PDA

View Full Version : Machine Homebuilders - This is amazing I think.

Davek0974
20-05-2016, 01:06 PM
I saw this on the 'tube today and after reading all the build and design threads on here I thought it might be interesting to those builders.

This is built with 1/2" steel box frame and is every bit as good as a production unit...

https://youtu.be/b-y03hhCCME

I would love one of these.

magicniner
21-05-2016, 11:58 AM
We should consider that he used a VMC-15 to machine stuff for it and has what we might consider an unlimited budged though ;-)

Davek0974
21-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Yes, also worked for Haas ;) And built it in 8 weeks!

BUT, at the end of the day, it is made from steel box, HiWin rails and ballscrews - stuff we play with all the time.

I think it just shows that basic stuff can build seriously good machines.

m_c
21-05-2016, 01:41 PM
He was a founder of FADAL, not Haas ;)

And it's not quite bog standard steel box. IIRC it's a high tensile cromoly steel.

magicniner
21-05-2016, 02:13 PM
I think it just shows that basic stuff can build seriously good machines.

One of the key ingredients was was the budget, another was a VMC big enough to make major parts, and to face up and square the mounting points on the weldments.
I don't think the workshop facilities he has can really be included in "basic stuff" ;-)

Davek0974
21-05-2016, 02:51 PM
He was a founder of FADAL, not Haas ;)

And it's not quite bog standard steel box. IIRC it's a high tensile cromoly steel.

My bad ;)

I still thinks its a cool machine though, yes he used big machines to build it but then we could send a frame out for machining to big company - it's not that expensive.

Yes the steel is cromoly but that is available.

The motion was bog-standard HiWin though, most likely with pre-load etc but still HiWin.

He just copied a production machine and scaled it down, but it proves it can be done without throwing three hundred tons of steel at it ;)

lucan07
21-05-2016, 02:54 PM
If we all had the same resources he had our machines would be better, mine was built using a micro mill less than £500 new with a £100 conversion and no previous experience. His workshop and his budget I would have built a better machine than I did and in your case I would guess your mini mill would have grown and had that £4k ATC spindle.

Davek0974
21-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Don't get me wrong here, I think what we have all built or are contemplating building here are simply fantastic, what I am trying to say is that the frame for his build probably did not cost that much, yes he has a whole lot of bells and whistles added but at the core it's just an L-shape steel box frame and I would wager that it could be done a lot cheaper than his and still get the results as the design is sound and shows that mass is important - his bed must weigh a fair bit alone.
:)

JAZZCNC
22-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Agree with Dave 100%.
The basic frame isn't anything special and easily with in anyones grasp given realistic budget and determination. The main difference I see is the fact he's got inside knowledge of how Pro machines are built and full access to fendors that can spec and provide the bells n whistles. Being a millionare doesn't hurt is task either.!!

Give me 12K and I'll build something to equal or better it.!!

Clive S
22-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Give me 12K and I'll build something to equal or better it.!! Would that be Lira :monkey: if so I will take you up on it

JAZZCNC
22-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Would that be Lira :monkey: if so I will take you up on it

Clive if you want one I'll call you Lira or what ever you want.! :whistle:

Clive S
22-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Clive if you want one I'll call you Lira or what ever you want.! :whistle:Do you mean Laura:hysterical: