PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New RockCliff builder in Northamptonshire.

geoff.sim
08-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi.

I have both the HobbyCNC router plans and the RockCliff plans.
After much deliberation, I decided to have a go a the RockCliff basic design 1st.

My initial plan is for a router that will cut plywood formers for model aircraft.
My wish would be that I could also create 3-d mouldings like canopies and scale details.

To date I have:
1. The plans.
2. A 2.5A 4-axis driver (EBAY - £47).
3. A 10A 24V supply (EBAY - £20).
4. 3 x 1.86NM Stepper motors (EBAY £50 for the three!).
5. A 700W router spindle (B&Q - £46 with several attachments).

What I need to decide now is whether to spend out £260 on a decent linear kit from Marchant Dice, or whether to try the cheaper route of 6mm rod etc...
To be honest, I can see nothing but problems with the cheaper route. I may attack the plastic card on this one...

Geoff.

Lee Roberts
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
The Rockcliff machine is designed to be adapted as you see fit really, the kits would just be an upgrade and i think it would be fair to say it would give you a better machine components wise. However if this is your first machine why not build somthing at low cost make your mistakes now and learn from them, then at a later stage you could go to each component and upgrade it how you would like to.

I dont think you would have any probems building to the plans as they are, i'm still buidling my machine now and i havnt really found it to be difficult working with the plans. I keep sending you links to my build log, please take a look at what i'm doing on my machine i'v kept to the plans alot and i think you could learn a little bit from my log as i document everything i'm doing and so on.

I didnt go for the linear size's in the plan i went for somthing a little smaller as i wont be doing any heavy cutting or needing to move alot of wight on the machine.

This Link: CLICK HERE - eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280117260782)

The link above is to the kit i got, its smaller like i said and i think could be all your going to need. I'm basing that on the idea that "plywood formers" wont be very heavy and you really wouldnt need to buy the other kits?

I'm NO professional and there could be things i'v no idea about and hopfully some of the pro's will join in and help to advise you, take a look at my build log i'v got loads of pics on there and i'v also put some on of the Rod Kit.

Hope I'v been of some help to you mate.

geoff.sim
19-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I have decided to have a go at the flying gantry style as I like the component-style of build.
I have decided on a 300mmx600mmx100mm work area and have created a spreadsheet to calculate the sizes of all the pieces required.
I will start a build log...