PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New Member from Kent

hedders67
14-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Hi
New to forums and CNC so please bear with me being a real noobie.

Had no real experience of CNC apart from seeing some machines demo'd at wood working shows etc.
Wife is really into woodworking, has her own cabin in garden with scrollsaw, pillar drill and wood store. She is a real top find as she likes going to Axminster and does not moan when I buy tools as she is buying as well.

She is now looking for a CNC machine in the £5k to £7k arena, all in. Wanting to cut ply, mdf and possibly some thicker bits of wood.
Have been looking at the Legacy Woodworking Explorer from the US or the Stoney CNC mid sized machine.
Would welcome advice on which to buy, happy to push the boat out for a spindle if I can get it under the £7k.

remrendes
17-06-2016, 09:10 PM
I like your wife :) You can build if for half price for her. What size do you looking?

hedders67
19-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Hi
She is special and not many of that quality around.
That said she has put up with me for 27 years!!!
Looking to buy a ready built machine rather than trying to get all the pieces right.
Also would then benefit from after sales support.
The mid size Stoney has a cutting area 1000mm x 600mm.
Needs to be a comparable size perhaps 400mm x 600mm smallest she would want.
any pointers appreciated

mekanik
19-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Hi hedders
welcome to the forum,
just a word regarding the availability of a decent off the shelf CNC machine.
Not all, but the majority of available machines are not a very good investment.
There are guys on the forum that will build a machine to your exact spec using the correct mechanical and electronic components,and it will perform superior to the majority of equipment you will find commercially available (unless you have very deep pockets),
put a request in freelance jobs & requests.
kindest Regards
Mike

JAZZCNC
20-06-2016, 09:44 AM
There are guys on the forum that will build a machine to your exact spec using the correct mechanical and electronic components,and it will perform superior to the majority of equipment you will find commercially available

Like ME.!! :toot:
Mike is 100% spot so regards what's available commericaly so Drop me a PM if your interested in having one custom built.
Also don't put too much value on the support front because in my experience most of the companys only offer limted support via phone and after that they want to charge the earth so it costs you in end anyway.
They ceratinly won't answer your call at 10.30PM on Sat evening or 8.30AM Sunday morning like do. They also wouldn't thank you ringing for Chit chat about best way to approach job or what speeds/feeds etc.!! Most I build for become friends or have regular contact regards machine usage rather than machine issues. (Which is because designed built correctly using decent quality components.)

Welcome to CNC by the way.:yahoo: (But run away now before the Bug bites and still have chance to remain Sane.!!)

hedders67
20-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Thanks Guys for advice.
Am keen to get the right machine but didn't want to build myself as concerned about getting it all to go together properly.
That said have seen some of your posts and you seem to be really in top of specs etc.
Will PM Jazzcnc when I work out how to do that.
See told you I was a noobie.
too late for the CNC bug, it has already bitten.