PDA

View Full Version : Motor control

D-man
13-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at building a rotary welding table, the mig gun will be mounted in one place while the workpiece is spinning.

My question is, is there a way to have a stepper motor controlled by a dial so I am able to speed the rotation and also slow it down?

Possibly a silly question but would I need to still use the driver?

Any info on exactly what I need would be very much appreciated or some sort of schematic

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgygeeza
13-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Easy with the right stepper driver.
http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/index.php/electrical-products/stepper-drivers/uim243xx-miniature-series-stepper-driver-analogue-speed-control.html

D-man
13-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Cheers pal, I have drivers just wasn't sure how to go about it.

So do I just get one of those and a dial to control the speed?

dodgygeeza
13-02-2016, 10:16 PM
you just attach a pot to them. to change the speed, very simple.

D-man
13-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Oh right, awesome!! So all I need to do is find a decent pot, hook it up to a power supply and crack on?

JAZZCNC
14-02-2016, 12:37 AM
If you have drive then one of these will work for you.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stepper-motor-driver-controller-Speed-Regulator-Pulse-Signal-Generator-module-/171925823801?hash=item280793e139:g:pKYAAOSwqu9VOTS T

cropwell
14-02-2016, 01:35 AM
If you have one of these, you don't need a power supply, driver or pulse generator. It is all in the box. Just add stepper and a couple of switches.

Cheers,

Rob

BTW these are probably only available at a CNC museum.

Boyan Silyavski
14-02-2016, 07:51 AM
yesterday was welding a couple of things and i thought " it would be great if somebody rotated slowly the pieces." Now you give me ideas.

dodgygeeza
14-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Did not know these were available at this price, looks good but how the hell do they make it and send it free for that amount?

If you have drive then one of these will work for you.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stepper-motor-driver-controller-Speed-Regulator-Pulse-Signal-Generator-module-/171925823801?hash=item280793e139:g:pKYAAOSwqu9VOTS T

toomast
14-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Rotary table is on me TODO list as well :) For weldingtable I would use something like a car windshield wiper motor. Hooked with simple DC motor controller...
Man... I really need to leave the wife and quit the job - then maybe I can finish something!

JAZZCNC
14-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Man... I really need to leave the wife and quit the job - then maybe I can finish something!

I did all that. This is what happens.???

# Your workshop extends into the house because it's warmer.
# Your Dining room table becomes main work bench because it's the largest area you never use anymore.
# Coffee table in lounge becomes electrical station because you can watch TV while doing boring stuff.
# Kitchen sides become layout and measuring station because they are nice long & flat.
# Spare rooms mean more space for more projects
# One less vehicle in yard and no cutting grass anymore means space for Large projects.

So end result is No wife / No job = More projects = less time = less money = more leg over.!!!! . . . . . BRILLIANT DO IT.!!!!

toomast
14-02-2016, 02:29 PM
:D
So whats the first thing? Quit tha job, then wife will leave herself...

Sent from my LG-D605 using Tapatalk

JAZZCNC
14-02-2016, 02:38 PM
:D
So whats the first thing? Quit tha job, then wife will leave herself...

Sent from my LG-D605 using Tapatalk

No need the Job to pay the wife off or hire a Hit man to take her out. . :angel:

D-man
14-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Pmsl

cropwell
14-02-2016, 03:52 PM
I thought retirement would give me the time I wanted to 'play' in my workshop. I was sadly deluded.

Cheers,

Rob

I thought those parker digiplans were just cupboard junk, but I looked at the prices asked on eBay. If I sold them at those prices I would get a 2,000% return on outlay. I have got 3 PK2's and a PK3, I would never have rated them at £1,600 worth.