PDA

View Full Version : Mounting this coolant pump horizontally

Noplace
18-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Hi guys, I acquired this pump recently and would like to use it for my coolant system, any idea from your experience if I can mount it horizontally without issue instead of vertically?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171790824595?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.changiron.com/Archive/_eng/download/PUMP-SP-08142P.pdf

would PTFE tape and o-ring be sufficient to seal the holes on the side of the tank? thanks!\Rightarrow

magicniner
18-02-2016, 09:55 AM
No and No.
The cage sits in the coolant, the pump unit is on a long shaft at the bottom of the cage, the motor is at the top to keep it away from the coolant, mount it horizontally and the level of coolant needed for it to work will be above the centre line and it will make it's way out through the motor,

- Nick

Noplace
18-02-2016, 12:41 PM
thanks of course that makes sense, but please see my tank design as I should have included this first, my apologies. will it work like this? the motor is separated from the tank and the mounting holes would be protected with the tape and the cage hole with o-ring or whatever else is normally used. possible or still no?

thanks!

magicniner
18-02-2016, 01:48 PM
What stops coolant making it's way through the dust seal on the shaft, through the bearings & into the motor?
-
If you want to run a pump attached to the tank you've designed you should use one where there is an air gap exposing the rotating shaft between the motor and the mounting plate, that way a coolant leak will be visible when it starts rather than only being detected when it's either made it's way through the motor or caused the motor to fail.
The pump is centrifugal, the flat round thing at the bottom of the cage in your linked product, this needs to be fully immersed if you wish to avoid airlocks, another reason why suds pumps are almost universally designed vertical.
You're on a hiding to nothing with the pump you linked to in a horizontal tank.

- Nick

Noplace
18-02-2016, 04:01 PM
What stops coolant making it's way through the dust seal on the shaft, through the bearings & into the motor?
-
If you want to run a pump attached to the tank you've designed you should use one where there is an air gap exposing the rotating shaft between the motor and the mounting plate, that way a coolant leak will be visible when it starts rather than only being detected when it's either made it's way through the motor or caused the motor to fail.
The pump is centrifugal, the flat round thing at the bottom of the cage in your linked product, this needs to be fully immersed if you wish to avoid airlocks, another reason why suds pumps are almost universally designed vertical.
You're on a hiding to nothing with the pump you linked to in a horizontal tank.

- Nick

Thanks for the detailed explanation, all notes and will redesign

AndrewMawson
18-02-2016, 04:48 PM
The construction is very similar to the standard Danfos high pressure pumps - I have 3 of them on my big Traub TND350G lathe and when I owned a few launderettes they were used as the main water pressurisation pump.

The seal from the motor downwards to the pump assembly is a ceramic one - they will run for literally years if undisturbed, but do weep ever so slightly. If you were to run the pump other than in it's intended orientation you run the risk of water in the motor and it getting flooded over time.