. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Guys

Plate is cheaper than bar but does it machine ok? Im looking at buying it from aluminium warehouse but wasnt sure if plate or bar for machining.

You really need to be a little more specific. The section of any material is not what matters, its the grade. So make reference to the grades you are talking about... If you want advice on what grades are machinable and the materials application, then best ask that question.

Is that what you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    You really need to be a little more specific. The section of any material is not what matters, its the grade. So make reference to the grades you are talking about... If you want advice on what grades are machinable and the materials application, then best ask that question.

Is that what you want to know?
    On aluminiumwarehouse web site you can choose either t6082 flat bar or t6082 plate. So if these are the same i guess either would be fine?

In general, Plate tends to be flatter than flat bar. The grade determines how it machines, plate or bar no difference.
    You'd choose plate or bar depending on usage but I'd always choose plate for machining med to larger parts which need to be pretty flat but don't require machining flat. If going to machine faces then I'd choose Flat bar as it tends to be cheaper than plate.

Yes that is correct. 6082 is the general go to material for most general machining, unless otherwise specified or other factors dictate. Its just down to you choosing which sections, bar or plate, tube etc will work for your application as Jazz has explained.

Please be very aware you are paying way way over the odds from the company you mentioned. Many other aluminium or non ferrous suppliers will also cut materials at more competitive rates if cut pieces is what you are after.

I'm sure if you are uncertain of your application the guys here will be happy to advise you.
    Last edited by spluppit; 15-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Yes that is correct. 6082 is the general go to material for most general machining, unless otherwise specified or other factors dictate. Its just down to you choosing which sections, bar or plate, tube etc will work for your application as Jazz has explained.

Please be very aware you are paying way way over the odds from the company you mentioned. Many other aluminium or non ferrous suppliers will also cut materials at more competitive rates if cut pieces is what you are after.

I'm sure if you are uncertain of your application the guys here will be happy to advise you.
    thank you. Im making some custom water blocks for a friend of mine who is into radio.

your right about aluminiumwarehouse the price seemed reasonable at first untill i got to the checkout. If you can recommend anywhere that would be great. Even ebay offcuts seem quite expensive.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Try www.clickmetal.co.uk, my general go to company.

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Even ebay offcuts seem quite expensive.
    THIS!, I've recently realised I've been spending more by weight buying either bar or sheet material as offcuts from eBay than it would cost to buy from a decent supplier, who will supply exactly what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    THIS!, I've recently realised I've been spending more by weight buying either bar or sheet material as offcuts from eBay than it would cost to buy from a decent supplier, who will supply exactly what you need.
    Yeah. Its just postage from these sites that have been suggested that is the issue for me. I really need to find a local supplier.

Thank you. I want to to make a z axis plate to mount my spindle. If i can find somewhere that it more competitive than id be happy to purchase in small bulk. Great if you could help wit that.

i bought some flat plate off ebay and its warped and the seller said "Hi As previously stated there is no flatness tolerance on cut plate, this is industry standard. You also say on a different message that you order flat bar so expected it to be flat, no where in the title does it mention flat bar, do i'm not sure why you felt you would be getting flat bar rather than plate."
    Last edited by dfox1787; 24-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information