PDA

View Full Version : End mills starter kit

eurikain
13-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Hello people :)

Can anyone recommend a set of end mills from AliExpress for a beginner doing his first cuts ?

Requirements:

1. Materials: Plywood, hard wood, plastic, foam, but also aluminium cutting / milling
2. Machine: 2.2kW water cooled spindle, VFD, 1500x1000x150mm work area, 4 x Nema 23 4.2 A, 70V 10A PSU, SFU1605 on Z, SFU1610 on Y, SFU2010 on X1 and X2, SBR20 on all axes.

I guess I need different bit for different materials, though wood bits would work for plastic and foam I'm guessing.

Thanks a lot :)

All the best,
G.

Clive S
13-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Hello people :)

Can anyone recommend a set of end mills for a beginner doing his first cuts from AliExpress ?

Thanks a lot :)

All the best,
G.That can't really be done as you have not said what you are cutting with the machine or any details about it. But for starters just buy a couple of 3mm 2 flute and 6mm 2 flute end mills and see how you go.

Robin Hewitt
13-02-2016, 12:46 PM
You might do better with slot drills if you want to plunge, you want centre cutting.

Or do we call slot drills milling cutters these days? I have trouble keeping up :beer:

lucan07
13-02-2016, 03:14 PM
I've just started with the end mill converting one to CNC and for a starter set I purchased locally they're not that expensive and better quality locally than aliexpress, I went for 3,6,10mm endmill and ballend cutters for a start.
I have a stock of cheapo aliexpress cutters and the difference in quality is huge.

eurikain
13-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention what I was planning on cutting :) This is going to be the first time I use the machin,e so it's the first few cuts / parts. I want to cut woods (plywood or slightly harder) and plastics mainly. I'll definitely want to cut some aluminium parts but very few.

The machine is a 3 axis CNC router table, cutting area roughly 1500x1000x15, 2.2kW Spindle, VFD, standard 4 nema 23 3.1Nm 4.2A (X1, X2, Y, Z) with linear PSU 70V 10A. SFU1605 on Z, SFU1610 on Y, SFU2010 on X1/X2.

Boyan Silyavski
14-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Hi,
I have checked many bits and some could be Chinese and some not. There is a lot of choice but being wise will save you a lot of money and frustration, so you are right to ask.

I was used to buy only Kyocera bits from Drillman1 (http://stores.ebay.com/CARBIDE-PLUS) from ebay, as his prices are outstanding and so is the quality and life of Kyocera bits. Now i buy some from China also, but not any, as the bad ones break like crazy. But there are very good ones from China, that many people resell re branded.

After having spend a lot of $$$ in bits, trying this and that from around, my recommendation is for a basic kit to do jobs is as follows:

1. 1/8 or 3mm fishtail spiral 2 flute Kyocera from drillman1 . 12-16mm flute length. These are the most outstanding bits this size ever, especially for the price, not worth buying inferior or more expensive.
They are good for small jobs on all plastic, wood and aluminum. Buy at least 2 packs x10 each, one the fishtail and one normal flat bottom

2. 60 degree V bit 1/4 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-degree-angle-x-1-4-carbide-bits-engraving-and-scoring-tools-super-sale-/151942760125?hash=item23607e86bd) Kyocera- this is incredible price and the best V bit ever. i have found that if i need only 1 V bit it will be 60degrees and exactly this bit. You could buy a couple of 30 degress for very detailed jobs/ 1/8 / or the smaller 60 degrees 1/8, but as i am telling you this is my money maker bit.

3. 1/4 or 6mm, 2 or 3 flute bit, straight ~ 25mm cut depth plus same but 2 flute spiral. These both are a must . 25mm length is universal for most jobs. Best thing straigh bits are easy and cheap to resharpen locally or just by your self. I use them for aluminum also. I used to buy the 1/4 3 flute straight Kyocera from Drillman but he dont have them now from some time, so i checked some from China and i found some that have very good quality.

They are brand Guangdong Jeefoo Tools i have now their spiral ones and they are very sharp and durable. Here are the straight ones in 22mm (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-22-Solid-Carbide-Two-Straight-Flute-Bits-CNC-Router-Bits-2-Straight-End-Milling-Straight/2038703247.html), you could see a list of references in the listing so you could choose the right ones for you.

4. As for 1/2 bits i dont use them much as i had till now a small machine. But from what i see they would be Jeefoo or Whiteside carbide bits from ebay

Hope that helps.

PS.
-many people dont know about and can not make difference between fishtail and straight end mills. Believe me fishtail are much better even for aluminum. Reasonable priced are only the 1/8 carbide ones from Kyocera. 1/4 or 6mm i have seen only re branded Chinese and they cost 15 euro each against 6 euro straight end Jeefoo, so i prefer the flat bottom ones as they are quite cheaper.

That bellow is the perfect geometry i like and i have found is best for wood

-many people will also swear by one flute bits. i have Kyocera ones, yes they are nice for plastic and aluminum, even for wood. But they are not an universal bit for me, as

they are not very good for drilling holes precisely at the same time.

-aluminum could be done better with roughing bit and later proper aluminum bit with different geometry

-you may need a dedicated surfacing bit at least 1", where 2" is the maximum for the type of your holder and spindle power. There are expensive ones and cheap ones (http://www.ebay.es/itm/171394122795?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)as bellow

eurikain
19-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Hello Boyan, I am sorry for the delay, the forum stopped sending me notifications apparently :/ Anyways, very useful answer, I'll definitely make a shopping list out of this.

I've also read some document here and there to learn the types of bits there are out there. So many it's hard to choose ^^. That's why I came here, and again, it's rewarding. Tanks so much !