PDA

View Full Version : Drag chain size and length needed for 6040 CNC

nirmal
01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Can someone please advice me on what what size drag chain and what lengths to get for a bare bones 6040CNC. I am going to use a water cooled spindle, run a compressed air line and use shielded CY cables for stepper motors, limit switches and home switches. There will be 6 limit switches and 3 home switches with separate cables for each.

lucan07
01-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Tend to come in 1mtr lengths and I used 15x30mm to hold everything water, power, and control on similar size build 2mtr being plenty.

nirmal
01-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Cheers. The help is much appreciated.

Neale
02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
If you order this drag chain, it seems to be priced by the metre (reasonably enough). If you order, say, 2 or 3 metres do you get a single length with just one set of end adaptors or 2 or 3 1-metre lengths each with end pieces? I'm about to order some and was wondering about this - or even if it much matters.

cropwell
02-05-2016, 09:55 AM
If you order this drag chain, it seems to be priced by the metre (reasonably enough). If you order, say, 2 or 3 metres do you get a single length with just one set of end adaptors or 2 or 3 1-metre lengths each with end pieces? I'm about to order some and was wondering about this - or even if it much matters.
You could even 3D print it in purple PLA :eagerness:

Neale
02-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Well, thank you, Rob, for that suggestion! And don't think that I haven't considered it. Purple goes so well with my complexion...

I've also made a couple of short lengths CNC-routed from MDF based on a design I found on t'internet. That worked, but there are times when even I reckon that just buying something is easier than making. The digital panel meter I need to replace the meter on my variable voltage PSU is costing me 79p, post free, from China. I couldn't even buy the display for that price. And drag chains just have so many pieces to build up a decent length...

lucan07
02-05-2016, 11:24 AM
I got my 2 x 1mtr of 15x30 with ends from amazon(warehouse) sells off returns and damaged packs, just keeping a watch for same, cost me £2.50 mtr rather than normal £10 they seem to come up regularly. Printing for a few wires is simple for printers lasers but with the amount and type of cables involved strength will be an issue with 3d printing unless you make it very bulky.