PDA

View Full Version : CNC Project - Guitar Neck (and the rest if I can get away with it)

Washout
25-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

Rather than clogging up the excellent Inspiration thread, I'll start a thread to show my progress on making a Fender Jaguar guitar on my CNC machine (or at least as far as that is possible).

So here's the latest video, carving out the main neck body from maple and a following one, which whilst showing me hand making some body templates shows the results of the neck carving on the machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfwrKdfsCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3N2yOMcn-0

The next video in this series will show the fingerboard, but I have many hours of video to edit so won't be until later this week.

Wal
25-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Watched Part 4 earlier today. Excellent work - I take it you play? Looking forward to seeing it plugged in..!

Wal.

Washout
25-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Watched Part 4 earlier today. Excellent work - I take it you play? Looking forward to seeing it plugged in..!

Wal.

Thanks Wal,

Yes, I've had a guitar addiction for many years, with occasional Bass, Mandolin, Keyboards and woeful attempts at drumming. I've seen your playing on your channel and most impressed - makes me miss the band thing (but not the hauling kit about part).

Oh and thanks for the heads up on the 0.5mm cutter - made me recheck my toolpaths and I had to raise the bottom of the pocket heights by 0.5mm to avoid the taper part of the shank from cutting too deeply into the fret slots. I'll use a fretting saw to deepen the slots if needed.

Wal
25-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Hehe, same here. 11 basses at last count... :distant: Got into the CNC thing through wanting to build my own - so far I've built a machine to help me build the bigger machine...

Glad to hear that the heads up on the 0.5 cutter may have saved you a bit of headache.

Wal.

Wal.

njhussey
25-01-2016, 04:36 PM
One evening I'm going to sit down and watch these all back to back Chris and make some notes!!! I want to make a guitar (or two....) with my machine starting off with something simple like a Tele and then moving onto an Explorer or V.....

Washout
26-01-2016, 06:54 PM
One evening I'm going to sit down and watch these all back to back Chris and make some notes!!! I want to make a guitar (or two....) with my machine starting off with something simple like a Tele and then moving onto an Explorer or V.....

Hi Neil,

Funnily enough I have in mind a telecaster myself once the two/three guitars I have on the go are finished. The version I have in mind will have front and back binding, a neck humbucker, phase switch and pre-amp i.e. the Andy Summers model without the $10,000 price tag (if Fender made any more that is). Even though I have a US Standard Tele (circa 95) it doesn't have the tonal variations to get Andy's sound and as I finally nailed the Message in a Bottle sound using an EHX Electric Mistress I need the boost as that flanger pedal cuts the volume when activated.

Ooops apologies gone all guitar nerd on the forum... ;)

njhussey
26-01-2016, 09:19 PM
I was playing a Tele on the weekend in Reidys in Blackburn which had two humbuckers both coil tapped and loved the playability of it and the different tones you could get....going to look for plans this weekend!

Clive S
26-01-2016, 10:26 PM
It seems there is a language problem here I must try Google translate.:whistle:

Wal
26-01-2016, 10:28 PM
It seems there is a language problem here I must try Google translate.:whistle:
Hehe.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Washout
01-02-2016, 09:28 AM
More progress - this time the fingerboard (cue foreign guitar geek dialects again ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBn8HyEg1E4

Clive S
01-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Nice vid as always and good to show mistakes warts and all:applause:. I noticed that you are going to finally put homing switches on using mechanical switches if you mount them as you indicated it will only be a matter of time before you crush them.

It is better to mount them so that the gantry or whatever can ride over them it is easier to use proxy switches mounted at right angles to the direction of travel so that the target runs over the top of the switch.

Washout
01-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice vid as always and good to show mistakes warts and all:applause:. I noticed that you are going to finally put homing switches on using mechanical switches if you mount them as you indicated it will only be a matter of time before you crush them.

It is better to mount them so that the gantry or whatever can ride over them it is easier to use proxy switches mounted at right angles to the direction of travel so that the target runs over the top of the switch.

Thanks Clive and points taken - I'll have to have a think about how to position the switches, but I think I have a few options.

I've also been considering freeing up some workshop space by "vertically" mounting the machine recently to make room for other machinery.

njhussey
01-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Chris, I agree with Clive (though I'm not sure I'm in a good position to comment as I've not got all my limits mounted yet and those that are aren't wired in.......:cower:) proxy's are the way to go and they're no harder to wire than mechanical switches.

Go vertical, nothing to be lost and everything to be gained!!!!! Mine is going vertical (well 85°) when I get the time at work to cut up and weld the frame (the steel is sitting rusting away out in the yard.....) and I can't wait as bending over the sides is a PITA :encouragement:

P.S. if you want some Proxy's then I've some you can have.

Washout
03-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Chris, I agree with Clive (though I'm not sure I'm in a good position to comment as I've not got all my limits mounted yet and those that are aren't wired in.......:cower:) proxy's are the way to go and they're no harder to wire than mechanical switches.

Go vertical, nothing to be lost and everything to be gained!!!!! Mine is going vertical (well 85°) when I get the time at work to cut up and weld the frame (the steel is sitting rusting away out in the yard.....) and I can't wait as bending over the sides is a PITA :encouragement:

P.S. if you want some Proxy's then I've some you can have.

Thanks Neil, that's good news - I've always struggled with things like Hall Sensors etc. in the past - I take it they don't need an OpAmp or anything to work?

Thanks for the offer if you have some spare - I'll PM.

Washout
09-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Morning all,

Part 6 is up and I guess shows the advantages of modelling the neck by cutting the profile in CAD from a virtual block i.e. you get a negative model at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4jN9nqxrw

Unusually there were no EBKAC (Error Between Keyboard And Chair) moments to show this time round...

njhussey
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Looking good Chris, following this with great interest...

Washout
10-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Looking good Chris, following this with great interest...

Thanks Neil,

Looks like there might be a bit of a gap in videos for this project, as I'm stuck whilst waiting for deliveries of both hardware to make sure the body routes and drilling is correct and some acrylic glue for the neck binding.

Luckily there's plenty of other projects to do...

Washout
23-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Part 7 - no CNC in this video due to binding the necks, but that will resume for the next two videos to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeadZKQh1k

Washout
27-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Part 8 is up in 2 videos - 8a is a walkthrough of Fusion 360 end to end and 8b is the machining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfvfcoFDM5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r44MtqKFz9I

suesi34e
28-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Part 8 is up in 2 videos - 8a is a walkthrough of Fusion 360 end to end and 8b is the machining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfvfcoFDM5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r44MtqKFz9I

As ever a great video from you. Yours are up there with the ones I most like to watch on YT.

Many thanks

Steve

JAZZCNC
28-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Doing great work Washout but let your machine and cutters have there head. This killing me It's like watching a thoroughbred horse being used for Donkey on beach.!! . . . It's cruelty to Machines. :sorrow:

Turn up the feeds watch your cycle times drop, tool ife increase and finish get better.!

Washout
28-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks Steve for the kind words.

Lol Dean - eloquently put sir and point taken :) I must knuckle down at some point and try some deeper/faster test cuts in aluminium and find out where my limits are for adaptive clearing - I have a couple of projects coming up this year that will need them e.g. rudder pedals for the gaming cockpit for one.

suesi34e
28-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Washout, your welcome. I will look forward to more great videos I like that you use Fushion 360 and that you don't skip through what you do at 100mph. That is handy for me as I am keen on learning Fushion. I can see you put a lot of effort into the videos. I just have to find the time to get going learning Fushion and starting my build!

Washout
04-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Part 9 is up with some "mild" CNC work to make a profile sanding block and then some manual labour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_pktD_ueg

JAZZCNC
04-03-2016, 01:49 PM
More Torture to tooling.!! . . . . . . . I'm going to report you to RSPT. . . . Your running HSS feeds & speeds with Carbide tooling. It's criminal and Silly because your causing excess wear and lesser finish quality.!! . . .. Stop being a Pussy and turn up the wick.:yahoo:

Washout
04-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Apologies Jazz, I knew I should have put a "Parental Guidance - Explicit Tickling CNC Content Contained" - you know for those of a more sensitive nature ;)

Washout
29-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Hi all

No CNC in this video (that comes in the next video), but thought you might like to see where the necks have got to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTcw2oj_MA

Washout
11-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

A couple of videos in the guitar series this week - the first not many people on here will want to view as its setting the machine up for machining, zeroing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ciU089KZGE

This one shows the actual machining (including a scary tool with a 50mm stick out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4-EGwXieY

routercnc
11-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Nice work. At first I thought the adaptive clearing was a bit of a waste on the finish pass as it seemed at first to dance around choosing which pocket to do bits of. But then it made up for that with nice moves when plunging to the next pass - it pulled away from the surface when lowering and then swept into the machining op.

Is that pull away when jogging down part of adaptive clearance or is that another CAM strategy? I only using Cut2D and it stays on the surface when jogging down (well ramping actually). I like your CAM better . . .

Washout
11-04-2016, 11:27 PM
The adaptive toolpaths were all roughing - I think the one you meant was the neck pocket and the "gutter" that went all the way down? (the first of the 50mm stick out). For some reason I had to do that operation or the partial cut outs at the end would run around that pocket and go 30mm down (i.e. chop out the bit the neck sits on) - hope that made sense.

The "pull aways" on the finishing passes (contour passes in Fusion 360) if they are the moves you refer to, are the lead in and lead out that Fusion puts in by default on 2D contour operations and when cleaning up pocket walls work great.

They are not so good on slots though or when Fusion ignores stock which it shouldn't, although in wood you get away with it - you can see them on the partial cut out slots at the end of the video where the tool plunges and then goes to the edge of the model (would end up in damage in aluminium). There is also a ramping option, which I think I missed off of those cut outs, which I should put in. I haven't quite got the hang of the ramping settings yet and sometimes get warnings or the ramp is way too long - need to experiment more.

In my opinion and whilst I used Cut2D and 3D until I jumped ship, Fusion 360 is so much more powerful and more suited to the work I do (especially the aluminium). It does however have a massive amount of options and is like running through a pre-flight checklist for an F16 (Fusion) as opposed to a Cessna (Vectric)... ;-)

JAZZCNC
12-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Who sets the feed rate for the adaptive step over you or the software.? If it's you then your too slow I cut aluminium faster than that and with deeper DOC.

I've just cut motor mount pocket in 6082 aluminium with 8mm cutter at 11mm DOC with i-machining which is pretty much same as adaptive stepper over and feedrate was 2217mm/min with Max step over of 1.7mm and that was only on level 3 out of 8 so being nice and easy on machine. Even level 1 was 1335mm/min.?

In wood I'd expect to be cutting 3x that speed at least.!

Washout
13-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Hi Dean

Yeah it was too slow - I think I said so at the end of the first toolpath.

My current workflow with adaptive is to spin up the feeds and speeds in GWizard and then transfer these to Fusion 360. I think what I forgot to do there was tick the HSM check box in GWizard, so it was slower than it should have been. I'll tweak it for the next body (I'm making two guitars, so have a second to do) and use a bit of blown air as my vacuum is a bit asthmatic currently (need a decent shop vac).

FYI - You can manually set a value for "optimal stepover", which is where Fusion tries to get to for the majority of each cutting pass, but ramps sideways into that stepover as part of the "curve". The "optimal" stepover unless you override it is set at 40% of the cutter diameter as a default value e.g. 3.2mm for an 8mm end mill.

Its maybe not as refined as i-Machining, as how aggressive is largely governed by what you get out of GWizard (or equivalent) and I haven't found a way of getting Fusion to optimise stepover or feeds based on a slider like i-machining has (wish it could though).

Washout
18-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Just a quick video this morning (badly shot), of the adaptive toolpath on the guitar body being re-run using the HSM setting from GWizard (setting 2 of 4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxmxiboxns

Settings were: 8mm 1Fl End Mill - 10mm DoC - 22,558 Spindle - 2,945 mm/min Feed Rate - 3.2mm Step-over (optimal)

The Feeds and Speeds are somewhat similar to Jazz's in the post above and ran very nicely, hence me grabbing the camera hastily. I think I could have gone for the setting higher and may do that at some point in a block of scrap.

Wal
18-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Looks very happy cutting at those speeds!

Wal.

JAZZCNC
18-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Much better your cuttters and machine will thank you for it as well. Bet the Finish is smoother as well.?

One other thing I noticed and not sure if you have control over this or not but will save lot of time is the fact the tool is retracting above surface every time arc ends and tool returns to start while in the pocket. No need for this it's just wasting time and wearing ballscrew away, just retract 0.5. Strange thou because I can see it does this while cleaning corners out but on the large sweep cuts it retracts Z every time.?

Washout
18-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Hi Dean,

Yes the finish is smoother.

Regarding the Z retracts - I'm not sure why Fusion 360 does this by default for the "sweeps" above 30mm, but there is "keep down" setting you can specify a maximum length for. I'm guessing this is Fusion's way of preserving the end mill's bottom cutting edge(s)?

I'll see if there's a setting for how far it retracts, but one method I know would work, may also risk rapids into uncut stock (a setting in the job height tab). More playing to be done here.

One area Fusion does lack somewhat in is the tool library, as I don't think there is a Feeds & Speeds calculator included (may have missed it). I see on the Fusion forums/patch notes however that this area is getting an overhaul soon, so fingers crossed there.

Whilst I trust in GWizard these days (since they included parameters for customising a generic router to your machine), its a pain to have to deal with a bunch of settings in one package and then transfer those (partially) to Fusion. Its too easy to miss something (e.g. HSM tick box in GWizard)

Especially as Fusion 360 looks to have most of the variables in its tool library, but they don't auto adjust when you change them e.g. change the setpover and watch F & S change to match.

BTW - thanks for the critiques - it really helps me up the learning curve and hopefully others.

Washout
29-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Hi all.

The saga continues in this video, but no CNC this time - just doing the stuff the machine couldn't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW_tqgnsqBg

Washout
01-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Hi All,

Been a little while, but some more progress at last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR5n2J0CF7Y

Wal
01-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Another excellent and informative video. I doubt it bothers you in the least, but I can't understand how you're not getting more views on this series of vids..!

Keep making 'em - I'll gladly watch more..!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mekanik
01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
I am watching
saw some guitar neck jig on website but for the life of me don't know how it works.
I thought(know nothing about guitars) the headset(or whatever it's called) was tied into the guitar body with a steel rod and this prevented the string tension from bending the neck, and i have heard nut mentioned.
Videos are GR8
Mike

lucan07
01-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Interesting watch but knowing nothing about musical instruments and only able to play a CD or Ipod not many comments I can make, nice work though would get more comments if people knew more about process.

Washout
01-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Interesting watch but knowing nothing about musical instruments and only able to play a CD or Ipod not many comments I can make, nice work though would get more comments if people knew more about process.

Good point lucan07 and thanks for the feedback - I may try and inject some "anatomy of a guitar" into future videos - probably during the Andy Summers Telecaster project I am thinking about, as the build process will be very similar to the three guitars I have going.

Washout
01-06-2016, 01:39 PM
I doubt it bothers you in the least, but I can't understand how you're not getting more views on this series of vids..!

Keep making 'em - I'll gladly watch more..!

Wal.

Thanks Wal,

Youtube viewing numbers are a "funny" thing and starting to use the channel properly was also an exercise in learning how the Google/Youtube algorithms work and there is a fair sample of data there now I can drill into. I could of course drum up extra traffic guess by CNC carving a pair of 3D breasts or cats, but chasing "ratings" is a slippery slope I'd rather not go down :-)

Washout
01-06-2016, 01:43 PM
I am watching
saw some guitar neck jig on website but for the life of me don't know how it works.
I thought(know nothing about guitars) the headset(or whatever it's called) was tied into the guitar body with a steel rod and this prevented the string tension from bending the neck, and i have heard nut mentioned.
Videos are GR8
Mike

Thanks Mike,

The thing you are describing is the truss rod - its an adjustable steel bow that fits inside the neck and compensates for the string tension. One of the neck videos has me installing them in the Jaguars (the one where I glue the fingerboards to the main neck body iirc).

The nut is the bone or plastic piece at the top end of the neck and holds the strings in place at that point - I will have a video showing me making these once all the paint work is finished.

Wal
01-06-2016, 01:45 PM
I was thinking about the YouTube views - guitar builds are a really popular subject on the 'tube with some pretty mediocre vids getting some very high viewing figures - this series features an informative and well put together build log of an iconic guitar - great work deserving of more YouTube views IMO..!

Wal.

[EDIT: Yep, I totally hear you on not wanting to 'chase' views - if you're anything like me then you're doing this as a personal record of work done - but there is a level of satisfaction knowing that your work has been seen by a few pairs of eyes and maybe inspired hands to have a go at making one themselves. I think back to the time before I had built my little mill, what did I do on weekends back then...?!)

njhussey
01-06-2016, 01:54 PM
....Andy Summers Telecaster project I am thinking about..... looking forward to this Chris, as you know I also want to make a Tele, I've got a few files of body and neck shapes but have looked no further than that as of yet as I'm still trying to make my RC plane!!

lucan07
01-06-2016, 01:55 PM
There are companies out there that will give you views for $ on youtube or followers on twitter and people crazy enough to pay them making the numbers pretty pointless at the end of the day apart from massaging a few ego's at a price. Also posts can be placed on thousands of forums by using a Bot people pay for these services too so I would not take a lot of notice of viewing, follower figures or indeed reviews they are easilly manipulated with very little knowledge.

Washout
01-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Very true - there are also the Youtube network companies and other external parties, who also promote the channels they have under their wings (for a revenue cut) using various "rent-a-mob" techniques and some who try to disguise what are in essence "infomercials".

Personally I'm not really motivated by the financial side (nor need to be), but I do enjoy doing the videos for their own sake and more to show people that they can also do great things using CNC. It also helps answer a repeat question I get i.e. "what on earth are you going to make with a CNC machine" when I tell them I've built one myself - maybe I should do a channel intro vid along those lines.

Washout
01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
looking forward to this Chris, as you know I also want to make a Tele, I've got a few files of body and neck shapes but have looked no further than that as of yet as I'm still trying to make my RC plane!!

Yeah me too - I've wanted that guitar since 1978/9, but wasn't going to shell out the ~£10,000 Fender wanted for the limited edition replica in 2007.

Perhaps when the time comes (we both have projects to finish :) ) we could do a collaboration video as your machine's larger bed would save a lot of grief when it comes to cutting out the bodies.

njhussey
01-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah me too - I've wanted that guitar since 1978/9, but wasn't going to shell out the ~£10,000 Fender wanted for the limited edition replica in 2007.

Perhaps when the time comes (we both have projects to finish :) ) we could do a collaboration video as your machine's larger bed would save a lot of grief when it comes to cutting out the bodies.

Definitely up for that Chris, will have to have a play with Fusion 360 before that and finish off the CNC Router build and get it up vertical as it's a PITA having it on the floor!!!!!

Wal
01-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Another cool build. Looking forward to that one taking shape..!

Wal.

Washout
10-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Morning chaps,

More progress - nitro lacquer going on in this vid i.e. colour at last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xShT2vMbp8E

cropwell
10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
No doubt you have seen this guys work, but here it is for other forum members to be amazed at !

http://www.carverdoug.com/guitars.html

Cheers,

Rob

I wish I had your skill and patience Chris - I would love to build a Harpejji.

Washout
10-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Rob

Yes I have seen those guitars - they're really nice.

That Harpejji looks interesting and looks to be more 2D than a Fender design so should be doable if you can find a design/blueprint somewhere.

Chris

cropwell
10-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi Rob

Yes I have seen those guitars - they're really nice.

That Harpejji looks interesting and looks to be more 2D than a Fender design so should be doable if you can find a design/blueprint somewhere.

Chris
The Harpejji board should be simple on a CNC router, it is just a matter of getting the fret distances right. The formula is something like 1/17 of the remaining distance to the bridge (but I would check it out properly). Electronics are more of a problem, I think you will need a sustain circuit for each string and that, in turn, means individual pick-up coils. The Chapman Stick works on a similar principle.

Cheers

Rob

Washout
10-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Yes makes sense - there's a couple of scale length/fret calculators out there (Stewmac and Manchester Guitar Tech iirc have them).

I must look into Sustainers as well at some point - I'm guessing they are similar to my beloved e-bow?

I've always fancied having a go on a Chapman Stick and didn't realise they use a separate pickup coil per string. That's very similar to the Gittler, which is another concept I've had in mind to incorporate into a guitar design.....so many ideas...so little time :)

cropwell
10-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Yes makes sense - there's a couple of scale length/fret calculators out there (Stewmac and Manchester Guitar Tech iirc have them).

I must look into Sustainers as well at some point - I'm guessing they are similar to my beloved e-bow?

I've always fancied having a go on a Chapman Stick and didn't realise they use a separate pickup coil per string. That's very similar to the Gittler, which is another concept I've had in mind to incorporate into a guitar design.....so many ideas...so little time :)

If you want to trigger MIDI you need separate coils like on the Shadow SH35. Roland do a similar pick-up, but I can't remember the model number. Otherwise I suppose you can get away with standard guitar pick-ups.

My experience of MIDI guitar was a little fraught, to say the least, and I have the Shadow kit sitting on a shelf doing nothing for a number of years.

Rob

Washout
29-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

Some CNC for the Jaguars whilst I wait for the lacquer to harden:

Part 15a - CAD/CAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Vom8-0fdY

Part 15b - Machining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1eTtuUOu8

Washout
19-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

Latest video in the Jaguar saga is up, but no CNC this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6pJ3GJ6bNU

So by way of compensation here's another scratchplate machining video and CAD/CAM walkthrough from another guitar project I'm getting to the end of:

Fusion 360 CAD/CAM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquZtcoCQM4

Machining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hpzyr95Kvw

njhussey
19-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Looking good Chris....Tele soon? 😋

Washout
19-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Looking good Chris....Tele soon? 

Thanks Neil and yes Tele Soon :thumsup:

I've been trying to do some research on the neck of Andy Summer's guitar and it looks like it has a heel adjusted truss rod, but still retains the headstock hole but plugged with a walnut blank. Once I have that sorted out I can begin the CAD/CAM for it. I normally use the TDPRI forums for this stuff, but have drawn a blank so far.

BTW - Do you use Fusion 360 now? If I get some time this week, I'll maybe start the CAD/CAM and then I could give you permissions on the project and try out the collaboration side of the software/cloud.

Cheers

Chris

njhussey
19-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I don't yet but I use Geomagic so I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly enough...I've downloaded it I think, just need to have a play!

Lee Roberts
19-07-2016, 01:53 PM
BTW - Do you use Fusion 360 now? If I get some time this week, I'll maybe start the CAD/CAM and then I could give you permissions on the project and try out the collaboration side of the software/cloud.

Cheers

Chris

I do !

Washout
19-07-2016, 02:26 PM
I do !

Could be the start of a MYCNCUK community project then :-)

Washout
04-08-2016, 06:51 PM
and the next part is up - attaching the necks (no CNC this time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEI25tMOkTA

njhussey
04-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Played a Jaguar yesterday in Andertons in Guildford....lovely guitars....my playing didn't do it justice at all...was a bit ashamed really!! Also played a tele...................:eagerness:

Washout
04-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Yes the Jaguar is very underrated/overshadowed by the Tele and Strat - probably because the setup can be a bit fiddly and I only caught onto them by chance having ignored them for years.

So long as you didn't play Stairway I'm sure it was all good :-)

njhussey
04-08-2016, 08:49 PM
So long as you didn't play Stairway I'm sure it was all good :-)

Nooooooooooooo.....bonjovi wanted dead or alive, oasis don't look back in anger...by which time the tips of my fingers were hurting as I've not played for months [emoji6]

Washout
17-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Almost there (actually the guitars are finished but the video editing is not) - this week its electricals and funnily building a CNC enclosure was helpful, as its all in the grounding with guitars as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSiVCuKZYpM

Washout
24-08-2016, 11:21 AM
And the Jaaaaags are done finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6i0x-mpjgM

Telecaster next :)

njhussey
24-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Telecaster next :)

[emoji106] [emoji450] must talk to you about a collaboration Chris....

Wal
24-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Beautiful. Just beautiful..!

Wal.

Washout
24-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys,

@Neil - yes indeed - bit busy atm, but hope to have a start on the neck and body on Fusion360 by this coming Sunday.

njhussey
24-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys,

@Neil - yes indeed - bit busy atm, but hope to have a start on the neck and body on Fusion360 by this coming Sunday.
I'll have a play with Fusion 360 in readiness then...

ericmac
30-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Id like to get in on this! I've started some sketches but would greatly appreciate some fusion files!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washout
31-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Id like to get in on this! I've started some sketches but would greatly appreciate some fusion files!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Eric

See the other thread for the Telecaster project.

Cheers

Chris

fwm891
28-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Superb thread.

I was expecting you to cut another slot in the baseboard to mimic the truss rod slot and use that as a register to machine the reverse of the neck. But then noticed your register pins...
You had some roughness problems which to me were to do with cutter rotation and timber grain directions. Might get over that by changing the cutter travel direction in local areas to avoid the grain lifting?

Soon have strings on!

Washout
28-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Superb thread.

I was expecting you to cut another slot in the baseboard to mimic the truss rod slot and use that as a register to machine the reverse of the neck. But then noticed your register pins...
You had some roughness problems which to me were to do with cutter rotation and timber grain directions. Might get over that by changing the cutter travel direction in local areas to avoid the grain lifting?

Soon have strings on!

Hi fwm891

Thanks and the idea of using the truss rod slot as an indexing fixture is interested and less fiddly than pins. If I was looking to produce these in any quantity I think that would be a good way to go.
Agree on the direction thing - its always a bit of a lottery when cutting wood and using tool paths that might not mix in certain portions of its travel. I get asked for feedback by Autodesk on occasion for Fusion 360 and being able to specify "wood" as a material and a grain direction that the tool path can then take account of might be a good feature for them, to implement in software as a checkbox.

BTW - I made the CAD available for the Telecaster on one of the videos if you want to do one yourself, or PM me your email address and I'll add you directly to the Fusion 360 project.