PDA

View Full Version : The most stupid Newbie question ever!!

mattscarlett
28-06-2016, 05:45 PM
I've been watching videos from the likes of Seco. Personally, I'm into the DIY speaker scene, but here comes the stupid question. What do you do with the metal waste/chips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XI9d8DZOEg

as for the speaker side of things again, what does happen with the aluminium waste?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_OfPqfg48 - 00:40 onwards

magicniner
28-06-2016, 07:34 PM
You keep waste separate by cleaning up when you change materials, you can then weigh it in for scrap or take it for recycling.

- Nick

Lee Roberts
28-06-2016, 10:41 PM
or, wait till you've got enough of it and then use it to cast your own parts/ingots, ready for machining :).

.Me

mattscarlett
29-06-2016, 05:38 PM
You keep waste separate by cleaning up when you change materials, you can then weigh it in for scrap or take it for recycling.

- Nick

or, wait till you've got enough of it and then use it to cast your own parts/ingots, ready for machining :).

.Me

Thanks for your replies.

Is it an easy enough and cheap process (machinery needed) that it could be done at home by a newbie?

Washout
29-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Smelting aluminium is something I must have a go at soon - I have over half a dustbin full of chips...

JAZZCNC
29-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Smelting aluminium is something I must have a go at soon - I have over half a dustbin full of chips...

From what I know Half dustbin of chips will get you about Tea cup full of usable aluminium.!! . . . Most people who smelt won't use chips because it's not worth the energy for whats returned.

Washout
29-06-2016, 10:45 PM
From what I know Half dustbin of chips will get you about Tea cup full of usable aluminium.!! . . . Most people who smelt won't use chips because it's not worth the energy for whats returned.

That's a shame - I'll stick that to the back of the "projects queue" then in favour of another dangerous trial - anodising - now I have somewhere ventilated to do that in :)

Lee Roberts
30-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Ali car wheels are good.

.Me