich probably will not be powerful enough to lift the water all the way to the spindle, so might be looking for something bigger. I was thinking use car antifreeze and mix it with distilled water, so the system will be clean, and in the coldest times in the winter it will not freeze inside the spindle. What are your suggestions on that?

Thank you and I am sure I will get back wit more questions! :)

Clive S
21-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Now I will be doing a bit more reading about electrical side, try to draw some drawings. Have couple of questions for now
1. About x axis (long one ) home and limit sensors. As I am using one sensor for homing and limits I will have senor traveling with the gantry (one sensor on each side of the gantry) and it will see a bolt in the extrusion channel in each end of the machine. How will I make them bolts in each side to be in exactly the same position so gantry will be square when it reach the sensors?

You will need to be able to adjust one of the bolts when the machine is built so that you will be able to square the gantry by moving it one way or the other. In Mach3 you will set it up with homing and shared.

2. As my vfd is a bit different I don't rellly get how to control it with external signal from mach? That Chinese manual is not very clearly written. Lets say I want to start spindle . Do I need to short RUN terminal with GND terminal or I need to use 5v or maybe 12v inputs and then to set it in parameters?

Yes if you want a switch to start it. Or you can use a relay contact to closed it and then control it with the gcode with and M3 to start and M5 to stop. In this case you will have to change some parameters in the vfd. There is a list on the forum that Jonathan started a while ago for setting up an VFD.

3. Bought 13 liters tank for coolant I think should be ok? I had a tiny aquarium pump 1000l/h wich probably will not be powerful enough to lift the water all the way to the spindle, so might be looking for something bigger. I was thinking use car antifreeze and mix it with distilled water, so the system will be clean, and in the coldest times in the winter it will not freeze inside the spindle. What are your suggestions on that?

That's fine. 13 Ltrs is a bit over kill. If the pump can not do the head then just stick it on a shelf higher up.

valdis034
22-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Powered the vfd today and tried to start it not with panel button but linking the terminals, and it works everyting is ok. Was really surprised how silent the spindle is.

Now the question is how mach3 is controling the speed? In the manual is written that there are 7 methods to change the frequency. (Parameter 3)

Obviously from mach you can get 0v or 5v so how it will tell on what speed to run?

Another question. What is segmented speed? In manual it says you can have 7 segmented speeds. Is it that you need to enter into the segmented speed parameter the frequency you want starting from smaller one and with each segment increasing it, and then mach sends 5v pulses to adjust speed accordingly or i am wrong in here? How does that work?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/994a54ef51214dd3a990121ca6376a81.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/f9709c1ef6253ef8cbb131a98bb2b9c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RobC
22-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Wow! That is some build, it really is something to see and I tell you It's beautiful.

valdis034
18-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Good evening guys. Some update from me :)

Finished my power supply for steppers, getting about 73,5V. Transformers is 625VA. Couple weeks ago ordered 4 ×AM882, so waiting for them..

The only thing i am not sure about is that i would like to use IP-M motion controller, but the thing is that i want to home x axis with two sensors. I think i read somewhere that is still possible to do that, but cant find that info. If its not possible than probably IP-M is not for me.. any info highly apreciated :)

Cheershttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/fd3fabf3197ea13b297362c7e171bf3a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/3490c93bf3406379013c3148609d6106.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/51d487163d247c53b8287e9c0f762882.jpg

Davek0974
19-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Nice PSU, have you got a bleeder resistor across those capacitors? It won't matter when fitted in the machine so much but when wiring and testing it could save a nasty spark etc.

valdis034
19-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Yes Davek i have it :)

piotrekvip
03-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Hi, I really like your cnc project. Is it possible to share a mechanical design? I need to change the engine mounting a little.

Andrewg
04-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Agreed, this was a great build thread with nice photos showing a very high quality build and lots of useful support from the regulars....then nothing.

Valis, see you still occasionally visit this forum. It would be great to get an update and share any lessons you have.

valdis034
21-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Hello after a bit! :) Router has been working great, learned a lot of things, broken few router bit and so on and so on, learning curve. Machine itself has been great no problems whatsoever. The only thing that recently became worse is that when spindle is running it creates a lot of noises and start affecting the computer screen to a point that it actually switches it off, and from time to time it comes back on. Spindle cable is earthed as it should be but now recently this started happening. Used ferrites on screen cable it did not really help. Anyone had anything similar? Adding a little video to see it. Intresting to hear your opinions of how this can be sorted. Or the simple answer is tom get another screen? wont new one gave the same problem?
https://youtu.be/ms-2VrmrkeM