PDA

View Full Version : first move not clearing material

kell
31-03-2016, 05:02 AM
I must be doing something wrong, and I am sure it is obvious but I am missing it as usual.
After loading g code and setting tool , my tool tip in on material at zero, when I push cycle start it move directly to first position instead of lifting and clearing material first.? Just wait now for the first person to tell me the obvious.

Web Goblin
31-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Let us know what controller/software/machine you are using. Sounds like you don't have a safe Z clearance distance setup.

kell
31-03-2016, 06:18 AM
It is Mach 3 and it dose say safe z not set but not sure how to set it

Web Goblin
31-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Unfortunately I don't use Mach3 as yet so you'll need to hang around until someone else wakes up.
I normally set up my safe Z clearance height in the cad/cam software before it gets to my controller.
What are you using to create the G code?

kell
31-03-2016, 06:34 AM
I'm using solidcam

Web Goblin
31-03-2016, 06:39 AM
I don't use solidcam either so I'm not being much help to you. Somewhere in the material or milling operation setup in solidcam there will be a box for you to input a safe z distance. It might be labelled as clearance distance or something like that. You would normally set that distance so that the cutting tool would be able to clear the workpiece and any jigs or fixtures above the material.

Web Goblin
31-03-2016, 06:43 AM
This link has some info: https://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~medesign/wiki/uploads/Software/SolidCAM_instructions.pdf
Step 3 on the pdf shows a pocket milling operation and has a box for clearance level. I think this is where you put your safe distance value.

magicniner
31-03-2016, 04:09 PM
I must be doing something wrong, and I am sure it is obvious but I am missing it as usual.
After loading g code and setting tool , my tool tip in on material at zero, when I push cycle start it move directly to first position instead of lifting and clearing material first.? Just wait now for the first person to tell me the obvious.

After setting zero move Z up to your clearance plane before starting the job.
The software which generates your code will assume your machine is starting from a homed position - well above the work.
When we manually set a zero we often need to leave the machine as the CAM software would expect to find it - with the tool well clear of the work,
Regards,
Nick

Ger21
31-03-2016, 05:01 PM
It's SolidCAM's responsibility to lift the tool, not Mach3.
Mach3 just does what SolidCAM is telling it.

JAZZCNC
01-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Tut tut Mark you wasn't paying attention was you when I showed you last time. . .Lol

If get done early enough tomorrow (fri) I'll call on way from work and show you.

Clive S
01-04-2016, 12:48 AM
:sleeping:

kell
01-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Tut tut Mark you wasn't paying attention was you when I showed you last time. . .Lol

If get done early enough tomorrow (fri) I'll call on way from work and show you.
PMSL because the amount of info remember its an old brain you are trying to get it in lol

kell
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM
sorry thanks clive

magicniner
01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
It's SolidCAM's responsibility to lift the tool, not Mach3.
Mach3 just does what SolidCAM is telling it.

Isn't it the responsibility of the author of the PP?

JAZZCNC
01-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Isn't it the responsibility of the author of the PP?

No it's the responsibilty of the Muppet using the Cam software to set the Safe Distance height.!!:dejection:

magicniner
01-04-2016, 04:15 PM
I've never had the issue but then it never occurred to me to zero the tool to a surface, turn the spindle on and hit GO!
:D