PDA

View Full Version : Machining and Grinding Aluminium Nitride

ArgeleIntili
14-06-2016, 06:58 AM
About Aluminium Nitride:
Aluminum Nitride (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_nitride) or AlN is known as nitride of aluminium, is a grey colored semiconductor material. It was discovered more than a century ago in 1877, but it was not until the middle of the 1980s, its viable engineering properties were discovered. It has high coefficient of thermal expansion and thermal conductivity. Its coefficient of thermal expansion strongly matches Silicon wafer material, resulting to its attractive electronics applications. Its high thermal conductivity makes it an electrically insulating ceramic material.

Machining & Grinding of Aluminum Nitride
Aluminum Nitride can be machined into fully dense states in the form of green biscuits. In Green biscuit form it can be machined easily into any complex geometry. However, the sintering process followed during Machining Aluminium Nitride (http://top-seiko.com/material-cat/machining-aluminum-nitride-products/) can fully densify the material. It causes the AlN body to shrink 20% of its actual size. This shrinkage makes it difficult to hold very tight tolerances for pre-sintering aluminum nitride.

So to achieve very tight tolerances, fully sintered AlN is grounded with diamond cutting tools. In this process a very precise diamond coated tools are used. These tools abrade the material until the desired form is created.

Important Applications of Aluminum Nitride

Heat sinks & heat spreaders
Silicon wafer handling and processing
Electrical insulators for Laser heat management components
Molten metal fixtures
Substrates for opto-electronic devices and microelectronic devices
Substrates for electronic packages
Laser heat management components
Chip carriers for sensors and detectors
Molten metal fixtures and Machining
Packages for microwave devices
Electronic packaging material

Aluminium Nitride Machining Capabilities

------------------------
I have explained about Machining and Grinding Aluminium Nitride. If anyone have comments or suggestions on this post please feel free to let me know. :thumsup:

magicniner
14-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Why not simply post a link to the source of the information you've copied -

http://top-seiko.com/material-cat/machining-aluminum-nitride-products/

I don't think we need to know about "The Properties of Tungsten Metal", we use it in the UK for the bodies on high quality darts, it's a British Thing ;-)

Clive S
14-06-2016, 09:32 AM
I have explained about Machining and Grinding Aluminium Nitride. If anyone have comments or suggestions on this post please feel free to let me know. :thumsup: And the point of this to hobby CNC is !! ?

njhussey
14-06-2016, 09:42 AM
If anyone have comments or suggestions on this post please feel free to let me know.

My comment is.....I'm struggling to see what the purpose of this post is??

Suggestions is......to explain a bit more why you posted this??

magicniner
14-06-2016, 11:11 AM
My comment about Tungsten refers to his post on another forum which appears to have been deleted as it was simply a copy and paste job, predominantly from Wikipedia, it seems ;-)

It would be simpler to say "Hello, I'm lonely and want to talk", there's fora (the correct multiple for forum) for that :D

magicniner
14-06-2016, 11:13 AM
The pattern seems to be that of building a profile with innocuous posts, something often done prior to a massive spamming campaign!