PDA

View Full Version : Noob Wondering About Rotating Mchinery

magicniner
26-03-2016, 01:09 AM
I've seen so many posts saying I shouldn't stick my hand (or other body parts) into rotating machinery I can't count them but it seems like a reasonably good idea to me.
Is there any legislation preventing stupid people like me buying power tools and using them however I like?
I might consider a mincer if a lathe is off limits to me,
TIA,
Nick

John S
26-03-2016, 02:19 AM
Are you pissed ?

magicniner
26-03-2016, 10:47 AM
No, it's a parody on a post on another forum, there's a long discussion about whether one should undergo formal training before buying a lathe for hobby use ;-)

JAZZCNC
26-03-2016, 11:04 AM
No, it's a parody on a post on another forum, there's a long discussion about whether one should undergo formal training before buying a lathe for hobby use ;-)

Health and safety brigade gone bonkers again. Thou must admit there are some real dumb F''##ers with less common sense than carrot.!!:stupid:

komatias
26-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Thought that is why they were supposed to be CE marked? Got a link to the other discussion?

Web Goblin
26-03-2016, 12:32 PM
H&S have indeed taken over. I have to go on a training course next week so that I can use a hydraulic jack even though I have been using one for at least 20 years.
I thought the store man was taking the piss when he refused to issue me one because I wasn't on the list of competent people.

JAZZCNC
26-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Thought that is why they were supposed to be CE marked? Got a link to the other discussion?

How the Hell will 2 letters CE stop an idiot from getting is arm ripped out the socket if decides to stick is hand into chuck.? . . . Before you say guards or interlocks the idiot as already by-passed or removed those because he can't see where to stick is fingers.!!

No letters or HSE can repalce Common sense and here in lies the problem.!! . . . . Leave people alone stop babying them with HS and let them learn common sense. Even that means doing it the hard way.!

komatias
26-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Take a breath and stop misinterpreting humour. We all know that CE marki g is only there to protect the sellers from the users idiocy

JAZZCNC
26-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Take a breath and stop misinterpreting humour. We all know that CE marki g is only there to protect the sellers from the users idiocy

I didn't see any humour in your statement george thought you where just being Anal which happens so often on forums but I'll agree on the CE seller idea. :thumsup:

magicniner
26-03-2016, 03:41 PM
I thought C E just meant China Export ;-)

Back in the day when you got 3 years minimum of metalwork you would get a go at everything from basic bench-work through to turning and milling with all sorts in between - soldering, brazing, sweating, possibly enamelling, forge work - loads of great skills - suitable safety advice would be dispensed with a clip 'round t' ear 'ole to reinforce any ignored advice.

The excuse that all these skills won't be used in Service-Industry-Britain means that kids are missing out on learning things that could provide brilliant hobbies and might lead some to bigger things,
It's all a bit sad really.

JAZZCNC
26-03-2016, 04:09 PM
It's all a bit sad really.

It's more than Sad it's plain wrong and Tragic.! . . . We help Design some the Worlds greatest creations but yet let every other Bugger build them.!!

magicniner
26-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Once all the Chinese and Indian workers have a house, a car, cable TV and air-con manufacture will once again be worthwhile in Northern Europe, just no one will know how anymore :-(