. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lol
    don't think she like the idea of been in the cold garage cutting out shapes with a scroll saw hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by jmac80 View Post
    does anyone have a small chinese style router i could send a small bit of aluminium sheet to to see if it cuts a shape ok?
    i just don't want to spend a heap of money on one if it doesn't work! :)
    It will to some extent depend on how it's cut.
    If you use a single flute ally cutter with a bit of light lube and have Cam software that will generate paths that move around the shape whilst ramipng down into the material at a constant rate, you should get a fairly neat cut. This is because you can set the depth of cut so it doesn't overstretch the machine rigidity whilst getting your part out at the optimum speed without multiple tool retractions.
    Personally I wouldn't miss out on the chance to buy a CNC mill, Cad/Cam software and fly press ;-)

- Nick

With the scroll saw you could get sharp internal corners but will a mill/router they would only be as tight as the cutter diameter allows then you're into hand filing. (unless there's a method I don't know about)

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    With the scroll saw you could get sharp internal corners but will a mill/router they would only be as tight as the cutter diameter allows then you're into hand filing. (unless there's a method I don't know about)
    I think you're right, if the volume is low enough then hand cutting is always cheaper than buying or making new equipment

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I think you're right, if the volume is low enough then hand cutting is always cheaper than buying or making new equipment
    yes but have you seen the price of a decent scroll saw? lol
    hegner multicut se is about £900 heheh
    I suppose i could take a chance on a cheap proxxon scroll saw at about £120... but you always hear "buy cheap, buy twice" :)

2 Hegners on ebay now

hegner saw | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by jmac80 View Post
    does anyone have a small chinese style router i could send a small bit of aluminium sheet to to see if it cuts a shape ok?
    i just don't want to spend a heap of money on one if it doesn't work! :)
    First let me say the Cheap-O Chinese machines with the better spindle will be strong enough.! . . BUT. . .Unfortunately there's even more to it than what you think.?
    To cut this stuff with any kind of finish you'll need flood coolant or a very Good Mist system with compressed air.

Then you have the problem of Holding down very small parts and Thin material.? It's a night mare and Even Vacuum won't help unless used with special Jigs has the parts are so small.

If you are bent on CNC then I wouldn't recommend the Chinese machines anyway has they are poor quality and can be troublesome which if your not CNC savy you won't want to deal with.
    Router Style machine will Cut what you want no problem and just has good has any mill can. But Like the Mill it will need the correct cutters and tool-paths along with Flood coolant/Mist and serious thought on best way to hold down.

My honest opinion is to Seriously look at using a Punch press if volume is needed or stay with the Scroll saw thinking.!

Agree, the scroll saw sounds far better when it comes to small thin metal pieces. I have a Rexon scroll saw which is okay if I need very tight curves otherwise I'd use a bandsaw every time but you would need to make a better insert from wood around the blade with a smaller gap than the original.

For your job maybe one of these ?

Jet JWBS-9 Bench Top Bandsaw - Bandsaws - Sawing - Wood Working | Axminster.co.uk
    Proxxon MBS 240/E Micro-Bandsaw - Modelling Tools - Modelling - Crafts & Hobbies | Axminster.co.uk

I made 20 of these competition prize badges in 3mm brass -

I cut them on a bandsaw but if I had to make any more I think I'd CNC the profile and just sort out the sharp corners on the saw,

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I cut them on a bandsaw but if I had to make any more I think I'd CNC the profile and just sort out the sharp corners on the saw,

- Nick
    Nice Job that Nick but cutting 3mm brass is Sooooo much nicer and easier than shitty 1.5mm 1020 Ali chewing gum. . Lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information