. .
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewuk View Post
    The spindles from Portsmouth are the 3 pin type, I don't know if that means anything.I have to say delivery was fast and it was well packaged,I paid £218.00 from lovehappyshopping.

I received mine a few weeks ago from industry-village and it has a silver end cap where the connector goes and its got 4 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotty101 View Post
    I received mine a few weeks ago from industry-village and it has a silver end cap where the connector goes and its got 4 pins.
    Some have 3 some have 4 but only 3 of the 4 pins are used the 4th pin is unconnected to anything. Some use it for an earth.!

Hi Clive, the spindle has got 4 entries whereas the VFD has got 3 entries. Do i need to use the same cable for both connections? Also, should a power supply for the spindle be included in the package that I have bought?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This is the type of cable you need for the spindle http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/CY-Cable-4-Core.html 1mm or 1.5mm your choice. ..Clive

The VFD is the power supply/controller for the spindle. You need to connect power directly to the VFD terminals and it will control the power to the spindle.

See the first post in this thread for connection details.
    Last edited by IanS1; 13-02-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valeria caltabiano View Post
    Hi Clive, the spindle has got 4 entries whereas the VFD has got 3 entries. Do i need to use the same cable for both connections? Also, should a power supply for the spindle be included in the package that I have bought?
    Valeria, It sounds like you have very little experience with electronics so I seriously suggest you get someone with more experience to do this for you.

Your dealing with High voltage and very fiddly connectors and if got wrong it's very easy to damage the VFD and spindle beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Valeria, It sounds like you have very little experience with electronics so I seriously suggest you get someone with more experience to do this for you.

Your dealing with High voltage and very fiddly connectors and if got wrong it's very easy to damage the VFD and spindle beyond repair.
    Yes and potentially do yourself some serious damage. If you're not 100% certain get an electrician to wire this up for you. With mains voltage, it's better to be safe than dead.

Lives in Krakow, Poland. Last Activity: 08-03-2016 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 12.
    Hi.
    I'm about to buy a Chinese spindle and going trough ebay and this forum I found 3kW water cooled spindle for 150GBP + shipping at couple of the PORTSMOUTH located sellers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KW-WATER-...item27db5b6994

It seems quite cheap for that power. Too cheap?

Some of the pictures of 3kW spindles says 380V. Anyone has experience with 3kW spindles?

Has anyone measured runout of this spindles and checked how many bearings they have(if that makes any difference?)

Best regards
    Bart
    Last edited by Bart; 28-04-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Just wired my spindle and VFD and followed the diagram in post 1 and it kept tripping.......that was because the pin numbers were different.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spindle_connector.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	15689

Had to cut and re-wire the VFD end as the spindle end is soldered.......still it works now so all good. Just have a look on your connector if you've got the 4 pin variant that's all
    Neil...

Build log...here

I recommend checking with a multimeter what the resistance it between each of the pins, as who knows if the companies making these spindles are consistent. You should get a couple of ohms between the motor terminals and zero ohms to the spindle body, or high impedance when they don't bother with the earth.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-07-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Hi everyone.

FYI, I just ordered a complete spindle kit from Kevin Ho at ROB BEARING AND MECHANICAL PARTS on AliExpress.

They don't sell it as is, but if you contact him they'll make you a better price than the kit for which I gave the link. Instead of 417 Euros from the original seller (288€ kit + 129€ shipping), I paid 360€ (US $400 round !). I haven't received the kit yet, but I have made quite a few orders with this seller and everything arrives on time and in great condition. Always well packed. He's even offered me some couplers I had forgotten in my last order. It's a factory that produces linear motion stuff but they can order anything you want.

I'll post pictures of the kit when I receive it, but I have no doubts it's worth the price.

Only thing missing is a nice bucket of water, that will prevent you from having to buy a radiator and a fan. With 20-25L bucket you're good to go... you'll be long dead before your spindle raises the water temperature by 10°C !
    Last edited by eurikain; 18-08-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information