PDA

View Full Version : Does this actually mean anything?

Robin Hewitt
17-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I read this twice, it sounds like I should understand it, but I do not.:numbness:

Is it for real, is it gibberish, have I had another TIA? :numbness:

Infotainment? :numbness:
:emptiness:

The AUTOSAR standard is increasingly being established at the center of the ECU design process for many Automotive OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers, and has support from a range of design tools and other industry standards. This is well demonstrated in AUTOSAR version 4.2 which introduces new concepts such as CAN Flexible Data rate (CAN-FD), integration with GENIVI compliant Infotainment systems, and extended support of Basic Software partitioning to meet the requirements of functional safety use cases.
These new concepts among others address gaps in the workflow and increase the effectiveness and gains of adopting AUTOSAR as an infrastructure for OEMs and Tier one suppliers. This webinar session will introduce these new concepts and features, and put you in a better position in terms of understanding the benefits of migrating to AUTOSAR 4.2
In this webinar, you will learn:
•Introduction to new technical concepts in AUTOSAR 4.2
•Introduction to the new safety and security extensions to AUTOSAR 4.2
•Diagnostics flow enhancements in AUTOSAR 4.2
•Quick overview on Mentor Graphics AUTOSAR 4.2 solutions
February 25, 2016 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM US/Pacific
Register for the live event and if you are unable to attend we will notify you when the archived recording is ready for viewing.

njhussey
17-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Gone are the days of tablets and chalk and eye spy on the horse and cart Robin ;) ....its all touchscreen 100% online connectivity these days apparently..............I wouldn't know as I've a 10 yr old Ford :)

routercnc
17-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Hi Robin,

I'm afraid Infotainment is now a well established word in the Automotive industry. Obviously an amalgamation of information and entertainment - e.g. touchscreen showing heater controls or traffic information, together with access to radio, DAB, CD, Bluetooth music from your phone, internet and other entertainment.

ECU is the engine brain
CAN is the CANbus which is a sort of network on the car where different systems talk to each other

I would argue there are now more man-hours spent developing software and hardware for cars than the metal bits.

Robin Hewitt
17-02-2016, 11:07 PM
I just have this nagging feeling that I should be able to work out what this thing they are trying to sell me actually does.

Tenson
23-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Are you a car mechanic? I guess it is an ECU reading programming tool. So you can get diagnostic info, program new keys and that sort of thing. Since cars are always updating the tech inside you need a tool that supports it.

cropwell
25-02-2016, 04:30 PM
I read this twice, it sounds like I should understand it, but I do not.:numbness:

Is it for real, is it gibberish, have I had another TIA? :numbness:

Infotainment? :numbness:
:emptiness:

.What's not to understand Robin? ECU programming is so simple that my two year old Grandson can do it ! :whistle:

Jonathan
25-02-2016, 06:29 PM
One wonders if even the people writing it know what all the acronyms mean.

What's not to understand Robin? ECU programming is so simple that my two year old Grandson can do it ! :whistle:

It frustrates me when people refer to programming the motor drive in the electric motorbike I'm working on, as programming an ECU. It is not an ECU (it's an FPGA) - the whole point is that we have a motor, not an engine!

cropwell
25-02-2016, 07:41 PM
This is the TLA culture, I remember reading an IBM technical manual in the eighties. It gave the meaning by using the full words on first appearance, after that the acronym was used. It went from heavy to unreadable in one page. There was no glossary of acronyms.

TTFN,

Rob

** TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Robin Hewitt
25-02-2016, 10:06 PM
It is not an ECU (it's an FPGA) FPGA I can understand, I had a protracted love affair with the 22V10 :beer:

Neale
26-02-2016, 12:06 AM
This is the TLA culture, I remember reading an IBM technical manual in the eighties. It gave the meaning by using the full words on first appearance, after that the acronym was used. It went from heavy to unreadable in one page. There was no glossary of acronyms.

TTFN,

Rob

** TLA = Three Letter Acronym

I used to work for Digital, back when they still existed, and that was also a hotbed of TLAs. In the end, they ran out of TLAs and moved to ETLAs - Extended TLAs...