PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: Worlds Greenest Stool Bottom CNC

magicniner
17-03-2016, 02:02 PM
It's going to be awesome! I'm planning the build primarily in used chewing gum and string with steppers salvaged from printers driven by some cobbled together micro-controller setup.
I'll only ever want to take light cuts in steel so what I need to know is will I be OK just hanging a big old router off it to achieve this?
TIA,
Nick

phill05
17-03-2016, 02:16 PM
will I be OK just hanging a big old router off it to achieve this?
TIA,
Nick
Make sure you have enough diagonal braces

Neale
17-03-2016, 02:30 PM
In case his diagonal trousers fall down?

Anyway, used chewing gum is over-engineering. I'm going to use cold-rolled cow dung. Actually, I think I already have, except that B&Q label it MDF...

komatias
17-03-2016, 02:38 PM
now now children...no need for that. We all know you can use PVC pipe and pritt stick.

JAZZCNC
17-03-2016, 04:31 PM
now now children...no need for that. We all know you can use PVC pipe and pritt stick.

Why or why do we need to go so Hi tec can't we just keep to basics. For any machine wanting to cut material upto titanium then there's readably available formula in every Home.? . . .It goes like this.!

Mix one part flour with one part of water (eg, 1 cup flour and 1 cup water, or 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water) until you get a thick glue-like consistency. Add a bit more water if it's too thick. Mix well with a spoon to get rid of all the lumps.

Make the basic form with your favorite tabloid offering, Sun or Star put smile on the face while offering an artistic perspective.!! Slap the Dab on and your Milling next day.

Recycled Milks straws and Toilet roll cores will make you a nice housing just to top it off.! :yahoo:

cropwell
17-03-2016, 06:16 PM
For any machine wanting to cut material upto titanium then there's readably available formula in every Home.? . . .It goes like this.!

:yahoo: So when are you going to show us the design and what DOC would you recommend for a 10mm cutter (3D printed) running at Warp 9 and cutting Dilithium crystals.

magicniner
17-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Make sure you have enough diagonal braces

I've got some red braces, will they do?

Clive S
17-03-2016, 06:48 PM
I think you are all taking the piss out of my machine:beaten: and I am going to cry if you don't stop

JAZZCNC
17-03-2016, 09:49 PM
So when are you going to show us the design and what DOC would you recommend for a 10mm cutter (3D printed) running at Warp 9 and cutting Dilithium crystals.

I'll show it when I get the hollow deck working again.!

Robin Hewitt
18-03-2016, 01:13 PM
I am ready to build a tool room quality milling machine. I did some stuff at school and I have been browsing this web site for weeks and seen everything that you have done wrong so I can now copy all your mistakes and maybe add a few of my own. I bought a deluxe copy of Google Sketch Up, with the CAM upgrade, it wasn't cheap but I have already done some really neat drawings. Took me hours so if you see anything wrong there is zip zero nada chance of me changing anything, besides I am so freaking clever there is no possibility you will see anything wrong with it anyway. It will be made from extruded aluminium and I have ordered a lorry load of the wrong stuff all cut to size so there is no chance I can send it back, in fact I just changed my mind and it will now be cast out of epoxy granite. I have never tried to mix pints of epoxy resin before but I regularly repair my glasses with Araldite so how hard can it be. Degassing? Are you accusing me of blowing off? I think you are really horrible and my toys will leave the pram PDQ if you don't back down. I have ordered six 10kW Polanski AC stepping motors from ebay because they were cheap. I could not be bothered to do any kind of research or maths, but why should I bother when it is your job to tell me exactly how to make it work. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that, you may then tell me how brilliant I am and form an orderly queue to order similar machines, PayPal accepted.

cropwell
18-03-2016, 01:29 PM
I really think this forum should have a topic 'Humour and Sarcasm', as I am having difficulty separating the serious from the stupid. (Maybe I am just seriously stupid).

A CNC builder walked into a bar, maybe his limits sensor wasn't working !

How about 'Two blondes were building a machine.......' any suggestions for the rest of this one ?

It is good to see some levity on the forum, maybe spring is in the air.

Anybody use Sugru ? I have used it to brace my MD machine.

Cheers,

Rob

magicniner
18-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Two blondes were building a machine and one noticed that the one working on the other side of the machine was throwing away about half the bolts as she was pulling them out of the box so she asked why.
The answer was "Half these bolts are clearly defective as they have the head on the wrong end!"
"They're not defective, they're clearly for my side of the machine!" was the response ;-)

Any good?

cropwell
18-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Two blondes were building a machine and one noticed that the one working on the other side of the machine was throwing away about half the bolts as she was pulling them out of the box so she asked why.
The answer was "Half these bolts are clearly defective as they have the head on the wrong end!"
"They're not defective, they're clearly for my side of the machine!" was the response ;-)

Any good?

I don't understand why they would have to have different bolts for the other side, unless they were left-hand thread to counteract torque :chuncky:

Clive S
19-03-2016, 01:27 AM
This has been removed

Robin Hewitt
19-03-2016, 10:19 AM
The left-hand counteract bolts are clearly marked, many are accidentally sent to Cerne :chuncky:

dcrowder
19-03-2016, 10:54 AM
'Two blondes were building a machine.......'

It doesn't need a punchline :)

lucan07
24-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Agree with Dcrowder but I have always been amazed that the peroxide manages to turn the brain blonde as well as the hair!

cropwell
24-03-2016, 02:27 PM
My wife uses a hair colourant called 'Hidden Blonde' - it leaves her hair colour the way it is but .................