PDA

View Full Version : Spindle grounding

eurikain
28-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to make sure that I did correctly what was recommended in a great post on spindles (http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5814-The-2-2Kw-Chinese-Spindles-Info-Setup-and-Advice-More?highlight=chinese+spindle), which is to pull an earth cable from pin 4 of the spindle to the shield. Can anyone look at these photos and tell me if I'm good to close this thing back up ?

Also, when I put the cap back on, I think I should pour some silicon in there to ensure it's sealed correctly.. don't trust too much the thing done by those chinese guys.. Also I think I'll change the seals on the cap, on of them is broken already and the other one doesn't look to good.

Does anyone have an idea of why they don't ground them in the factory ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers !

Clive S
28-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Can't quite see what you have done there . Have you put the earth wire to the 4th pin on the socket what have you done with the other end?

eurikain
28-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Hello clive, yes I've soldered an earth wire to the 4th pin. The other end I soldered it on the while directly.

EDIT: well actually, the other end does not want to stick to the shield...

Clive S
28-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Hello clive, yes I've soldered an earth wire to the 4th pin. The other end I soldered it on the while directly.

EDIT: well actually, the other end does not want to stick to the shield...That's what I thought you had done you cannot solder to the case. If you re read what I said in the post you linked to. I said change one of the socket fixing bolts to a longer one and solder a ring type connector on the free end of the wire and put the ring over the bolt on the inside and secure it with a nut

eurikain
28-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Ohhh yes that's right, sorry ! I'll do that :) Is it ok to put silicon on the bolts and wires to ensure sealing ?

Clive S
28-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Ohhh yes that's right, sorry ! I'll do that :) Is it ok to put silicon on the bolts and wires to ensure sealing ?
You don't need to do that BUT be careful with the water connection seals (O rings) are not damaged. I believe some put a little silicone on the O rings. Thinking about it when you have done it you could run water through the spindle and leave a screw out of the socket then you would know if it was leaking. Don't forget to put the screw back later.

routercnc
29-01-2016, 08:07 AM
This was how I did it. See post #26

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7545-VFD-error/page2

eurikain
29-01-2016, 03:59 PM
This was how I did it. See post #26

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7545-VFD-error/page2

Looks really nice, great job ! I ended up filling the inside with silicone, though know it was not necessary, but I'm just too worried about the sealing.. this way I'm sure it's all sealed properly. I made sure nothing was getting in the water circuit by putting some perfectly sized metal stems in it.

Just letting it dry for the moment (24 hours recommended).

Clive S
29-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Looks really nice, great job ! I ended up filling the inside with silicone, though know it was not necessary, but I'm just too worried about the sealing.. this way I'm sure it's all sealed properly. I made sure nothing was getting in the water circuit by putting some perfectly sized metal stems in it.

Just letting it dry for the moment (24 hours recommended).What do you mean filling the inside up with silicone and what are the metal stems. There should be two O-rings to seal the water ways.

eurikain
29-01-2016, 10:39 PM

See how the three factory wires go through a white kind of silicon water-proof gel coat ? Well, I recoated that because I wasn't happy with how it looked. Next, next to the water holes there was some glue that was put in the factory, you can see it because it's only around the water holes. I put silicone all around the spindle like that:
But, as you can see, some silicone could get into the water intakes, which is not good, so I fitted a perfect fit metal cylinder through both of them while putting the cap back on to make sure no silicon got in there. I got the word "stem" from Google Translate, hoping the translation would make sense :) May be "metal stick" would have been better :)

I have to replace both o-rings of the cap intakes (main intakes when the spindle is closed), i'm not happy with those that are on there, plus one of them is broken, so I'll replace both at once. I'll get new ones next week.

Clive S
29-01-2016, 11:42 PM
Did you put the O-rings back over the waterholes in the spindle case on the inside? You don't need silicone all around the spindle case or you will never get it off again

eurikain
30-01-2016, 12:39 AM
On the inside there were no o-rings on my spindle... instead there was some white glue as shown in the picture above (you can see what's left of it after I got the cap off). I don't worry about getting it off, silicone won't glue it too hard, just ensure a good natural seal.

Clive S
30-01-2016, 08:08 AM
On the inside there were no o-rings on my spindle... instead there was some white glue as shown in the picture above (you can see what's left of it after I got the cap off). I don't worry about getting it off, silicone won't glue it too hard, just ensure a good natural seal.OK have you looked in the cap? Is there not an indented ring where the seal should sit in on the underside of the water inlets. It is very unusual not to have O-rings.

JAZZCNC
30-01-2016, 11:36 AM
It does have O-rings I can see them in the Black End cap. Can also see the tell tail black outline of the ring on the Stainless body.

Don't put it together just relying on Silicone. You need the O-rings.

If water gets into these Spindles they Go POP Big time and can take the VFD down with them so be careful.!!