PDA

View Full Version : High-tensile steel

hoezap
05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Hello

Thank you for entering in my post

What sort of steel would you classify as High-tensile steel, and if you have any experience in machining High-tensile steel, what sort of problems does it give?

and what sort of cutting speeds would you use with HSS and carbide cutters to machine it?

I did probably already machine this steel but I did not know it could be classified as High-tensile steel?

Thank you very much in advance for your support

magicniner
05-03-2016, 06:34 PM
What sort of steel would you classify as High-tensile steel

Bolts marked 8.8 or higher probably con-rods and drive shafts in old style rigid rear axles with differentials

What sort of steel would you classify as High-tensile steel, and if you have any experience in machining High-tensile steel, what sort of problems does it give?

I've made the odd part from high tensile bolts, they can give a rough finish when turning but I just crank up the speed, use inserted tooling and avoid fine cuts. HSS might give a good finish at lower speeds but I tend to save HSS for jobs where I know I'll get plenty of work out of the tool before re-grinding,

- Nick

magicniner
05-03-2016, 06:41 PM
what sort of cutting speeds would you use with HSS and carbide cutters to machine it?

I usually take a couple of roughing and finishing cuts while setting up my DRO for a new job and you get a feel for this kind of thing after some time cutting a wide range of materials.
If in doubt I consult Machinery's Handbook, if you don't have a copy I recommend you shop for one on Amazon or eBay as they're a brilliant book for reference and for general leafing through and reading, you'd be surprised what you discover while reading any given copy of Machinery's Handbook, I have a copy from the 1950s and one from the late 1980s

- Nick

hoezap
06-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Thank you very much, to everyone

Could we say that body cutters are in high-tensile steel? What sort of cutting speeds with carbide general purpose tips would you use to cut it? could we say from 10 meters per minute to 20 meters per min, do you use coolant? I know most of the time air is used on this kind of steels... Thank you very much again your support

m_c
06-03-2016, 11:31 PM
High tensile steel is a very general term. More specific, but still general terms would be Low/Mid/High Carbon steels.

For speeds/feeds you really need to know the exact grade and current state (i.e. annealed, hardened, tempered - bigger sized bars in certain grades can have varying states of hardness/temper as you move from the perimeter to centre).
A good start for speeds/feeds, is to use a speed and feed calculator, which should give you some reasonable numbers to start with. A good online calculator is FS Wizard - http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=fswizard

magicniner
07-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Could we say that body cutters are in high-tensile steel?

What kind of body?

hoezap
12-03-2016, 11:23 PM
the body cutter of any indexable cutter

komatias
13-03-2016, 12:50 AM
I would say they are engineering steels. No need for high tensile properties.

magicniner
15-03-2016, 10:30 AM
the body cutter of any indexable cutter

Cutter Body means "the body of a cutter"
Body Cutter means "a cutter for use on a body"

I asked the question because even the context in which the question was asked left the meaning ambiguous and I wondered if you might be referring to the kind of sheet metal cutters used by panel beaters and body workers.